PDA

View Full Version : Fish names

eeww-worms
08-01-2005, 05:21 AM
As I may have already mentioned I am pretty new to fishing.

wanting to be a responsible fishertype person I got myself a fish identification book and I have the up-to-date guidelines for size and bag limits for Qld and NSW.

all this is doing me little good when there are a gazillion different names for a particular fish....and some names are not even in the book (I expect they are just colloquial names).

and while I am having a b*tch session.....

what is a noah?

my (non fishing ) partner assures me it's a type of fish that was eating for breakfast on the Ark and as such is probably a smoked kipper :)

whiteman
08-01-2005, 05:28 AM
Grants Guide to Fishes ($80 if you shop around)

A Shark.

eeww-worms
08-01-2005, 05:32 AM
Grant's Guide to Fishes...... is a great tome (even if the grammar of the title irks the @&$ out of me)....

but it is hardly a handy sized book you can have in your back pocket while out and about.

agnes_jack
08-01-2005, 05:35 AM
G'day Worms!!
The best way to go is to get used to the latin names.
It can be a bit confusing, but common names vary so much depending on what part of the country you are in, it is the only way to be sure of the ID.
As whiteman said, Grants is a great book and in a lot of cases it also gives several common names to refer to. If you send me a pm with your address, I can send you one of the DPI's latest coral reef fin fish books. These have a few noted points for easy ID of most crff.
These are free, but I would ask that you send me a few stamps to cover postage.

Regards, Tony ;)

ba229
08-01-2005, 06:24 AM
my (non fishing ) as such is probably a smoked kipper :)

Grant's Guide to Fishes...... is a great tome

Sounds like we may have a new Render. :-)

gunna
08-01-2005, 06:29 AM
what is a noah?

my (non fishing ) partner assures me #it's a type of fish that was eating for breakfast on the Ark and as such is probably a smoked kipper :)

Rhyming Slang

Noah's Ark = SHARK [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Big_Kev
08-01-2005, 06:40 AM
Noahs are sharks.
They call them Noahs because they know everything, and who's goning to argue with them.

Mick
08-01-2005, 08:55 AM
I hate all the double up names of fish. I recently read somewhere that about 40 odd fish have just been relisted as proper common names, that are ment to be "THE OFFICIOL" names of fish.
Devocean, if you call a mangrove jack a red bream one more time i am going to throw you out of the boat. The Australian Oxford dictionary even tells you that a red bream is a snapper!
Mick

banshee
08-01-2005, 04:21 PM
The grammar in "Grants Guide to Fishes"is actualy correct if you are refering to the "Fishes"bit,many fish of the same species are fish but when refering to a collection of species they are refered to as fishes.