PDA

View Full Version : AGE = BAG LIMIT ???

Spaniard_King
07-01-2005, 09:37 AM
Hi Guyz,

It's only just been brought to my attention but aparently there is a law in QLD that you need to be 12yrs old to qualify for a bag limit.

Firstly has anyone had an experience with this age
- bag limit?

Does this mean a young fisho cannot go down the creek and catch a feed ???

My young bloke has been fishin with me for the past 5 yrs he now 10 pulls in most fish I do. He is up for a spaniard this year by my reconing. He will sit at the front of or boat and spin up Spotties like there is no tomorrow, now I get told he does not qualify for a bag limit.
Does this mean he cannot keep a single fish... where does this stop!

He has his own boat and fishes the local creek does this mean he cannot keep any fish he catches?

By the way NSW does not have an age/bag limt

regards

Garry

agnes_jack
07-01-2005, 09:41 AM
G'day Gary
I hav'nt heard that one before, is it listed in the dpi regs?
I hope not that sucks!
I will also have to inform my son that he has been a criminal for most of his younger days! 8)
# # # # # # #Regards, Tony :-/ :-/ :-/

PS- or am I reading this wrong and you mean kids under 12 are not restricted by bag limits?

agnes_jack
07-01-2005, 10:00 AM
Gary
Just spoke to the DPI, they say that if a child is capable of catching fish he is under the same rules as an adult, and does have a bag limit.
Whew!!!!
Regards, Tony

bay_firey
07-01-2005, 10:12 AM
Garry
are you saying that under 12 kids don't qualify for a bag as per example

eg- spotties - b/l 5
2 adults & 1 under 12 on board
11 fish on ice
Which is illegal if the child is under 12 ??

craigie
07-01-2005, 10:15 AM
You were too quick for me Tony ;D

No restrictions on age when it comes to bag limits, so in theory and according to the Regs, even a baby would be entitled to keep their 5 Spotties ::)

Only restrictions that might come into play in this case are - Must be 15 y/o to use Crabbing aparatus, as well as 15 y/o to use a baitnet/castnet (or otherwise being supervised by someone of 15 y/o/a).

Cheers
Craigie.

agnes_jack
07-01-2005, 10:21 AM
Craigie
They told me that so long as a kid is "capable" of catching fish.
In that senario, a baby would not qualify.
But as in all questions I have ever put to the DPI, it would depend on who you spoke to on the day! ::) ::) ::)

Regards, Tony

Heath
07-01-2005, 10:43 AM
Craigie
They told me that so long as a kid is "capable" of catching fish.
In that senario, a baby would not qualify.
But as in all questions I have ever put to the DPI, it would depend on who you spoke to on the day! ::) ::) ::)

# # # # # # # #Regards, Tony

It was I that brought it up with Garry at a BBQ a while back. DPI fella at the last Boat show I went to told me when I asked at what age does the Bag limit apply because a few of the boys take their young fellas out. The DPI fella told me 12.

Looks like the little fella is right Gaz, and rightly so.

Spaniard_King
07-01-2005, 11:49 AM
Hi Guyz,

agnes_jack thanks for ringing them...was about to dive for the tele book too.

So now that we know that if they are capable of catchin them they are ok I ask how is everyone gonna proove this?

I got video footage :o.... we video all our trips...well nearly all ::)

Garry

agnes_jack
07-01-2005, 11:57 AM
Garry
That's the same scenario as fishing with a mate.
How do you prove that he got his bag limit and you didn't get twice your bag limit.
Unless they have a satelite camera or something how do they prove it.
I think the onus is on them to prove you have broken the law, hence the "if the child is capable of catching fish" If the child was a baby they would be able to prove that you caught the fish.

Regards, Tony

Regards, Tony

Cheech
07-01-2005, 02:02 PM
Hmmmmm,,,

My question is, is it actually written in the regs that a person has to be a certain age or of a certain capacity level. I mean, I use to take out my son when he was 3 or 4 and he was not usually able to reel in anything that was of legal size. Just not strong enough then. The fact that dad had to help had no bearing to us on the fact that he caught the fish.

A comparison,, what about the T3 lanes on the highway. We used them all the time when we had 2 babys/toddlers. Just says occupants.

Unless there is something that specifically states otherwise, a person is a person.

Even the per person bag limit. It says there is a bag limit of x per person. But does it actually say that the person has to have caught all those x number of fish? I have not checked the regs on that one, but I don't think it stated that. Just an in possession limit compared to a catch limit.

sorry, I just get annoyed when government departments (or anyone else for that matter) try to tell you something that is not actually true. Been bulls@%@ed to to many times.

Cheech

Cheech
07-01-2005, 03:48 PM
Oh my god!! I just re-read my post and I sound like one or 2 others from this site, and not me. The glass is half full,,, really,,,

Short version is,, if you go to the website, print off the regs and abide by the written word, then you are complying.

Fitzy
07-01-2005, 06:34 PM
Dont quote me, but I vaguely remember something about an minimum age in regard to apparatus ie crab,crayfish or bait traps.

My boy is still too young to go fishing yet, hence my not being up to speed on those regs.

Cheers,

fitzy..

Mick
08-01-2005, 03:23 AM
Agnes, I doubt there would be a magistrate alive that would convict a fisho for catching twice his bag limit with someone else in the boat that didn't catch one fish.
The inspecting officer (game one at that) that issues an infringement for such an offence would have to prove beyond reasonable doubt (97% certain) that the total catch was caught equally between 2 fishos. The officer would also have to prove each element of the law which includes time, date and place. I doubt an officer could prove what time each fish was pulled in by which fisho. I think the only way a magistrate would rule in favour of the DPI officer, is if the fishos admitted on tape who caught the fish, but still, I can think of ways out of that as well. I would love to hear from anyone that has experienced this type of scenerio, or better still would love to represent a fisho in court that has been charged with this type of offence.

RobSee
08-01-2005, 04:31 AM
I think you would struggle to find a DPI officer keen to nick someone and their "kids" (whatever the age) for catching inexcess of the bag limit of the capable fishos in the boat.
They would get their arses kicked if they tried to take someone to court over some of the examples listed above.
Also - who out there, takes a child incapable of fishing on a mackeral trip? (having said that - some times when I went mackeral fishing, all I was capable of doing was creating a nice chewed up burly trail....... tasty!!)

The DPI officers have more common sense than to bite of that sort of argument

agnes_jack
08-01-2005, 05:39 AM
Robsee
You obviously havn't spoken to some of the DPI officers I have had to deal with!!!

Regards, Tony ;D ;D ;D ;D :-X