PDA

View Full Version : how to preserve a fish head

faulky
18-01-2005, 12:55 PM
i have a cod head that i would like to preserve!

does any one have any ideas on how to do it

Render
18-01-2005, 01:17 PM
Bung it in the freezer

R

fishsmith
18-01-2005, 02:06 PM
yep bung it in the freezer...................

fishsmith
18-01-2005, 02:08 PM
a big jar and vinegar maybe!!!!!! ;D

Sandman
18-01-2005, 03:20 PM
Hey faulky not far off with the suggestions of the freezer !! I do taxidermy but never to many fish as usualy it involves casting.What i have done in the past with fish is to cast them , other smaller species i have freeze dried them. I currently have a rather large flatty head in the freezer from a couple of years back ( poor thing died fighting) .
I am trying the freeze dry approach , over a periode of time your freezer burns (dries) the flesh within preserving the fish, unfourtunatly i have left it to late to open the old gob on it . let us know how it goes. Cod tend to have alot of fat on them if it is a large one . If that doesnt work let me know i can help.

fishsmith
18-01-2005, 06:01 PM
TAKE A PHOTO.. ;D :D 8)

DICER
18-01-2005, 06:59 PM
lots of clear epoxy resin,

but becareful, don't end up with yourself ;D

DICER

fishsmith
19-01-2005, 07:33 AM
Dicer,Dicer,Dicer... smoking is a health hazard!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;)

mono
19-01-2005, 10:41 AM
Get yourself a large cardboard box, place a garbage bag in the box to act as a liner. Then buy a couple of large bags of rock salt from pool places. Place a few newspapers in bottom of bag and put 6 inches of salt on top of paper. Place a piece of dowl in the fishes mouth to hold it open and trim off any loose skin and meat at back of head. Them place the head on salt and cover with remaing salt. The box should be almost full with the head in the centre. Then seal plastic bag and then box. I normally then tape all the joins in the box. Sit it in the back corner of the garage and wait!
In a few months check it and if it looks good remove it and place in the sun for a few days then dip it in some resin or spray it with some varnish.
The salt absorbes all the moisture from the head and preserves it. It is a relatively cheap and easy way of doing it.
Hope this helps.
Cheers
Capt Mono

Volvo
19-01-2005, 11:23 AM
:o Cod Head!!!!, Boil im up, seperate the flesh from the rest of the crap, mix in soime vegies n onion, cornflour n make a top soup outa the buggar...
best way to preserve is ta eat im ;)..
Cheers