PDA

View Full Version : Govt Invests $1.76m in Redlands Boat Facilitie

Derek Bullock
12-01-2005, 11:32 AM
Press Release

Transport & Main Roads, Paul Lucas

06/01/05

GOVT INVESTS $1.76M IN REDLANDS BOAT FACILITIES

The Queensland Government is investing $1.76 million in recreational boat facilities throughout Redland Shire this financial year.

Minister for Transport Mr Paul Lucas said today a further $660,000 has already been earmarked for 2005-06 projects.

"Redland Shire is home to 9060 of Queensland's 188,700 registered recreational boats," he said.

"The good news for Redland Shire boaties doesn't end there. My department is currently finalising the 2005-06 boating facilities program and additional boat ramps are being considered."

Mr Lucas said the Beattie Government spent $80,000 to rebuild Victoria Point's northern boat ramp and $48,000 on repairs to the Wellington Point jetty last year.

"We are also contributing $200,000 to maintaining the access channel to the Redland Shire Council-owned Raby Bay boat ramp and $419,000 for dredging Toondah Harbour," he said.

"More than $990,000 worth of safety upgrade projects will start at several Redland boat facilities by June and a further $507,000 will follow in 2005-06."

Mr Lucas said the Government's Smart State Building Fund Program included safety upgrades for pedestrian access to Clayton Rd jetty at Amity Point and Junner St and Yabby St jetties at Dunwich.

"Similar work will be carried out in 2005-06 at jetties at Elizabeth St on Coochiemudlo Island, Weinam St at Redland Bay, Masters Ave at Victoria Point and Main Rd at Wellington Point," he said.

"The works will include new hand rails, balustrades and gangways, tactile pavers for the visually impaired and improved lighting.

"The projects will improve accessibility and safety for Redland's growing number of recreational boaties and will give people with disabilities better access to jetties," Mr Lucas said.

"The upgrades will also benefit boaties using ramps, as most jetties are near boat launching facilities and can be used to unload goods and passengers, and also form part of the boat queuing facilities at ramps."

Boat ramps at Raby Bay and Weinam Creek are owned and maintained by Redland Shire Council.

The Council also manages the Queensland Transport boat ramps and is responsible for their maintenance, cleaning and sand removal.

Structural repair costs are met by Queensland Transport, in consultation with the Council. All Redland boat ramp car parks were owned and controlled by the Council.

The State Government provides recreational boating infrastructure, including jetties, pontoons, ramps and navigational aids, along the State's 7400-kilometre coastline and on many islands and inland waterways.

Mr Lucas said Queensland Transport spent $22.5 million on boating facilities and related services in 2003-04. This compared to revenue of $10 million from boat registrations.

Media contact: Sonya Gillece 3237 1947 / 0407 166 084

Derek Bullock
12-01-2005, 11:35 AM
Mr Lucas said Queensland Transport spent $22.5 million on boating facilities and related services in 2003-04. This compared to revenue of $10 million from boat registrations.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. Interstesting figures.

Derek

Wezza
12-01-2005, 11:59 AM
Is not boat rego about $90.00 a year on average?? This would mean that they would have raised some 16.9 mil from boat rego??? Or am I wrong. ???

drb
12-01-2005, 12:03 PM
this is fast turning into a pissing comp ???

cooky
12-01-2005, 01:42 PM
PR spin - got to love it ;)

Sportfish_5
12-01-2005, 01:44 PM
Like to know how he exactly breaks down his figures, that makes it avg $53 per year per boat?

Wezza - It is a sliding scale based on size for boat rego.

My 5.5m boat costs me p/yr;
Boat Rego $93.45 (less $12.30 for fish restocking policy ;D)
Boat Trailer Rego $111.85

Min Boat rego is $58.65 and max is $232.60 not counting pensioner discount

Anyone know where u can get a breakdown of the size of registered boats ???

So Derek - why did you post that comment about interesting figures for ?

Cheers

Greg

Maria
12-01-2005, 01:57 PM
A wise man once said that "cynicism is intellectual treason". Food for thought. ::)

Ben

Derek Bullock
12-01-2005, 02:02 PM
Twice the amount of revenue spent. It just kinda caught my eye thats all.

I am not going to trawl back through old posts but I do recall something about people asking if the money from boat regos goes back into facilities.

I think that the figure may not include trailer rego. Cant find my rego certificate at the moment but recall mine being something like $53. Smaller boats maybe even less.

Does seem strange though that this should suddenly surface after the letters and emails that Paul Lucas and the Redlands Shire have received about the Weiman Creek matter.

Makes you wonder if he doesnt read the Chat Board. The comment "The Council also manages the Queensland Transport boat ramps and is responsible for their maintenance, cleaning and sand removal" seems to me to maybe in be in relation to another post on here.

Derek

Sportfish_5
12-01-2005, 02:03 PM
Yeah I think youre right about the timing lol ;D ;D

Cheers

Greg

propdinger
12-01-2005, 02:11 PM
i have a 3mtr tinnie and the rego on that is $53 so i think $53 is the cheapest these days

jeff

Sportfish_5
12-01-2005, 02:45 PM
Unbelievable - I just got my boat and trailer renewal in the mail today ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Greg

Fitzy
12-01-2005, 04:11 PM
Boat Rego $93.45 (less $12.30 for fish restocking policy #;D)

It certainly isnt a fish restocking policy, its a Private Pleasure Vessel Levy. Stocking groups get absolutely zip from the PPVL when a low percentage of it is supposed to.

Cheers,

fitzy..

kc
12-01-2005, 04:32 PM
What amazing timing....we all start kicking up a stink & the government "suddenly"announces what it is going to do about boating in Redlands.....................surely?? this is just a co-incidence...hmmmm!

KC
The Fishing Party (Qld)

Derek Bullock
12-01-2005, 04:35 PM
I think we are all trying not to be cynical KC. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Derek

Fisher_Boats
13-01-2005, 04:04 AM
I'm with greg,
does anyone know if we can look at a breakdown of where the money was spent
just curious ???
Col

imported_admin
13-01-2005, 04:53 AM
They don't seem to be able to tell us were it is spent. Many organisations have tried.

Interesting that they use the figure of "$419,000 for dredging Toondah Harbour" and try to spin it that it is for the rec fisher. The bulk use of Toondah Harbour is for passanger and car ferries. Not many boaties use the single lane ramp there as it has limited parking. The times I have been down to the boat ramp car park there it has been full of cars taking up the "Cars with Trailers" parking spaces.

Derek Bullock
13-01-2005, 05:02 AM
Boat ramps at Raby Bay and Weinam Creek are owned and maintained by Redland Shire Council.

Does that look to you guys, as it does me, that the Minister is already distancing himself from the Weinam Creek car park issue.

Derek

cooky
13-01-2005, 05:10 AM
Does that look to you guys, as it does me, that the Minister is already distancing himself from the Weinam Creek car park issue.

i would have to agree Derek. As I said earlier - it stinks of well written PR/SPIN - which is basically saying "we are great, the average jo citizen is going to love this, boaties - time to shut-up, I've got more important things to do"

A bluff.

Big-D
13-01-2005, 05:53 AM
boaties - time to shut-up, I've got more important things to do"

YES,like Stuff the Ipswich Motorway UP.

Wezza
13-01-2005, 06:44 AM
I have to agree with you Steve, the last few time I went to Toondah Harbour the carpark was full of cars with out trailers. I have often thought of blocking them in but dont wish for my car or trailer to be vandelized.

Gazza
13-01-2005, 09:26 AM
Food for "thought"...............
Disabled parking has FINES for those NOT-disabled
(and fair-enough)

Trailer-parking is for car-trailer combos ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Or not ???

gif
13-01-2005, 09:29 AM
It reads to me like a direct response to the email I sent to the Minister for Transport.

Just because they do not “own” the physical asset does not diminish their responsibility for Transport issues across the state and reinforcing their own guidelines.

Just a familiar bureaucratic response - instead of trying to do the best service for the public the Public Servants run straight for cover with a "not my department" statement wherever possible.

Gary

aido
13-01-2005, 10:06 AM
They don't seem to be able to tell us were it is spent. Many organisations have tried.

Interesting that they use the figure of "$419,000 for dredging Toondah Harbour" and try to spin it that it is for the rec fisher. The bulk use of Toondah Harbour is for passanger and car ferries. Not many boaties use the single lane ramp there as it has limited parking. The times I have been down to the boat ramp car park there it has been full of cars taking up the "Cars with Trailers" parking spaces.

agree,
all the same, last time i checked the area i was shocked
at the state of the channel there.
http://users.tpg.com.au/adessaix/toondah.jpg

PinHead
13-01-2005, 12:15 PM
It reads to me like a direct response to the email I sent to the Minister for Transport.

Just because they do not " own" #the #physical asset does not diminish their responsibility for Transport issues across the state and reinforcing their own guidelines.

Just a familiar buraucratic response #- instead of trying to do the best service for the public #the Publis Servants #run straight for cover with a "not my department" statement wherever possible.

Gary

you really have a dislike for public servants gary?