PDA

View Full Version : Startin a fishin club.....need some advice

uglystick
10-02-2005, 12:38 PM
G,day anglers,
as part of my grade 12 studies my school, as part of a leadership program, requires me to start a group in which i have to give back to the school some how, at first the idea bored me incredibly and i tuned out, of course when u tune out u dream about fishing and when i awoke i had an idea, to combine my love for fishing and this "group thing" my teachers where going on about. I proposed to them, me and some mates start a fishing and recreational group and invite younger members of the school to participate. They said it was a good idea and they are happy for me to do it. The only problem is i have only just moved to brisbane (from Gladstone QLD....good fishin') and am unsure where to go on my first fishing trip with the group. Most of the kids i will be taking will not have fished much before so i dont really wanna take them chasing marlin for the fact that the kid's would tire out before the marlin ever did. id like to take them somewhere inwhich your chances of catching a fish are good, evan if they are small. any sugesstions would be greatly appreciated. Please take into account this group will operate on a minimal budget and teachers probably wont be to impressed if i take the group up to ARNHEM LAND for period 4 so in other words cost effective and local fishing only. cheers,
Uglystick

P.S probly maximum distance could travel would be the sunny and gold coast. I have a 5m boat that could be used to take small groups of people out whilst the main group fish on the beach etc.

adriancorrea
10-02-2005, 02:27 PM
Good Idea
Maybe take them in and around the pin.
or down to the broadwater.
sure to catch a fish or two and down at the broadwater maybe a jetski or two lol ;)

Tight Lines
Adrian

sharkbait
10-02-2005, 02:43 PM
south stradbroke...ferry em over, swim, fish, sneak over to the pub etc etc

mackmauler
10-02-2005, 03:10 PM
wait till the end of school and give them a load of pranks, save the best till last ;D

uglystick
10-02-2005, 03:14 PM
"sneak over to the pub etc etc"

and if any teachers ask, ........we thought that pub was a bait and tackle! #[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

gif
10-02-2005, 03:48 PM
start with education and training - I have soem packages where they go through 5 stations tie a knot cast tides etc

Then get some speakers in

All this can be doen at school

It then builds you up to THE big trip

Gary

devocean
10-02-2005, 03:58 PM
As a teacher I wish I had more students like you. As for those of you (sharkbait) kids these days need no encouragement. Sounds like a top idea ugly stick good luck with it

mrobbo
10-02-2005, 05:52 PM
Great idea, uglystick. You could get in touch with Sunfish who I am sure will give you every assistance. They have a "schoolfish" program where they visit schools to give kids an idea about fishing and also conduct yearly "Take a Kid Fishing" days, so I am sure what you are planning is worthy of their support. They also would have access to fishing gear for those of your group who did not have any. I suppose though for this to happen, your activities would have to be under some supervision. Anyway, you might like to give them a try. Good Luck, Mike

uglystick
11-02-2005, 10:07 AM
Thanks guys for all your info so far, please keep it coming, any further suggestions would be appreciated also [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

rando
11-02-2005, 10:18 AM
More power to you ugly stick.!!. Sunfish is a great starting point, as is the Guest speakers idea,I suggest you ask some of ausfish's media types if they can lend a young bloke a hand. The alvey company has a small booklet called "How to be a better fisherman".Its a good training tool.You can find it on this site in Hints & Tips I think.
Good luck & good fishing
RANDO

Rowdy_2002
12-02-2005, 05:36 AM
You havent said where in Brisbane you are. There are a few fishing clubs around and maybe it would be worthwhile to get in contact with a local one and see if they can help out with speakers or trip info. you might be able to organise a combined trip/competition.

uglystick
12-02-2005, 12:22 PM
Well the school is the northern suburbs [smiley=thumbsup.gif] maybe 10/15 minutes drive from that public boat ramp near the mouth of the river on the right hand side if facing out to moreton island, its got that boat lock up place and a bit of a bait/tackle/coffee/snack shop. hope u know the one, i forget its name. [smiley=dizzy.gif]....do you know of any fishing clubs in the northside area, eg everton park, chermside etc

banshee
12-02-2005, 01:30 PM
G'day Uglystick,Going fishing is great and is the prime objective of all fishing clubs,but unfortunately it is only half the story.To do this right you first need to hold a meeting amongst your like minded students(founding members)and work out what your aims are,what is acceptable,what is not.What the majority of the people agree on then has to be writen up on paper and this will become your constitution.Some things to consider might be,will your club fish casualy or for points,if for points,you will have to come up with a pointscore,competion rules and penalties for breaking the rules,you might consider wether you want to fish catch and release or fish for a feed.When this is sorted you will have to hold elections and vote in a President,Secretary and a treasurer,two more members added to this would be good for your committee(make sure the number is uneven),you should then set a time and place for periodic meetings,this is where the club will kick around ideas and decide where they want to go or who they would like to have come and give them a talk on various aspects of fishing.Mate,this is all very very boring shit,but is the way clubs basicly work,do it properly and you might get a good mark and have some fun on the way.One final thng to consider is insurance,no doubt your school should have this covered.

Lazybugger
12-02-2005, 04:15 PM
Great idea, when I went to school we had a similar thing for a sport activity. One of the manual art teachers guided us through building our own rod. Took us a few weeks and then at the end of it we went down to the woody point jetty and tried em out.

I still have the rod (over 15 years later) and it would work fine if I got around to replacing the runners.

If you are on the Northside and can make it to Redcliffe then it does have a few of the easier shore based angling spots. The hornibrook bridge, woody point jetty or the rock wall at scarborough boat harbour were my favourite haunts growing up. Of course if you can get there early enough in the morning before the oldies start swimming Margate beach can be great for summer whiting. You might find Redcliffe is a bit easier to get a group of kids to then the sunshine or gold coasts.

Cheers ;)