PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Bait - what's the best way?

megan
14-01-2005, 10:45 AM
I live on the south of Wollongong and regularly catch heaps of slimey mackrel and yellowtail which we fillet, heavily salt down and store in air tight containers. Occasionally the bait gets mouldy and really soft and makes you gag when your baiting up the hook. I don't have a spare freezer to freeze the whole lot - but might have to look into that.

Does anyone have a better way of storing their bait?

Maria
14-01-2005, 10:52 AM
How long you looking at keeping the bait for before using it?

Check the trading post for an old chest/deep freezer would be your best bet.

Ben

megan
14-01-2005, 10:55 AM
Usually keep it for a week or two. Will start looking for a deep freezer 2nd hand.

DICER
14-01-2005, 06:25 PM
you could chuck them in an air tight container filled to the brim with fish oil, thats after salting them. Anearobic conditions in the oil should stop bacteria or mould. But I'm surprised that you have growth. High salt should stop most organisms.

The problem with oil, is it takes a bit to get it out of clothes or off surfaces. But it would add to the burley trail, and perhaps be gag free. :-X

DICER

DICER
14-01-2005, 06:25 PM
you could also reuse the oil.

DICER

Fishinmishin
14-01-2005, 10:02 PM
Dicer, arn't you full yet. Every time I see you your constantly taking bites out of that herring.

megan
15-01-2005, 02:35 AM
At the moment I have a container filled with some sort of fish attracting agent, so I'll see how that goes, it is actually bubbling away - and my god does it stink. I could be using some tonight so I'll see what we catch.

DICER
15-01-2005, 09:07 PM
At the momment I haven't tried the herring or pillies here yet + I'm starving. A couple of weeks and then I go back to Holland and have to fill up again. You should try. The dip them in diced white onion and have sliced gurken with it. Completely yummy.

DICER

jeffo
16-01-2005, 04:06 AM
fishaholic- if you buy a new freezer it might be worth forking out another 300 odd bucks for a "cryvack" machine. vacume pack all your baits you catch. vacumed pack fish will last 2 years done this way (and thats EDIBLE quality :o). catch your slimie mackeral, put them on ice upon capture, vacume pack them. when you defrost them to fish with you will have the freshest dead bait you can get.

Dignity
16-01-2005, 03:55 PM
fish_a_holic, have yet to find anything that works with slimey macks. Goint to try salting them down for about an hour and then storing in a jar with olive oil in the fridge, works with blood worms so u never know.

Sam

megan
18-01-2005, 02:43 AM
Well went out for a fish off Shellharbour on Sunday. Got up at 3:30am and were fishing at 4:30am. The bait was really soft, but it didn't get a gag out of me ;D. Only managed to catch a few under sized snapper, and a good Kingie that ended up biting me off. So I am sure the bait will work in the right conditions - didn't sound like the other boats had much luck either - just a few flathead. I ended up freezing the bait after it was salted down and left in a fish attracting agent for about 2 weeks - yummy!