PDA

View Full Version : Bump on a snapper's head

Hutcho
08-01-2005, 11:07 AM
As far as I know, I don't believe science has fully proven why some snapper have a large bump on their head, and others do not.

I know some of you will say its there to knock off shell fish and bump crustaceans that are stuck to rocks etc for their food. If this is the case, then why don't those snapper have scars/marks on their heads from years and years of doing this when they are caught?

More commonly, the snapper that are caught over the reefs, do have the bump, whereas the big red of NZ and Sth Aust typically do not as they are not generally caught over large reef structures.

One idea I'll throw at you is that it is a type of parasite in the fish itself that causes the bone structure in the snapper to grow as such. Some snapper have them, and some don't and it doesn't harm the fish either way. This is also true that the snapper that have large bumps, also have large rubbery lips compared to their brothers and sisters who don't have the bump, and do not have these features. this could be a result of there being a type of parasite or such int he fish's system.

As I said, this has not been proven yet either way, but I reckon it would be interesting to see what different fisho's say about the famous snapper bump.

Cheers,
Hutcho

bignick
08-01-2005, 11:43 AM
I believe that the bump on a Snapper's head is due to them using their head to bump into reef of rock structure in search of food, using their heads to crack open shellfish or knock bits and pieces off the main structure. It may also be from chasing baitfish into spots too small for the Snapper to fit into, thereby bashing their heads trying to get at said baitfish. Nothing there but educated guesses. Mind you, I have caught Snapper offshore that have come up with fresh scars (ie. newly open wounds, sometimes bleeding) on their foreheads (bumps). These Snapper already had a pronounced bump anyway.

Cheers,
NICK.

baldyhead
08-01-2005, 01:14 PM
I thought that they mighta stored their Hormones in there.

Scott15
08-01-2005, 04:37 PM
I think this calls for Dr Harry :D

scott

Fishinmishin
08-01-2005, 07:55 PM
They are all the ones I've released after giving them a bit of a flogging for taking my bait intended for the grinners and stonefish. ;D

adriancorrea
08-01-2005, 09:17 PM
Hey fishinmission
How about you stop realeasing them and keep them for me lol

Tight Lines
Adrian

agnes_jack
09-01-2005, 05:14 AM
Hutcho
Here is a little bit of info on snapper humps, still doesn't say what the cause is for sure, might help though.

http://www.amonline.net.au/fishes/faq/hyperostosis.htm

jeffo
09-01-2005, 08:01 AM
great article in Dr julien peperals book "fish tales" about this subject. track it down. top book!!

caloundra
10-01-2005, 04:40 PM
to add to your question why do some snapper have a large nose like on the front cover of snapper success??

Daniel

fishsmith
10-01-2005, 09:34 PM
same thing Daniel, Hyperostosis...... :o

Girella
12-01-2005, 03:23 AM
I'm wondering whether DNA testing has ruled out slightly different species ??????