PDA

View Full Version : Reef Fishing:- NIGHT V's DAY

macdwp01
16-01-2005, 07:43 PM
Hi everyone, hope everyone had a good christmas and new year. I was just wondering how the reef fishes at night as opposed to during daylight hours. Obviously, trout can only be caught in the daytime but other than that is there a noticeable difference between fishing reefs at night and daytime. Cheers.

bignick
17-01-2005, 06:11 PM
Moon by day; fish by day. Moon by night; fish by night.

Cheers,
NICK.

Volvo
17-01-2005, 09:08 PM
Quite a bit of truth there too bignik :)..
macdwp01, think i got the name right??..Mate for me some of the best Fishing is done by night no matter whether its out on the Reef,River, Estuary or a farmers dam lol..
Waste of Time chasing Coral Trout like someone else said :)..But tell ya what!!, if you dont mind bein up whilst others are sleeping some of the best n biggest Fish come out ta frolic i can assure ya..
If you know your area,(the Reef bein Fished) well enough and the habits of the waters etc where you intend to Fish, be surprising the size n quallity of fish to be caught close up to the Reef too...ie; one doesnt need to be in 80 foot of Water to get a good feed ..
Cheers

fisho
18-01-2005, 08:27 AM
A reef we fish has never produced us quality at night with moon or not, yet in the day it's unbelievable (moon or not). Other reefs in our area do play more by the moon theory but this is fishing ..you know the rule! ;)

megafish71
18-01-2005, 04:21 PM
Anytime the weather lets you ;D ;D ;D

devocean
19-01-2005, 07:27 AM
A lot of the guys I know prefer night fishing because you catch more reds at night and you dont catch little piccy fish which are awake during the day. However you wont catch coral trout at night (I have never heard of anyone catching trout at night). Anyway you are out there when the sun comes up so you can always catch the trout then anyway.

Cheers Devocean

Fisher_Boats
19-01-2005, 08:25 AM
If we could all work out these fishing theories maybe there would be no fish left :'(
Early morning,late arvo, mid morning ,mid arvo,mid night sometimes it just doesn't matter you just gotta be out there trying. 8)
Cheers
Col

dfox
19-01-2005, 10:06 AM
Ive found on average that the deeper reefs do produce the better runs of fish at night, but the fish do fire during the day as well. In 70 to 90 meters you do catch the odd trout at night, ive personally caught a few, the odd spaniard grabs a bait on the bottom at night also. Shallower reef usually has a good bight period on dusk and dawn...foxy

megafish71
19-01-2005, 10:14 AM
Shhh Foxy, we don't want to many people fishing out there in 70+ mtrs. Lots of blokes up here wont fish that deep, scared of the run I think, but no run no fun ;D ;D
Your right about the odd trout at night, have caught a few too, mainly on a full moon though, we call them moonlight trout.

Cheers Ron