PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with this motor? ......update!

MulletMan
15-02-2005, 06:29 AM
Firstly thanks to the dozens of guys who helped out with advice on this problem! #:D The free trip for two to Honolulu goes to the guys who put their money on a cracked head or manifold! #;) ;) ;) The "clean" spark plugs was a good pointer and after disassembling all the exhaust risers and manifolds, there was definately a bit of cancer between the water jacket and the manifold fitting. I had them all resurfaced and they had to take 2mm of each one to get down to some decent metal. Spent a couple of days pushing, prodding, drilling, shaking and banging to get all the passageways nice and clean (man that caustic soda is great stuff!) but reckon I might get a couple of more years out of the risers before the big replacement day. Also found the coil was the wrong one in spite of the "experts" having fitted two new ones beforehand and though that would not have caused the problem, at least I have a decent spark now!. I guess I should have pulled the head at the same time but felt so excited about finding a definite problem, wanted to get her back in the water asap. Very offputting that the techies in the trade never tumbled to the problem. As yet I haven't been able to take her for a gallop due these stinking winds but once the magical "30 minute to failure" mark has been passed, I will be feeling pretty confident. Bad thing when you lose this confidence in the boat as it makes you kinda leery about going outside or on long trips lest it throws its guts in! #:( Anyhow, nice clean and greasy motor again, starts like a charm and hoping this got it! Again, thanks for help........hope I won't be back with the same topic again! #:-/ :'(

gunna
15-02-2005, 07:45 AM
Great to see the problem fixed Commodore. Musta been so frustrating.

jimbamb
15-02-2005, 11:23 AM
Good luck mate,hope she purs like a kitten.

Big_Kev
15-02-2005, 02:01 PM
We will all be waiting in anticipation commodore.
Be sure to keep us informed.

Hagar
15-02-2005, 04:04 PM
Commodore
A common problem with sterndrives . When the risers need replacement ( they also corrode thru the water jacket in the risers as my bro in law found out ) consider the stainless steel risers made by aftermarket suppliers . He has them now and is a convert . They have a stand at most of the boat shows .

Chris

MulletMan
15-02-2005, 05:32 PM
Aaaaagggggggggghhhhhhhhhh! I never thought about internal corrosion in the riser sections themselves! Geez, there goes my worry free boating days! Think I might just have to invest in an new pair at some $1600!!