PDA

View Full Version : Planning Starts to Protect Wide Bay Coast

Derek Bullock
13-01-2005, 04:39 AM
PRESS RELEASE

I wonder what this is going to mean for rec fishers.

Cheers

Derek

Environment, Local Government, Planning & Women, Desley Boyle

11/01/05

Locals can help protect their favourite spots along the coast by having their say on the Wide Bay Coastal Management Plan, Environment Minister Desley Boyle says.

Ms Boyle today called for input into the plan, which would guide the implementation of the State Coastal Management Plan in the local government areas of Miriam Vale, Burnett, Bundaberg, Isis, Hervey Bay, Maryborough, Tiaro, Cooloola and Noosa.

"We already have a state-wide policy for coastal protection and management, but we need input from the community to ensure the regional plan addresses the local coastal management needs," Ms Boyle said.

"We want the locals to tell us where they think the special places are along the coast that need extra protection.

"After all, it's the people who live in the area who know best what we need to be taking care of.

"There may be popular fishing spots or culturally-sensitive areas that need special management, erosion-prone areas that need rehabilitation or places where the water quality could be improved."

Member for Hervey Bay Andrew McNamara said: "Initially, the community can be involved by providing a submission on resources or values that should be protected; issues that the plan should address; the location of the coastal management district; or ways that existing management could be improved.

A Wide Bay Regional Consultative Group will also be appointed to guide the plan's development and ensure community views are taken into account.

The community will be able to comment on the draft plan, once it is prepared.

"It's a long process to produce a plan of this magnitude, but Queensland's coastal areas - including the Wide Bay region - continue to grow, so we've got to get it right," Mr McNamara said.

Member for Noosa Cate Molloy said: "It's absolutely essential we identify significant sites and pinpoint future areas of concern so we can ensure the protection of this beautiful part of Queensland".
Written submissions are due by close of business on 1 April 2005 and should be forwarded to the Project Manager (WBCRCMP), Environmental Protection Agency, PO Box 101, Maryborough, 4650 or e-mailed to wbcrcmp@epa.qld.gov.au.

Ends

Media contact: Louise Foley or Carissa Mason 3227 8819

Tezza985
13-01-2005, 08:03 AM
Why not nominate yourself as a member of the consultative committee Derek, and then you can steer them all up the creek!

Tezza. ;D ::)

SeaHunt
13-01-2005, 09:01 AM
We want the locals to tell us where they think the special places are along the coast that need extra protection. #
Like from what??

"After all, it's the people who live in the area who know best what we need to be taking care of. # # # #
If they listened to the majority of people in the region they would piss off and do something else.

I think we all need protection from Idiots like Desley Boyle and Andrew McNamara and those that work for them.
Has anyone actually identified any problems in the area or are a bunch of do gooders just trying to justify their position on the Govt . payroll.
If it aint broke dont fix it,and dont spend my money doing it.

Gazza
13-01-2005, 09:11 AM
We want the locals to tell us where they think the special places are along the coast that need extra protection. #
Like from what??

"After all, it's the people who live in the area who know best what we need to be taking care of. # # # #
If they listened to the majority of people in the region they would piss off and do something else.

I think we all need protection from Idiots like Desley Boyle and Andrew McNamara and those that work for them.
Has anyone actually identified any problems in the area or are a bunch of do gooders just trying to justify their position on the Govt . payroll.
If it aint broke dont fix it,and dont spend my money doing it.
Tell us WHERE you catch Fish ....so we can tell you WHERE you won't be able to CATCH FISH

cooky
13-01-2005, 09:24 AM
well written Seahunt.

I must admit I find it funny everytime one of these half-arsed ideas comes along.

I mentioned it in a post a couple of months ago that what we're facing is an increasing academic skill base within an increasing amount of targetted agencies with an increasing quantity of resources.

this often means a little 'meeting' to discuss projects and someone will pipe up with "blah, blah, crap, crap" and everyone else will go "good idea, let's do it".

This then means an academics favourite thing - RESEARCH, SURVEYS, Demographics, SUBMISSIONS, REPORTS, MORE MEETINGS.

To finally produce a 300 page report at the end which says sweet FA and not even the people who wrote it read it. It sits on a shelf.

I have a govt client (chief researcher guy) that told me in a meeting the other week that he has to produce one of these research books every year or so and it costs the govt $80000 just to print the thing (he admitted the real cost - incl labour, etc woudl be in the hundreds of thousands). he then admitted that he thinks it's a waste of time because no one reads the damn thing (boring as bat sh*t).

ONTO THE NEXT PROJECT THEY GO ::)

Tezza985
13-01-2005, 04:07 PM
Came across this a few weeks ago, but seems to say everything already said.

agnes_jack
14-01-2005, 11:09 AM
So the gbrmpa had a go at protecting this area, then the state government did thier bit, and it still requires more closing of fishing area's???????????

What the hell! these politicians and public servants need to get thier collective s%$t together and learn what eachother are doing!
And we are paying thier wages!!
Bloody bunch of Wa@#$%s
And all to secure green votes, and to give themselves a pat on the back. They all need the rough end of a pineapple in my opinion. OH Well!
Gives the shit stirrers something to keep themselves amused!

# # # # # #Regards, Tony #::) ::) ::) ::)

Gazza
14-01-2005, 11:37 AM
Tony , it's a "cycle"...IF you accept it?

Impose restrictions ,on fishing ,nothing happens/improves...DOH!!

Impose "more" restrictions.......double-DOH!!!
>:(