PDA

View Full Version : Need advice tangalooma trip

Spaniard_King
31-12-2004, 09:20 AM
Hi Guys,

wanna head over to Tangalooma/moreton for the day, Leaving from Gold Coast towing boat to suitable ramp ect.

Info I need

A good ramp to use.

Best route to take to get to Tangalooma

what is acceptable weather conditions to make trip (northerlies any good?)

I Have a 580 Haines with 130 4banger to make trip in. How much fuel will I need, hopefully 160l will be enough

Many Thanks

Garry

mackmauler
31-12-2004, 09:31 AM
Garry, you will get 100 different options, people all over brissie will have there faviourites, mouth of brissie river near fishermans island/white island is pretty good or manly further south, depends how much you or your buddys like rough water but 20 knots is plenty for most, its about 35ks out from those ramps so return ya lookin at no more than 100 ks and ya honda probly would burn 60L max for the day without to much deviation.

damons33
31-12-2004, 09:59 AM
in that boat with that fuel i would leave from a ramp closest to your house! on the gold coast!
get a chart and plot a course to tangas'
do you have a chartplotter gps...... did you get this boat for xmas?
a boat like that would do it easy in 2hrs from the gold coast!
happy boating!
damon

Spaniard_King
31-12-2004, 10:21 AM
Thanks Guys

Mackmauler,

Probably end up goin from manly, just hopin the weather is gonna play the game. SWMBO doesn't like too much wind/chop

Damons33, had me boat for 2 yrs now nearly clocked up 300hrs (no more than 10% trollin too) ;D. Missed out on doin this trip last year as SWMBO had a heart attack (no I aint jokin). I actually fish in company of another regular fisho on this board, if I stood st the front of my house I could probably cast a 40grm slug into his boat :o....his name...Heath.

What would be handy would be the best route once in the water at manly and things to avoid as I will probably come back at night using my trusty eyes and ever faithfull GPS

Garry

webby
31-12-2004, 10:54 AM
Garry If headin from manly just go strait out bottom of green island then plot a course straight to the 4 beacons, theirs nothing in the way.
Some of these might help, and check on the way across for accuracry with your gps.
Manly harbour beacons 27.26.618 153.21.717
Huybers beacon red top of wello 27.26.872 153.14.706
mb 2 beacon eastern side of mud 27.12.079 153.18.688
4 beacons 27.14.000 153.20.000
tanga leads 27.11.474 153.21.741.
regards

Spaniard_King
31-12-2004, 11:35 AM
Thanks Webby,

that was a big help,

Garry

Big_Kev
31-12-2004, 02:47 PM
Gary make sure you mark the point at the end of the Jack Robby leeds out from the Manly harbour before running around the end of Green.
It is hard to see with all the lights in the background to pick up the leeds, watch for other boats heading out after dark with poor lighting on as well.
I always go between Green and St Helena but can't recomend this without experience, the bottom end is the safer bet.
Webby is right on the money.
The run up the inside of the islands (green, helena and mud) is shallow in parts and you will bottom out on low tide if not right on the money.
It is a great spot at Tanga's on a good day but will be crowded on a non work day.
Cheers Kev. 8)

damons33
31-12-2004, 02:56 PM
me and spot x was talking about the reefs around peel just the other day it has brought grief to alot of boats before the current beacon setup! also the bank on the rainbow.
wow! webby you are ex-navy.
you can't take the navy out of the navigator!lol
happy new year'
damon

3Vs
01-01-2005, 04:31 AM
Gary

The run from Fisherman Islands is pretty easy, lots of big beacons and visual marks and a wide, clear channel. sent you a PM.

Spaniard_King
01-01-2005, 05:11 AM
3 vs

thanks mate, that could be handy.

are you fishin on the goldy much over the next few weeks?

Garry

3Vs
01-01-2005, 06:04 AM
Have a fair bit of work on over the next couple of weeks. Going to do a spotty run in the bay early next week and was having a look at a Spot X trip on the 15th or 16th.

skippa
02-01-2005, 04:58 AM
Garry,

Rob's right, u'll get a heap of different suggestion all good, from experienced guys here.

My 2 bob's worth is, if SWMBO doesn't like much chop and you have kids going along, (and this works well when leaving from Manly) try heading to the Sandhills and do the run up the inside of Moreton to Tangas. Most times you'll see Turtles, Dugons and Dolphins, our kids used to love this trip and it's well protected from any S or S/E. Just another thought.

If you plan to come after dark I'd follow Webby's Marks back, clear run and with any luck you'll have a #N/E er following you.

It certainly is a lovely trip, who'd be without a boat.

Hope this helps and you guys have a great day.

Cheers,
Tony # 8)

Cheech
02-01-2005, 05:13 AM
With the family, I head out early, and aim to return about 1.00pm. If you leave it any later, the winds normally kick in. Much nicer ride heading out early and return early. Better for the kids also as the sun is not as harsh.

If you use Fishermans Island, just try not to return at high tide as the beach disappears into rocks.

Manly is good.

Fishermans Island is easier in the dark as you just head straight for the Measured Mile and the Brisbane leads. Reminds me of a runway at night.

Cheech