PDA

View Full Version : Where have your hooks been??

Scott15
07-01-2005, 03:26 PM
hey everyone.

just wondering if anyone has had their hooks or somebody else's hooks lodged in your body some way. if you have i would love to hear your story. better yet if you have any pics even better. [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

scott

Thunderbird
07-01-2005, 04:01 PM
Went for a quick fish down the brissy river one arvo with my farther and pet dog Holley to try a couple of new rods i had just finished.
Well as the old boy isn't great at knots so i rigged him up with a two hook panernosta, and opened the bait to throw on a worm, baited one hook and moved onto the next hook to bait it when the dopey dog stuck it's head in to have a look.
Next thing i knew the line was taught and the drag was screaming!
Yep i was connected to 45kg odd of rottwiler, once we finaly got the dog back and calmed down the hook was found to be embeded right in the middle of the nose, which couldn't be removed, so it was off to find a vet at 4 o'clock on sunday arvo.
Was the shortest fishing trip i'd ever been on :-[

Scott15
07-01-2005, 04:10 PM
bugger :o. through the nose now thats unlucky. poor dog. has it ever been fishing again ;D ;D

philip_thomson
07-01-2005, 04:13 PM
heard a story of a guy who was fly fishing and when casting the fly got stuck in behind his ear. so he went to the doctors to have it taken out. the doctor took it out and then placed the fly on the chair. the guy then sat in the chair and got the fly in his butt. the doctor took it out and then told the guy never to come and visit him again ;D

Scott15
07-01-2005, 04:16 PM
hahahhah obviously wasn't his day.

MrLuminous
07-01-2005, 04:31 PM
LOL
In the recent Coffs Harbour Hot Current Tournament a local boat was fishing and Husband and wife were on board.
husband skippering wife deckie and aa couple of other blokes.
They were bait fishing and with sets of 6 jig hooks the husband pulled up his line and swung around hooking his wife in the cheek. He cut the line and kept bait jigging because there were heaps around and the later on removed it.
When we were told the story i was histerical.
Another boat a lil while ago were trolling on the shelf when a deckie slipped and copped a gaff into his leg, he was turnin really pail and weak, and he wanted to stay out there but skip bought him back in, ended up on crutches, wasnt meant to be on a boat for 6 weeks, he was on the week after.
Cheers
Lumo

Willo
07-01-2005, 05:11 PM
Here's one for ya
I was on a house boat trip up the back of Fraser Island near the sandy straits Moored up about 3ks from Yankie Jack Creek.
Got up early one mornin and decided to jump in my tinnie and throw a few lures around the mangroves in Yankie jack creek' After afew cast decided to change lures but dropped a 6inch lure on the carpeted floor of boat and accidently kicked it under the back seat of the tinnie ,when I got down on my hands and knees and stretched under and grabbed the lure,then started to get up with lure in hand ,then bang,the back treble snagged up on the carpet on floor and drove front treble into finger.Here am I stuck under the back seat with my arse stuck up in the air with my hand caught under the seat. Nobody around for miles and house boat 3 ks away.Could move without driving hook in futher.Managed to get gutters(Which were blunt) from side tray with other hand and cut off treble that was in the carpet after about 10 mins of trying . Then had the problem of removeing Hook .once again cut treble of lure and used the loop of fishin line around hook with the push and yank hard method ,hook finally out and I;m stuffed motored back to hoouse boat and got the Mrs to get me two glasses of rum ,one to drink and the other to soak my finger in, worked lie a treat

ba229
07-01-2005, 06:06 PM
Last week....

Me and a mate in my boat chucking lures at tailor and another baot with 2 guys doing the same.

On the other boat I see one guy grab the back of his neck. Other guy looks at it and starts to laugh. I laugh, he laughs cause I am laughing and his mate is not happy.

Longnose pliers removed a hook he put there himself lol still funny.

I cop plenty in the hands but that is just part of fishing.

philip_thomson
07-01-2005, 06:08 PM
ouch thats not a nice place for a hook to be. have had countless hooks in the hands not nice.

more importantly how many tailor did u catch alex?

ba229
07-01-2005, 06:14 PM
Lets just say I had time, while hooked up to turn to my friend, lower my sunglasses and say "ahhhh yibbida yibbida".

lmao, you know you are having a good day when you can start to play games when playing fish.

The other guys did ok too.

bignick
07-01-2005, 06:16 PM
When I was a kid, I cleverly stuck a small Suicide Hook through my top lip. Had to cut off the length of line hanging from the hook, leaving about a 1-inch tag end hanging. It couldn't be pulled out as the barb had gone in deep. So, it was off to the doctor (Sunday afternoon; when these things always seem to happen) for a local anesthetic and the hook was pushed all the way through my lip, line and all. It was somewhat painful early in the piece and there are wild claims that I cried. I would beg to differ, and I will go to my grave continuing to do so.

Cheers,
NICK.

Blue_Escape
07-01-2005, 06:57 PM
Out fishing a few months ago with the wife and kids. Noticed some herring hanging around the back of the boat so chuck in the cast net & get a few. "I'll show the kids how to rig a livie!" ;) Cut off the small bream hook and pull out a nice shiny new chem sharpened 4/0.....pulling the knot tight with my teeth...the line slips..."Dad, why is there blood dripping from your chin?" :P :o Luckily ??? the hook was that sharp it actually cut right through and didn't lodge in my chin! Holding back expletives :-X I calmly proceeded to pin a herring and toss it out while blood dripped on my sleeve. It wasn't till the missus put some antiseptic on it that the pain kicked in :o :o

Blue

tshort
08-01-2005, 02:10 AM
Leant over the bow to pull the anchor. Heeled a rod that was in rod holder with lure hooked into hook keeper, barb lodged deep into back of heel. Spread eagle with rod firmly stuck in holder I had to re-tie the anchor reach around backwards and rip the hook out. I performed the operation then anaesthetised myself.

Mick
08-01-2005, 03:12 AM
Fishing hook injuries are a pain, but I will never complain about them again because a sting ray once showed me that his barb on the tail makes fishing hook injuries look like a walk in the park. Ouch!
Guys, I reccommend treating sting rays with lots of respect. Failing to do so may result in continuous hours of extreme pain. Oh, boiling water, straight from the kettle is the best first aid, or as hot as you can handle.

agnes_jack
08-01-2005, 03:51 AM
My brother in law and I were fishing for bass near yandina one new years day, I was sitting on a rock having a rest, when the brother in law decided to have a cast over my head. He swung the lure and embedded it both trebles in the top of my head!
It felt like the top of my head was pinched up in a bunch. The brother in law reckoned he could get it out with a pair of pliers, but after about 15-20 minutes of tugging and twisting, I decided I was better off leaving it in and going to the docs.
We drove about 15 mins into town, but when we got to the docs there was a sign on the door saying that he would not be back till later that afternoon. So we drove back to our bass spot and kept fishing. Eventually we got back to the docs and he cut the split rings and dug the trebles out. He put the trebles in a jar for me, complete with peices of scalp and hair on one. A few weeks later, for a laugh, I put the hairy treble on a lure and caught a nice bass on it!!!

Regards, Tony ;D ;D ;D ;D

agnes_jack
08-01-2005, 04:07 AM
Heres another one for you.
The missus was hanging lures up on the pegboard a little while ago, wearing a skimpy shirt with midriff showing.
She was stretching up to hang one on one of the top pegs, when she dropped it.
It stuck nicely into her belly!!!
oooch!

Regards, Tony ;D

Scott15
08-01-2005, 04:26 AM
lol ;D i like the bass one :D :D

Blue_Escape
08-01-2005, 04:41 AM
Heres another one for you.
The missus was hanging lures up on the pegboard a little while ago, wearing a skimpy shirt with midriff showing.
She was stretching up to hang one on one of the top pegs, when she dropped it.
It stuck #nicely into her belly!!!
oooch!

# # # # # #Regards, Tony ;D

Tony,
maybe you've discovered a new market for fisherwomen's "belly button jewelry" ;D ;D

Blue

Codswallop
08-01-2005, 08:41 AM
Recently read an article about a young bloke out squid-jigging with a mate. An airborne jig found its way into his mouth. [smiley=stunned.gif]To make matters worse, this unfortunate fella reflexively SWALLOWED! :o :o Has an unusual scar on his throat now, and has an aversion to calamari! ;D

13 years ago, preparing lures for fishing sojourn. All new trebles on lures, and all lures laid out neatly on ironing board. :D
Go to fridge for beer, and pass three year old on the way out. Crack beer, and hear 'crash' from ironing room. Whattha? ???Three year old walks out of room with lures in: tongue, cheek, jumper sleeve, hair and overalls! :o :o All removed with minimal blood or beer spilled. Now I have a new five-month old ........

MrLuminous
08-01-2005, 01:50 PM
Hey blue
Theres nothin bettr than a quick pierce job!!!
The other day i gave a seagull a beak piercing, smack bang perfect shot in its bottom beak. had nothing to take it out so i though to myself, people would die to have a piercing there, and this bird got it for thryin to eat my pillie off the rocks, lil bastard

Cheers
Lumo
P.S no birds were harmed in the process of the piercing, just an annoyin bloody pest!!

Scott15
08-01-2005, 03:22 PM
lol yer i've done a few birds aswell [smiley=behead.gif]

Dug
08-01-2005, 05:41 PM
I have stuck hooks in various body parts nothing serious, yet!

I came home and put my rod against the wall once a few seconds later there was an almighty ruckus, howl and the sound of a screaming ratchet drag.

Our cat had eaten a tiny bit of bait left on the hook and hooked up through the lip. He was a HUGE ginger tom mostly feral named Ivan ( the terrible )

I reeled him in and took the hook out, he just gave me a filthy look and wandered off to look for something else to eat.

While tailor fishing on Stradbroke island I managed to stick my finger in a big greenbacks mouth about 2kg. I was terrified to move so yelled at my mate to get me a knife, He yelled back "Get it yourself!" I will leave my reply to your imagination!

He got me the knife and I managed to prise open the fishes mouth with minimal damage to my finger, Though standing in waist deep water at dusk in a tailor feeding frenzy with a blood trail washing into the water was not comfortable, but it was not going to stop me from fishing! :P ;D

Remo
09-01-2005, 07:05 AM
I was fishing at the causeway in yeppoon one night when I hooked up on a fish. I worked the fish to the rocks where I was going to pull it in when the hook pulled. I felt the mono line slap my face and the sinker go past my ear. Thats when I noticed the hook had embeded it self in my right eye brow. So I cut the line and off to the doctor to get it removed.

From the time I got there he didn't stop laughing,the thing was I didnt think it was all that funny, I lost my barra!!

Scott15
09-01-2005, 03:02 PM
didnt get a hook in me but i was rock fishing at maroochydore start of last year. i had this bream on and it got stagged under a rock. which i thought it was a fare way in the water i pulled and pulled it wasnt gonna budge. so after a few minutes waiting for the fish to swim out i had a gut full. i started walking backwards further and further until i heard this loud as CRACK!!!. instink is to cover your head which i did and about 1 millsecond after the crack i fell to the ground and couldnt breath. what happed the sinker on my line which was about the size of a 20 cent peice came flying out of the water from about 5m away and hit my chest and winded me something cronic. after regaing my breath i looked at my chest the was this large lump and a big purple bruise.

scott

blaze
09-01-2005, 03:51 PM
Did the same with a sinker, but got me on the eye brow, massive amounts of blood, day by 4x4 to doctor. pulled the first aid kit out and put about 20 butterfly sticher things on it. Went to the doc about 3 days later, had head xray (found nithin in there, like brains), he left my buttefly strips there and said it was a good repair. not even a scar these days but i wont do it again.
cheers
blaze

PinHead
09-01-2005, 03:56 PM
Over the past 36 years, I have been lucky with hooks..never had one do any serious damage. I was wading in Day's gutter at Moreton quite a few years back..i can assue you that a sand crab latched onto ones big toe is not a comfortable experience...nor is a bloody filleting knife in the sole of the left foot very comfortable either.

dfox
09-01-2005, 04:21 PM
I too have been very fortunate not to have had a major incident, although a few macks have gone close.Others ive been with havent been so fortunate, like my cousin who showed me how well he could sharpen a victonox, meanwhile his rod got a bight, seeing we were fishing on a river bank he stuck it in the ground and grabed his rod, seconds later he kicked the blade and it cut between his big toe and the next toe and ran about 2 inches up the bone, "BLOOD"! :o Another was a mate in innisfail who was creek fishing in amoung logs with live shrimp and long shank hooks. He got a snag and after pulling pretty hard the shank of the hook snapped ,the remaining needle like shank shot back piercing his eye, thus came the nicname patch, he lost that eye.
p.s.- what type of lure can i catch an agnus jack on, tony?...foxy

Scott15
09-01-2005, 04:39 PM
at the pin a while back and the tailor were busting up. minutes before that i was using the knife and put it on the floor. totally forgot about it. got a bit excited and quickly walked to the back of the boat not noticing the knife on the floor kicked it and about 4cm of the knife went straight into the middle of my big toe :( :( :(. wasnt to bad bit of blood but nothing a bandaid couldnt fix :D :D

agnes_jack
10-01-2005, 04:14 AM
Foxy
Red shad snapbacks, DK snagmaster, tilsan barra, rapala shadrap.
etc, etc.

Regards, Tony ;) ;)

DICER
10-01-2005, 05:45 PM
if I post here I must not believe I'm cursed [smiley=hammer.gif].

No hooks past the barb yet. But muddies bite darn hard - but not as hard as "cooly" the cockatoo. Decidedly cheeky, they can unfortunately talk to you back as well. [smiley=argue.gif]

Muddies = fully pierce thumb (time to release~10 secs)
Mad cocky = fully mangled index finger (time to release~50secs)

DICER

devocean
11-01-2005, 05:23 AM
Was luring off the carwell jetty when I was a kid when my cousin wenbt to cast and the lure treble got stuck into my left but cheek. I screamed he yanked at it thinking it was stuck on the jetty. DFont know what hurt more getting it out or the tetnis injection I got right in the middle of the wound.

gunna
11-01-2005, 06:01 AM
Gee a lot of blokes have managed to stick themselves ;D. We managed the cat on a 4/0 out in Cunnamulla years ago when we inadvertently left a dead yabbie on the line & put the gear away under the house.

Buried a no 10 hook in the finger couple months back. They come out pretty easy.

Best one was walking with my brother through thickish bush on the riverbank on a cod trip not long back. The brother had his hard body wound up at the tip of the rod & kept getting it stuck in bushes. I suggested he clip it down on the hook holder near the reel seat. Next couple steps he swings his arm beside him & buries the treble in his thigh. Mister popular I wasn't ;D ;D ;D.

megan
11-01-2005, 08:02 AM
Travelling back from a days fish at Dingo Beach, put the rods in the back of the landcruiser with the 2 dogs. Went over a few bumps and heard a howl from the dog - treble hook went into the top part of the back leg past the barbs. Pushed the treble right through his leg then cut off the barbs and pulled it out. Poor fella.

zedjack33
11-01-2005, 10:49 AM
Nice work boy's.

Met my brother and another mate up in Darwin for a charter at Shady Camp (Why do they call it shady camp when there is no bloody shade). My brother had come up from Murray Bridge and myself and another mate came up from the Alice. We were all champing at the bit. All of us standing in the boat flicking, 2 one side and 2 the other. I lined up to cast and let it rip...........................................righ t in my brothers ear ;D ;D ;D It took some getting out.

I ended up with a huuuuuuuuuge bird nest. Bloody brother should'nt have those wing nuts hanging out so far I reck'n ::)

Cheers Zedjack33 [smiley=jester.gif] [smiley=jester.gif] [smiley=jester.gif]

imnotoriginal
11-01-2005, 06:01 PM
Lucky for me so far, I haven't had any go past the barb, but i've managed to hook a few cormorants before. A couple of blokes up on the jetty helped me get the hooks out of its throat so I could release it. Last trip to moreton island my mate got a whiting hook caught in his palm. I told him I knew a trick for getting the hook out with minimum pain and proceded to wrap some line around the bend of the hook and have a friend hold the eye down toward the palm. Yanked it quick as I could and she came out quickly. The colour came back to his face very quickly after that and he started telling me how grateful he was etc... The gratitude and colour disappeared again when I told him it was the first time i'd ever tried it ::)
Joel

NAFA
12-01-2005, 05:52 AM
Could move without driving hook in futher.Managed to get gutters(Which were blunt) from side tray with other hand and cut off treble that was in the carpet after about 10 mins of trying.#

Damn,
Thought you were going to say you cut off your finger, landed the fish of a lifetime and rowed the 3km back to the boat. :) Ah well.
A few years ago...
I was up near Bathurst somewhere fishing around a dam with a mate. Stepping over some rocks I felt a sharp pain in the back of my leg. My mate had slipped on the rock and dug the treble of the lure into the back of my leg. The worst part was he fell on his rod and was pulling down on it oblivious to my pain. A very uncomfortable ride home, a trip to the doc, and many beers later and all was right again.

Cheers

Brett_Hoskin
12-01-2005, 01:52 PM
Nice work boy's.

(Why do they call it shady camp when there is no bloody shade).

Cheers Zedjack33 [smiley=jester.gif] [smiley=jester.gif] [smiley=jester.gif]

There is that big banyan tree to the right of the ramp..But dont camp there or you are likely to be eaten alive by mozzies.