PDA

View Full Version : Ban on taking Maori Wrasse

wacco_fozzy
01-02-2005, 11:07 AM
Have Maori wrasse (hump-headed maori wrasse)
Cheilinus undulatus always been a regulated non-take species?

If not, does anyone know when the legislation changed to outlaw the taking of these species?

Daintreeboy
01-02-2005, 11:33 AM
used to be able to take em. The new regs that came out last year changed all that. Chinaman fish and Red Bass not takes also among others.
Cheers, Mark.

kc
01-02-2005, 11:34 AM
They were made a no take species in (from memory) July along with Barramundi Cod and Qld Grouper.

Also added (but for health reasons) were Chinamen fish, Red Bass, Paddletail Snapper.

wacco_fozzy
01-02-2005, 11:43 AM
That's OK then. I've come across a photo of a wrasse that I caught many years ago and wanted to show it off. Of course if it was illegal to take one of the not-so-little buggers then I would have denied all knowledge of the incident!

Dignity
01-02-2005, 01:35 PM
13 december 2003 was the date for no takes from memory

devocean
01-02-2005, 03:03 PM
They were added to the banned list because once again the pros were taking to many as they are a delicacy overseas. Having eaten maori wrasse before they are magnificent (greenish tinge when first filleted). However I doubt they are endangered. Last time I saw one I saw about 30 in a huge pack. People reckon they are suseptable to spearos because they are so big but they are touchy underwater. Its a bloody shame they are taken off the list because they are a great eating trophy fish.