PDA

View Full Version : Expert opion Needed

shaggy
01-02-2005, 06:48 PM
Hi guys after many years of of working on computers i have decided to get into fishing as my new hobby.
But i have this mate who reckons he knows everthing about fiishing ::), he reckons that when the fish are biting at the bait you just sit there and let them swallow the bait and that hooks them, i have read that you need to Strike when you feel the extra weight on the line.
Anyone care to give me there view and what they do when the fish are biting.

kc
01-02-2005, 07:38 PM
Shaggy fishing is an amazing "thing" and there is never a right or wrong way. You will come to learn that just being there is the reason we fish. Remember at school some kids by grade 3 could just draw a horse, that actually looked like a horse and most of us could not?? Fishing is same same. Some just "know" and some never will but to most of us it is about the experince of being there not actually catching fish.

You will love it, hate it, be consumed and frustrated by it and when you have "one of those days", which thankfully, most of us have occassionally, you will understand why we fish.

As a newcomer, learn, listen, watch and ask questions. Experiment, try new places and styles...after all...you might just be one of the kids who could "draw a horse" and just don't realise it yet.

Welcome aboard

KC

el_carpo
01-02-2005, 09:48 PM
To set or not to set? That is the question. Whether it is nobler to suffer... oops, sorry got lost in a Shakespeare moment there.

Well, I guess it depends on the fish. I should mention that I live in Chicago and don't catch the same species as you but I figure it's probably about the same. When I go perch fishing (more specifically, yellow perch which are very similar to your redfin) I don't set the hook. I just wait until I feel them take the bait and start swimming and just gently and smoothly raise the rod tip and begin to reel them in keeping constant pressure. I find that when I set the hook on them I lose them nearly every time. They have very thin mouths and setting the hook probably just rips a tear in their mouth and lets the hook pop right out. Now with other species like bass, I will set the hook but not super hard. If I didn't make a set, the hook wouldn't get fixed in the fish's mouth properly and would most likely be thrown during the fight. Finally, when I fish for big species with hard mouths (catfish) or tough mouths (carp) I set the hook with what is probably best described as exuberant vehemence (sometimes, when no one is around, I shout, "Take this!" or "Tally ho!" just for kicks ;D). You have to really drive the point home to puncture the lip sufficiently.

As for when to set the hook. Again, it depends. If I'm using live bait, I usually let them take it a bit longer. Sometimes, you'll feel them mouthing your bait. They want to make sure everything's O.K. This feels like a series of quick taps. The fish is lightly biting and spitting out your bait. Once satisfied with your bait, he'll gulp it down and start to eat. As he does this the tip of your hook will probably stab into the side of its mouth. When the fish notices the weight or "pull" of your line, he'll bolt and run. When I feel the fish starting to run with it, I'll hit him. Remember, when they run, they usually are "slightly hooked" and setting the hook will drive the point home. If you set it before a run, you will probably just yank the bait out of his mouth and he'll swim away both thanking his fish god for saving him from your dinner plate and swearing vengeance upon you and your kin (never a good thing, but then again, I wouldn't worry, what's a fish gonna do?)

Lures are a slightly different story. I find that fish usually hit lures much harder and therefore get "slightly hooked" nearly right away. Very little wait between the time of strike and setting the hook. -- Usually. Other times, it's a little different. With floating lures there is a tendency to set the hook as soon as you see the surface strike. Very understandable when you actually see a surface strike (Amazing stuff! They just explode! I love it!) but this isn't the best thing to do. The fish may need to take a few bites to take the lure enough for you to get a good hook set in them. Same thing goes for plastic worms and rubber jigs. You fish them reeeeaaalll sssssloooooowllyyy on the bottom. The fish usually swim up to them and investigate a little before they strike. They may "nip" at them a little and setting the hook at this time will get you nowhere. Wait for the heavy strike and run.

Also, many fish will attack something (fish, frogs, birds etc.) with a very ferocious initial attack but this is only to wound the animal. After it's hurt, they move in to finish it off and eat it so if you miss it the first time don't give up. This is particularly true of large baits and lures. Fish your lure as if wounded and you'll probably get another hit.

In summation, (in other words what I could have said in one sentence instead of going on and on like a goof-ball ::) ) I would say it is best to wait until you feel the fish swimming with your bait/lure. You can be fairly confident that the fish has at least the tip of the hook set in its mouth. Setting the hook then will probably result in an adequate hook set for you to land him.

No matter what you do, make absolutely sure your hooks are as sharp as you can make them. A simple test is to take your hook and gently put the tip against your thumbnail. If it catches, it's good and sharp. If it slides off, no good. Get out your file and sharpen it up. Trust me on this. Get lazy about hook sharpness, and it will cost you your fish.

I would like to join KC in welcoming you to the sport of fishing. It's a great part of life. Very addictive but in a good way. This site is THE place to be for information too. You'll soon be hauling in the big ones. Good luck. I hope I helped.

E.C.

MAL
01-02-2005, 09:52 PM
Hi KC, that would have to be the best explanation i have heard of that dreaded disease called fishing, well done.
Cheers
Mal.

PS. welcome to the Ausfish shaggy. ;D

Kerry
02-02-2005, 03:46 AM
....Anyone care to give me there view and what they do when the fish are biting.

Catch 'em [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

agnes_jack
02-02-2005, 05:05 AM
There is a few good explanations there fella's! (well put KC and EC )
Shaggy
All fish are different and require a different approach!
The secret is to try and think like they do :-/

Welcome to Ausfish Regards, Tony ;)

shaggy
02-02-2005, 06:59 AM
Ok guys thanks for the replys all your information is much appreciated.And thankyou el_carpo for your thoughts.
I will keep reading and learning and fishing. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]