PDA

View Full Version : The last Rex Hunt ever?

Dug
10-01-2005, 01:22 PM
Just watching Rex Hunt fishing show and he introduced it as being the last Rex Hunt fishing show ever :o

I'm not sure if this is good or bad but the burbler has changed the way a lot of people feel about fishing so it will be the end of an era.

kc
10-01-2005, 01:30 PM
Bit sad if it was..love him or not he changed the way the general public looked at fishing. Gone (or soon to go) are most of the fishing shows. Escape with ET, Fish & 4 Wheels, Fishing Wild Australia, brownies Coast watch, all getting or got the chop!

Rex reintroduced fishing to kids via the electronic media and it is a great shame that he is gone.

It will only hasten the marginalisation of our sport if we no longer have a regular presence on TV. Another win for the political correct police.

KC

Derek Bullock
10-01-2005, 01:32 PM
Damn that was kinda sad.

I wonder who the next Rex Hunt will be ? ? ?

Derek

Derek Bullock
10-01-2005, 01:35 PM
It will only hasten the marginalisation of our sport if we no longer have a regular presence on TV. #Another win for the political correct police.

KC

What do you mean KC?

Derek

jeffo
10-01-2005, 01:35 PM
if some one wants to put up the money ill do it ;) ;D im sure there is plenty of guys on here capable of taking over the role...

dfox
10-01-2005, 01:39 PM
The more fishing shows the better, sorry to see another goooooonnne......

krtazy
10-01-2005, 01:41 PM
i think if nothing else that rex brought to the tv screen that not every fisho kills everything that they catch. people saw on tv that catch and release is common day practice now and most fisherman have respect for their resources. Like him or not he brought general awareness to the general public about our sport .

Nathanrb4
10-01-2005, 01:59 PM
I think its very sad day and love him or hate him fishos everywhere should be taking there hats off to him! Cheers Rexy here’s to a great 14 years!

Dirty_Mole
10-01-2005, 02:01 PM
Naa I reckone Dave Downie (not sure how to spell it) will be the next rex hunt as he does a great job every friday afternoon

cheers sam,

NeilD
10-01-2005, 02:53 PM
The loss of any of the major media personality associated with our sport is a blow to keeping fishing in the view of the general community. There was not much the general public could complain about the way Rex showed the sport to his wide audience. Bit of a shame to see him go.

Neil

brush
10-01-2005, 03:16 PM
Sad to see that Rex will not be on everyones TV this Year. He loaned me his Fishing for Whiting in Western Port Video back in the 80,s never forgot HOW to do it in and around Corio /Port phillip Bay , same applies everwhere EH' Yes we are all wiser for his experiences and his ripper show.

DavidT
10-01-2005, 03:38 PM
It is sad to see not just Rex but all the home grown fishing shows being taken of our TV screens, move over Good Decent TV for crappy dumb A@% stupid reality TV shows that bare no interest on Australian veiwing.

This may sound a little silly, but i intend on filming as many of my trips out on the water, either in my boat or others. Then cut and edit them and put them up on my web hosting servers and make them available for people to download them for their veiwing.

I have all the setup at home to make proper DVD's or VCD's so i might as well put it too good use, and i am sure many of good shows could be taken by local home grown bay fishing and local fisho's who are nto camera shy, and i am sure it will give people many veiwing hours of local fishing and bring that wanting to get back out on the water at first chance.

If anyone is interested in donating fishing time, and some secrets :) to this little hobby, and reckon they can put on a good show I.E catch some good fish and show people the bay at its best, then lets talk serious about it late Jan when i get a better camera for filming them.

If the commercial TV stations dont want to do it, then there is nothing wrong with a few good fishos banding together and giving others some entertainment.

"Still in the thought process, but dedicated to seeing it work"

Cheers,

David.

vp3
10-01-2005, 03:39 PM
As the man says "yibata yibata" now it's nuggets turn.
Yes I'll miss his show, not many worth watching now only the channel 10 news fishing segment, maybe this could be the replacement.
Ian

davo
10-01-2005, 05:05 PM
It's a shame as he toned the Bullsh#t down in the later series. Yes he did a lot of good, but have you noticed that most of the outdoors shows hardly show fishing and it's usually with someone who acts like an idiot! I've stopped watching most of them as a result. If you don't have brand X or Y 4X4 or reel you can't (well thats what they make out)

One episode of Rex when they changed boat motor sponsers was a classic. He was in a Quinny with a Yammy on the back back and they put the alterative sponsers names on the both the motor or boat.

DICER
10-01-2005, 05:27 PM
I'm sure he will occupy the 5.30pm slot in Holland for another year. Very popular over there. Maybe he's done a deal to come over and carp fish!!

DICER

prawnhead
10-01-2005, 06:00 PM
I remember when I outfished Bushy, he used to be on that show. It was at Port Macquarie, I was there on a holiday when I was probably 11. It was in some river there. He was using live nippers and was with this fat bloke with a beard and they both had top of the line rods. I had dead prawns and some Kmart combo.

Out did them both!

Funny thing is I didn't realise who it was at the time. I was fishing with him, and I talked to him and said I always watch Rex Hunt and he was like, "Oh I watch that sometimes too." and he had a bit of a chuckle. I think he was way cut that I didn't recognise him.

Anyway later that day I watched the show and I was like I FISHED WITH THAT BLOKE TODAY.

Yeah, go me!

Dug
10-01-2005, 07:05 PM
Yeah Prawnhead, A living legend!

ba229
10-01-2005, 07:27 PM
but have you noticed that most of the outdoors shows hardly show fishing and it's usually with someone who acts like an idiot!

Couldn't agree with you more.

No fishing, no info on how and where to get fresh baits, NEVER any info on the rigs being used (except bloody Charlie Patonosta,s rig [spelling]), no info on tides or moon phases... in fact never any real information at all.

It was fun to watch some guy catch a fish or 2 in 30 min but as for helping me to achieve greater fishing goals???? nope sorry didn't help.

And i am not a very good fisherman by any stretch. So who were these shows actually helping?

After saying all this I do tune in when I can to dream about the day that I know it all and don't have to tell anyone how to do it cause it is assumed knowledge.

Time to bring on a real fishing show that shows how to do it (rather than what charter to do it with) and a personality that doesn't crap on when a fish is on the line or scream like an idiot when ever any fish is hooked (ie that moron on fishing and 4 wheels)

Can we have a fishing show that, rather than selling all the gear, actually informs the viewer of how to use the gear properly?

Craftsman
11-01-2005, 04:49 AM
The quality of the show went downhill once they got rid of Bushy and Starlo. Rex will live on via Foxtel for years to come though.

brush
11-01-2005, 05:18 AM
Did you ever read Rex,s Book on his life? Bloody good read.
I had not read much since my school/ business life many moons a go. I got that interested in the book, I read it over night. Its now Pride of Place in the book case in front of all the crap from my other life.

devocean
11-01-2005, 05:21 AM
Not been a great fan of Rexy but on a Sat or Sunday afternoon when the wind is blowin its arse out it was always a good fix

adriancorrea
11-01-2005, 05:38 AM
I too vote for Nugget
Sad to see them go.

Tight Lines
Adrian

Dodgy_Back
11-01-2005, 05:41 AM
Sad to say goodbye to Rex from my telly. As a Melbourne boy ,Rex came to our fishing club for a beer and a chat, he tried to convert us all to use 5 pound line on bream ,that was back in the stone age when I was 18 the old boys reckoned he was crazy , I swapped and had great fun ever since.

fishsmith
11-01-2005, 10:38 AM
Sounds like a case of a little paranoi'a to me "KC"... :o

Girella
11-01-2005, 12:09 PM
For those in need of a TV "fix"...

The AFC fishing comp Channel 10 on Sunday 12:30pm is well worth a look.

caveman
11-01-2005, 03:09 PM
did anyone notice ET as well they both fished the same dam and used the same guide

Reefmaster
11-01-2005, 03:10 PM
Rex was never i favourite of mine but i must say he has really made people aware of the catch and release process.

I must say i would have liked to see it stay on TV as its FISHING and not much of this is shown.

You think about the percantage of the population in Australia who fishes. Its amazing!but yet it struggles to be shown on TV. >:(

DavidT
Please stay in touch with your progress on making DVDs as iam extremly interested in making one very soon. Have taken a alot of footage of late but i need alot more. Hardest part is getting time to record when the fish are on the chew. Maybe you can record while we fish. :D

Cheers Greg

DavidT
11-01-2005, 03:31 PM
Hey Greg,

To make a whole DVD at full MPEG-2 Quality, i would need about 5-8 hours of filming time, this way once you edit it, and structure it properly you prob would end up with a maximum of 2-3 hours of Filming.

I have been spending some time on it whilst i wait for the go ahead from Work to install some equipment, and i have created a pretty good list of things to begin shooting soon, here is just a start;

1. Basic SP work (Creeks and RIvers)

2. Basic SP work (Bay too Deep water)

3. Basic Lure work (Creeks and Rivers)

4. Basic Lure work (Bay too deep water)

5. What Crab pots to use where

6. How to use a Crab pot

7. How to use a cast net

8. Where to use a cast net

9. What type of Fishing equipment to be used in certain waters

10. Basic Fishing Rules and Regs

The above are primarly just segments, having just a show that shows catching this and catching that often becomes morbed and boring, what i would like to think i can achieve from this is "Basic Education" as well.

I find people like myself lack some of the basic know-how and i have been fishing for 17 years (Dont ask) and i find this a bad thing in Rec fishing, it also results in people not knowingly doing things they shouldnt be doing.

The main objectives are;

A. Provide good local Fishing entertainment

B. Local Understanding of the fishing grounds

C. Education to the Uneducated and extra understanding

D. And just some all around good fun

I am working on the Web site now whilst i work out what filming equipment i am going to buy to do this, then work out how it is going to be structured, i just hope this hobby doesnt get me divorced :)

Anyways, interested to see your shoots, if they are on Digital CAM tapes and on a digital Video Camera i can put them onto DVD for you any time Un-Cut (So long as it will all fit on 1 DVD)

Just thinking out loud :) Sorry guys.

Cheers,

David.

Reefmaster
11-01-2005, 04:09 PM
David
will definatly be keeping in touch mate.
This is something that is a matter when not if. I have been looking around abit of late trying to find a company to do this for me but i would like alittle more footage.
I will have sponser's coming aboard to keep cost down and i will be speaking to an important fishing figure who also wishes to start something soon but will be on a big scale with many great fishos included. Where are you based David?
Cheers Greg

DavidT
11-01-2005, 04:38 PM
Greg,

I am based BaySide Brisbane, Birkdale to be exact, just PM me and i am happy to give you my number.

Cheers,

David.

Reefmaster
11-01-2005, 04:46 PM
Ripper David
Im on the border of Wello point and Alex hills. Small world
Cheers Greg