PDA

View Full Version : New to the Forums

DavidT
04-01-2005, 06:43 AM
Hello Everyone,

I am new to these forums, a freind of mine told me about them after i was bugging him for some info on where to go fishing in the bay.

I hope to gain as much info from this site as possible, and hopfully enrich my fishing experience. I have only just purchased my boat about 4 months ago, and for the last 3 it has been getting some upgrades done to it, so i am a newbie (I guess that would be the thing to say) to the Bay.

Cheers,

David.

buggerit
04-01-2005, 06:49 AM
Welcome David i'm sure you will find there are a lot of helpful people on this site only too happy to help .

Kev

DavidT
04-01-2005, 07:54 AM
Hello Kev,

Well i am still learning to navigate my way around the smaller Islands of the Bay, i only have a small boat but it does the trick for me :)

I also in the learning stages fo what i can expect to catch at what areas and the best times to be targeting these areas.

So i have heaps of threads to read, and plenty of catch up on the reports that have been generated by the members of this forum.

Cheers,

David.

webby
04-01-2005, 09:33 AM
Hi Dave, What size is your rig, will then be able to give you some info on your bay capabilities.
regards

DavidT
04-01-2005, 11:48 AM
Hi Dave, What size is your rig, will then be able to give you some info on your bay capabilities.
regards

Hello Webby,

My Rig is a;

Make: Caribbean Wildcat
Size: Approx 4mtr
Hull: Fibre Glass
Engine: 1972 Model Evenrude 50Hp 2 Stroke

It is an old boat i would think, but it is my first and i am quite excited about going on the water with it. SO far i have taking it around, King, Peel and Green Islands, both times the water was really calm on the way out, but quite choppy and wavey on the way in, but the boat didnt seem to care it just kept ploughing along with little trouble, but i am still not sure of its limitations.

If i did it right you should see an image of it i took today, it has just come back from having a whole heap of work done to it at Marine Worx on Redland Bay RD, and is going back in as soon as Tony comes back of Holidays to finish of the rest of the work to be done too it.

Loof forward to any info you have :)

Cheers,

David.

DavidT
04-01-2005, 11:52 AM
Oh and i forgot to add that i have added the top on it, and also removed the back-to-back seats and found meself brand new still wrapped in plastic Staser seats, and put them in.

I think this was used for water skiing in its past time, but now in my hands it will be a fishing boat. I have still to change the steering from cable to a more easier and reliable form, and ad some more electronics to it.

But all-in-all i think it is a good littel first timer.

Cheers,

David.

webby
05-01-2005, 02:40 PM
Hi David. Sorry to put a dampner on your bay travels or exploration,
But in my opinion and gunnel heights shes really not built for much more then bay conditions in the 5-10kts range.
Not saying i havent seen rigs that size out there, but if your comtemplating any travels further then the close in inlands and maybe a good days weather to peel and rainbow, i would be making sure the weather was going to hold for your return journey.
Dont no how well your experiences in the bay are, but in the blink of a eye, she can turn from placid to nasty.
But there are some really good spots around the close in island like green, coochie, wello and macleay.
If thinking of Mud, shes capable but make sure that weather holds.
As for Harrys or the beacons, i would certainly be looking at variable winds 5-8kts, as it only takes a tide change to upset to upset these more open waters.
Sorry to ramble on, but that should give you some ideas as to your boats abilities
Get yourself a good bay contour map and start exploring those close in island, as they do hold fish, most usually wiz past them heading for the so called fishey moreton grounds.
regards

DavidT
05-01-2005, 03:18 PM
Hi David. Sorry to put a dampner on your bay travels or exploration,
But in my opinion and gunnel heights shes really not built for much more then bay conditions in the 5-10kts range.
Not saying i havent seen rigs that size out there, but if your comtemplating any travels further then the close in inlands and maybe a good days weather to peel and rainbow, i would be making sure the weather was going to hold for your return journey.
Dont no how well your experiences in the bay are, but in the blink of a eye, she can turn from placid to nasty.
But there are some really good spots around the close in island like green, coochie, wello and macleay.
If thinking of Mud, shes capable but make sure that weather holds.
As for Harrys or the beacons, i would certainly be looking at variable winds 5-8kts, as it only takes a tide change to upset to upset these more open waters.
Sorry to ramble on, but that should give you some ideas as to your boats abilities
Get yourself a good bay contour map and start exploring those close in island, as they do hold fish, most usually wiz past them heading for the so called fishey moreton grounds.
regards

Hello Webby,

Firstly thank you for the reply, much appreciated.

I figured as much, the purpose of getting thsi rig was for it to be a first timer, and just a small one to get me too the close Islands from the Wello Point Boat ramp. I took it out on Saturday, and just after llunch it starting blowing to about 20Kn, the boat didnt seem to care and just happily cruised through the waves, what was uncomfortable was being stationed, it rocked about a fair bit, but then again so did the other boats parked close by.

I purchased a Laminated map from Wellington point Marine, and i am using that to navigate me way around the bay, how ever it doesnt do one thing for me, and that is tell me where teh bloody fish are hiding, my Fish FInder/Sounder doesnt talk much to me either, it is one of those ones that just hides in the corner and tells me when i am about to run a ground :D

As for crusing aroung the bay in 5-10kn conditions, i have yet to see a day when it blows so ever gently, every day it seems to be no less then 15Kn or is that just my imagination?

As a last request, are you able to tell me if Green Islan and around King Islands if there are small reef systems, i would like to catch fish other then Bream and Whiting, they dont seem to pose much of a challenge these days.

Cheers,

David.

adriancorrea
05-01-2005, 03:31 PM
Hi David
Some good fish to be caught around Peel and Green islands.
Also you can give the wello reefs ago some good fish also coming from there.
Just flip back through the fishing reports plenty there about those islands inclose.
Welcome to ausfish hope its as helpfull to you as it has been to me.

Tight Lines
Adrian

skippa
05-01-2005, 03:35 PM
Geez,

Those boats bring back memories. David ur right, it proberly was used to water ski as many years ago my mate had one, bought it new I might add (I feel old now) and we used it for skiing. They were designed mainly for skiing, but also ok for general runabout stuff too (fishing or impressing the chicks, hey we were young then ;D )

U'll notice they have a moderate Vee not a Deep Vee which was an advantage with minimal wake for skiers. Max HP was 50 I think but Johnno's still moved along ok.

Take Webby's advise, u don't always need to venture 'offshore' as there are still plenty of options around Wello, some well within sight of the ramp.

She's a great little starter boat which I'm sure u will get many pleasurable days fishin' in.

Cheers,
Tony 8)

DavidT
05-01-2005, 03:37 PM
Hi David
Some good fish to be caught around Peel and Green islands.
Also you can give the wello reefs ago some good fish also coming from there.
Just flip back through the fishing reports plenty there about those islands inclose.
Welcome to ausfish hope its as helpfull to you as it has been to me.

Tight Lines
Adrian

Hello Adrian,

Just as the e-mail notification came in advising me of your post, i begun a quick search in the reports section, i hope to find some encouraging info, and any helpfull hints on the type of gear required, i have been a land based fisher for all my life being my first boat i am thinking i have so much to learn this will require many weekends of of hitting the water (Much to my wifes dislike)

Cheers,

David.

DavidT
05-01-2005, 03:45 PM
Geez,

Those boats bring back memories. David ur right, it proberly was used to water ski as many years ago my mate had one, bought it new I might add (I feel old now) and we used it for skiing. They were designed mainly for skiing, but also ok for general runabout stuff too (fishing or impressing the chicks, hey we were young then ;D )

U'll notice they have a moderate Vee not a Deep Vee which was an advantage with minimal wake for skiers. Max HP was 50 I think but Johnno's still moved along ok.

Take Webby's advise, u don't always need to venture 'offshore' as there are still plenty of options around Wello, some well within sight of the ramp.

She's a great little starter boat which I'm sure u will get many pleasurable days fishin' in.

Cheers,
Tony 8)

Thanx Skippa,

According to the manufactures plates of the boat, it can handle a 65HP, but i believe back in those days they rated the HP's at the top and not too the prop. TO be honest i wouldnt be game enough to go beyond the 50 on it now, it pulls 72Kph on the water now if i pull the top down, and 60-65K with the top up more then enough ofr close Islands.

Any ways thanx for posting, if you see me out on the water dont be shy pull up and say hello.

Cheers,

David.

Touchy - R.I.P.
06-01-2005, 03:36 AM
G'Day There David & welcome to the site,Yep the first boat is a great buzz eh!,I can nearly remember my first one ;D, It sounds like you are on the right track tho', learn your boat,what it can & cannot do ect & get to know the areas,that will only come with the time spent on the water( I'm sure your wife will come to understand but probably later than sooner :P ;D ;D ;D), Webby has some good advice there as well in that a lot of fish are passed by in close on the way out further, How about letting me know what type of fish you are going to chase & if you dont have any reading material about them I can probably dig up a few back issues of the Bush n Beach fishing mag that could help with local bay info. Cheers Touchy.><> ><> ><>.

DavidT
06-01-2005, 06:46 AM
G'Day There David & welcome to the site,Yep the first boat is a great buzz eh!,I can nearly remember my first one ;D, It sounds like you are on the right track tho', learn your boat,what it can & cannot do ect & get to know the areas,that will only come with the time spent on the water( I'm sure your wife will come to understand but probably later than sooner :P ;D ;D ;D), Webby has some good advice there as well in that a lot of fish are passed by in close on the way out further, How about letting me know what type of fish you are going to chase & if you dont have any reading material about them I can probably dig up a few back issues of the Bush n Beach fishing mag that could help with local bay info. Cheers Touchy.><> ><> ><>.

Hey Touchy,

I am chasing anything that puts up a fight, to be honest i dont eat much of what i catch i just enjoy being out on the water, wetting a line and catching the bigest one possible so i can boast about it for a week or so (well at least till the next trip), being on the water is just teh best way to escape people and the hussle and bussle of the main land.

Main fish i would like to chase are:

Snapper (Large if possible)

Squire (As large as they come)

Big Bream

And anything else the bay can produce, the only think i dont like are those long skinny brown things that look like miniture flat heads, those things are pests.

Cheers,

David.

philip_thomson
06-01-2005, 07:34 AM
g'day David welcome to the site you will really enjoy it here lots of great people.

i agree with you that its great just to be out on the water with a line in the water. you can totally forget about the city and work catching a fish is a bonus.

im sure that any of those southern bay island would be a great place to head for a day trip. take the mrs along take a picnic basket and have some rods out. doesn't get much better than that. (except for catching a marlin "merlin") ;D :-X

good luck with the fishing and the boat

cheers phil

DavidT
06-01-2005, 11:03 AM
g'day David welcome to the site you will really enjoy it here lots of great people.

i agree with you that its great just to be out on the water with a line in the water. you can totally forget about the city and work catching a fish is a bonus.

im sure that any of those southern bay island would be a great place to head for a day trip. take the mrs along take a picnic basket and have some rods out. doesn't get much better than that. (except for catching a marlin "merlin") ;D :-X

good luck with the fishing and the boat

cheers phil

Thank you Phil,

I would the they wife with me on a trip, how ever the boat does nto fit the kids as well, i will in about 12 months upgrade to a more of a larger boat for exactly those days, but untill then they will have to make do with going to the beach at wello point :D

Cheers,

David.

skippa
06-01-2005, 07:28 PM
David,

Those long skinny Flathead looking things ARE a PEST. I'm guessing you are refering to what's commonly known as GRINNERS.

And I can tell you that not one leaves my boat alive. Actually, I reckon they should be named Motherinlaw fish. Slimy, ugly with a mouth full of dangerous teeth and a bad attitude.

Geez, I hope Mrs Skippa doesn't read this. :-X

Cheers,
Tony 8)

DavidT
06-01-2005, 09:11 PM
David,

Those long skinny Flathead looking things ARE a PEST. I'm guessing you are refering to what's commonly known as GRINNERS.

And I can tell you that not one leaves my boat alive. Actually, I reckon they should be named Motherinlaw fish. Slimy, ugly with a mouth full of dangerous teeth and a bad attitude.

Geez, I hope Mrs Skippa doesn't read this. :-X

Cheers,
Tony 8)

Bugger your right, thats them they have those sharp little teeth and they allways steal me expensive bait, but they never touch teh cheap stuff.

Cheers,

David.