PDA

View Full Version : TYPICAL AUSSIE BLOKE

baldyhead
05-02-2005, 11:36 AM
There is a big problem with the Aussie bloke, whether he's a fisherman, rifle shooter, pistol shooter, pig hunter, 4x4er, boatie or any other interest that you may want to mention and this is "That if it doesn't immediately effect him in his HIP POCKET right now then HE couldn't give a sh*t!!!!!"
I have been fighting to change some of these BLOKES in my region for many years unfortunately most won't listen. When scumbag howard took away our legally owned firearms these blokes said that it wouldn't happen here and I couldn't get them off their collective arses to go to the meetings and rallies even hiring a mini bus and offering to pick up and return them home to no avail. Guess who THEY came screaming to when it actually happened?
I saw the same apathy in the time before and during the green zones/ RAP. AND again after it was implemented they came screaming!
The majority do fu*k all and leave it up to the minority to put in the hard yards and fight like all blazes to protect what we have now.
The ones that DO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING SCREAM THE LOUDEST.
baldy

macdwp01
05-02-2005, 11:53 AM
Thats how it always has been and will continue to stay. It's Human Nature.

Fisher_Boats
05-02-2005, 12:01 PM
Your dead right Baldy [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
We are getting bent over but not everyone seems to care????
For instance some people Ive spoken to have said..... Ah well put the Yellow,Green Zones in we don't care, we'll still do what we have always done and tell them to go jump.
Good attitude. >:( It's all too hard for a lot of them unfortunately.
Imagine if I taught my lads that .Might as well tell them they can keep undersize crabs and fish.
Your right the minority put in the hard yards and everyone else will only whinge when the horse has bolted.
What's the way to shock everyone into action before it's too late?
My thoughts
Col
Geez it's been one of those weeks :P

dasher
05-02-2005, 07:24 PM
Guys you are so right. >:( ??? Don't these guys know what has been done to rec fishos already. ??? Vic Marine Parks implemented because of angler apathy.Ooops. ::)
NSW netting in Sydney Harbour and Hawksbury River because of angler apathy. Ooops once more.
QLD GBR restrictions enforced because of angler apathy. Ooops again. ::)
Vic Port Phillip Bay to be dredged, poisoning the bay. Maybe they will get off their collective arses and fight this. ??? Will let u know how the demonstration goes on the 13th Feb. past efforts have been p';poor :(
What is wrong with us ??? don't we want to fish anymore ??? Don't we want our kids to be able to fish ???
If we don't get support this time I'm taking up golf and all u lazy pin ends can do what u want. >:(

Derek Bullock
07-02-2005, 04:19 PM
Maybe like me a lot of people see another side to all of this and actually support the closures, restrictions and green zones.

Some of us even believe they dont go far enough.

With the number of people posting here against the closures, restrictions and green zones I am beginning to wonder who the majority are.

Thats democracy I guess.

Derek

Mick
08-02-2005, 03:22 AM
Then there's a third type of person. The lazy guy that doest whinge and also just does't give a flying ..... anymore! Continual disapointment can take the fire out of the belly. BUT, I totaly agree with you baldy.

dazza
08-02-2005, 04:17 AM
hi derek
don't want to get into a muffin fight but,
i don't think any rec fisho is anti closure/protection.
what i personally disagree with is some public servant circling spots on a map for "protection". most of these decisions are not based on research or any form of sensible management.
ask bgrmpa for a copy of the research and references they used when deciding the zones. they still havent provided it to the environmental minister as requested in parlaiment- can track down the hansard if you wish.
i am allowed to apply for a liscence to mine coral in a green zone, but i am not allowed to fish there.
the EPA say one of the main reasons for the sandy straits park is to protect dugong and turtle populations and i totaly agree
can you explain to me why the entire sandy straits is a proposed yellow zone where rec fisho's are heavily restricted, but a commercial fisherman is allowed to run gill nets unrestricted. dunno about you, but i have never caught a dugong on a line.
etc etc etc
i think we all want to see these areas protected for future generations and i think the epa should play a major role in protection, but it must be based on validated research, public consultation and equity across all user groups.
cheers
dazza

Fisher_Boats
08-02-2005, 05:06 AM
Derek,
When have I said we don't want closures ? We are asking for a FAIR go and our concerns to be heard. I believe everything in life works#if it's fair.
Why don't you come along to the next meeting we have and you might get to understand what we are about a bit more.
Where is this all going to end?
With full closures everwhere.
Maybe that is when you will be happy by the sound of it.
We already have restrictions on us. The problem is it affects our families life style of being able to go fishing .(and I hate golf!!)
It is also a business that a lot of people live from.
Do you see it as fair restricting reco anglers to one hook ,one line and still allow commercial fishing in these areas?
Mate the majority of reco's care about the future.
Your comments make me wonder if you actually go fishing at all sometimes.

Col

Derek Bullock
08-02-2005, 05:29 AM
Col

I have been fishing the Sandy Straits, from Urangan to the top end of Tin Can Bay for nearly 40 years. I take a few crab pots and a couple of rods. I fish with one rod at a time. The type of rod depending where I am fishing, be it drop offs and pinnacles for reefies or the flats for whiting or the creeks for bream, jacks or cod. Sometimes I hold the rod in my hand, at other times it is in a rod holder. I have caught just about every type of fish that is present right throughout the area.

The yellow zone restrictions you are talking about won't affect me going fishing there.

Also the proposed green zones will not affect the fishing I do, although I have fished in most of those green zones. The exception to that is the occasional sojourn up into the proposed green zone of Searys Creek. But, I must admit that area is a good breeding mangrove area and needs protecting.

By the way, I'm not a greenie either.

Cheers

Derek

Fisher_Boats
08-02-2005, 05:57 AM
Derek
You didn't answer my invite.
Why don't you come to our next meeting?
Col

Mick
08-02-2005, 06:18 AM
It doesn't take an einstien to work out you both have good points, both love fishing, and both want to still have fish in our oceans for our future fisho's.
Col, derek does have a good point about a yellow zone not affecting him, and Derek, Col has a good point about the pro fisherman being able to destoy where a rec fisherman has to tred lightly and I understand that Col could be upset about not getting the wave of support that is required to push his issues further. There is no real argument here guys (between yourselves anyhow)
Mick

Derek Bullock
08-02-2005, 06:40 AM
Col

I have said it publicly a number if times. I am not a member and do not support The Fishing Party. The same as I am neither a member of the Labour Party, Liberal Party, National Party or any other political party.

I didnt want to argue this point but it has to be said, "the pro fisherman being able to destoy where a rec fisherman has to tred lightly". Is that statement entirely true or just speculation.

Derek

Mick
08-02-2005, 06:50 AM
Derek, destroy might not be the correct word, however, if fish could talk what word do you think they would use to describe a pro fisherman?

Fisher_Boats
08-02-2005, 08:29 AM
Derek,
I'm not asking you to join TFP. Just inviting you to a meeting.You don't mind putting your two bobs worth in on here so why not ?
Obviously the yellow zones won't affect you so that's fine, your entilted to your opinion like everyone.
They are proposing a yellow zone in the straits BUT allowing pro's to work in that zone .That is not fair in my opinion as I stated earlier. Why are we getting shafted here? If I want to have two rods out for a certain species of fish I should be able to. If I catch my bag limit straight up (That's even if I want the bag limit) what's the problem?
This post is about the typical apathy of a lot of people and I still agree with baldyhead 100%.
Col

macdwp01
08-02-2005, 12:18 PM
Hi everyone, i agree with some points Derek has made and some points other people have made. I for one believe that more green zones and tighter restrictions were required for fishing on the GBR and i can't understand how people can honestly say that they weren't needed. Over the years the stocks have taken a pounding and for people to say that the restrictions weren't needed are kidding themselves. However, people who have been severely restricted by these changes (ie Pro Fishermen, Tackle Shop Owners, Etc Etc) deserve and to be heavily compensated through the government and i for one would be quite happy to for a small levy to be introduced for queensland fishermen to help compensate those effected. However, with all large scale operations not all people are going to be happy. The issue with commerical fishermen being able to net in a area where rec fishermen can only fish with one rod does sound to be unfair. However, most fishermen now have to show responsibility when they go fishing and only take what they need and not turn into "meat hunters" why anyone would want to fish with more than two lines at the most is beyond me. Cheers

ba229
08-02-2005, 12:58 PM
Being from another country (Mexico :-) ) I am not up to date with all the restrictions proposed or already in place for you guys in Qld (Canada ;D) but I have seen on TV shows like Landline and I think 4 corners that the cane farms in the Cairns area are having an effect on the reefs through chemicals washing out to sea.

Now as I say, I have no info on the true figures but from an outsider looking in, what I am interested to know is whether at the same time as protecting the fishing stocks and reefs from reco's and at times the pro's, is any action being taken to restrict the damage done by farming techniques?

macdwp01
08-02-2005, 01:02 PM
Ba229, im not sure if there is but i believe there might be some restrictions in place but im not sure if they would make any difference.