PDA

View Full Version : Tsunami Victims support

Dug
06-01-2005, 04:04 AM
Just thinking, a lot of the villages wiped out were fishing villages.

If any of us have spare fishing gear lying round it may help these people get back to normal if they can catch some food.

Donating fishing line, hooks, lures, tackle, etc may help. There are lots of donation points around the country, our local SES is sending a container to Sri Lanka. So have a think about clearing your the shed and giving to a good cause.

If you cannot find someone local to send the stuff, if you can get it to me in Maroochydore, I will make sure it gets into the container we are sending.

Cheers Thanks doug

indoturtle
06-01-2005, 07:50 AM
On ya Doug, good to see some practical ideas. Check out my latest message for an idea to help fishermen in Indo. Love to have you on board.
Indoturtle

Nugget
06-01-2005, 08:47 AM
An organisation called Mercy Ships is collecting old nets - cast nets, drag nets and the like - to send to fishing villages in southern Asia.
Anyone wanting to help should ring Graham Foley on
(07) 5492-6956

Dave ><>

Dug
06-01-2005, 02:32 PM
Good work guys!

Thanks

doug

Fitzy
06-01-2005, 04:52 PM
Saw a doco that said the UN provides Eugenol (active constituent of clove oil) to indonesian fisherman for free to stun the fish. This was to stop the endemic use of cyanide to stun fish that also kills coral.
I dont know if lures, hooks, sinkers & nets will be utilised however I'm sure the affected folks will be happy with anything they get.
I've donated $100. I'll leave it up to the experts to work out where it is best used.

Cheers,

fitzy..

Dug
07-01-2005, 01:45 PM
I had a talk to the coordinator collecting material today. She said while money is great and much appreciated, physical goods have an immediate physical and psychological benefit. She had not considered fishing tackle but thinks it is a great idea and has put out a message requesting it from her group. So if you do have spare line or hooks etc consider sending them to a good cause.