PDA

View Full Version : EPA meeting.

tshort
11-02-2005, 03:07 AM
Attended the EPA meeting for the GSMP-NS in Gympie last night. It was very well attended number wise and well run by the EPA staff who actually have worked on the project since its inception. The only thing I got out of the meeting was the need for submissions to go into the EPA prior to the 28/02 and for those submissions to be of substance not just "I DONT LIKE IT" or "WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU WENT FISHING IN TIN CAN BAY". It would appear and rightly so that submissions with sound argument are going to be considered, petitions or letters of emotion will not. The unfortunate thing is I get the feeling that very few who attended will actually put pen to paper and feel they have done there bit by having there say at the meeting. Remember these meetings are information sessions not forums for debate. Here are 2 questions you can ask them; 1- what class of fishery is represented by the waved lines in the bar charts (which they are using to quote fisheries figures) which they couldnt answer last night; 2- If this proposal is to be consistant with other marine parks as quoted by EPA at the meeting how many other yellow zoned areas in the state have been declared non-conforming use for commercial fishers. answer 0. By all means attend the meetings but put your submissions in and remember don't shoot the messenger.

Zeeke
11-02-2005, 06:14 AM
i was there aswell Elprez.. sitting up the front... interesting night.. but your correct.. put pen to paper.. fight it or change it.. only way it can be done is with submissions

Tim

kc
11-02-2005, 09:55 AM
Well done for putting in the effort guys.

Just as a heads up, You are right about quality of submission. This is the reason The Fishing Party is holding a public meeting next Wednesday.

The main point of this is to get as much input and ultimately a general agreement on the direction of a major submission.

We have a member who is a highly skilled marketing professional who will put the document together will all the maps, support evidence, alternatives and glossy pictures, bind it and ultimately make sure it hits the right desks.

These are the type of submissions which get noticed.

All that is then needed is letter which simpley support the TFPQ submission.

One advantage in having stood an election is that we can now quantify our level of support and can speak directly on behalf of the 30,000 people who voted for us....they voted for TFPQ to represent them for the next 3 years...any additional support, by way of letters from GSS locals only adds even more weight.

Unfortunately, our experiences with the GBRMPA has left many a bit jaded.
I am encouraged to date by the EPA attitude...we hope for a better outcome.

What is counterproductive is 500 submissions each asking for a different outcome, different locations for green/yellow zones, different rules, different restrictions. It just all gets too hard.

We believe the ONLY way that this can be "won" is that the majority of the population lodge one single high quality submission.

If you want to be part of that process. Be at the sportsmans club at 6.30 Wednesday night. A poor roll-up will result in a poor submission & a poor submission will result in a very poor outcome for everyone who loves to fish the GSS region.

Regards

Kevin Collins
Chairman
The Fishing Party (Qld)

fisher
11-02-2005, 06:34 PM
Great stuff Kevin,and to the guys that have already attended mettings. I've been to the Fraser Coast Tourism Board meeting with the EPA and will be attending the public meeting on Saturday the 12th and then the Wednesday the 16th meeting with TFPQ,Please all that can attend be there to show support of the TFPQ.Regards Paul

Zeeke
11-02-2005, 06:38 PM
If i could get up your way Paul, i would come to those meetings to show more support... the ideas are ok in some ways.. but bloody shocking and downright stupid in other ways.. but as el prez.. only way things can be changed is putting pen to paper and sitting down and writing a letter to the EPA stating your concerns and problems.. its no good swearing and saying "this idea is shit", the EPA needs to know what areas need to be looked at so they can work at making it better for all...

Tim

kc
12-02-2005, 04:17 AM
You will get your chance zeeke....the closures are "coming to a store near you".

Regards

KC

Fisher_Boats
12-02-2005, 04:31 AM
Zeeke,
If you want to be part of the meeting there are a couple blokes from nth brissy going up. I can find out if there is room if you wish.
They are travelling up and back the same night.
Let me know.
Cheers Col

dasher
13-02-2005, 09:18 PM
Well I attended the EPA "information" meeting today!!! What a crock, the guy that handled the q/a session is either a polly or training polly. Not one question answered!!!!! Not our area, not under our jurisdiction, yes thats a good idea put it in your submission etc etc. One thing thing that did come out of the meeting was a guy that was on the original working party for the EPA that declared he would have nothing to do with the current draft as is was not the draft that they submitted to gov. ??? ??? ??? The guy running the meeting would not comment. :-X :-X :-X ??? ::) This is not the EPA shafting us it is the gov and it is not conservation they are worried about, it is "COMPENSATION" Get into your fishing club or one of the FP meetings and stop this crap b4 it's too late. For that can front up to the Sportsmens club in Hervey Bay (near the pier) on Wednesday 16th Feb at 6.30pm to make a stand. It's time we all got off our arse and defended our (and our kids) right to fish >:( I am willing to help any out of towners with a bed o/night if needed. JUST GET HERE!!! [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Zeeke
14-02-2005, 05:04 AM
if his name was Wade Lewis... he was the same fella who did the gympie meeting.. and one thing we noticed was.. the 4 girls there to back him up were scared shitless to answer questions.. you could tell they didnt want to..

Tim

fisher
14-02-2005, 12:47 PM
Dasher,that meeting was the same as the tourism members meeting no anawers to questions ::) there just puppets to the gutless polies like macnamara that can't or won't do it himself >:(.The thing that really gets me with macnamara is he said in the papper he was prepared to take the flack for this but since it's release he's been in hiding[spinless grub] and the same with boyle who is the minister for environment.I tried to go to the one at the family centre but they were hanging out the front door so I went to the one at Kondari resort.There were plenty of people at both meetings I just hope the message has got through that they need to send in submissions.Do you know if anyone has organised 7 local news to cover the story it needs to go on air to get to the majority of the public.Regards Paul

tshort
15-02-2005, 06:31 AM
Haven't heard back from any polly or department yet on my submission. I wonder if they will reply or better yet comment on any of the changes I have proposed. That would be the only way I could accept that my submission had been received and read.

dasher
15-02-2005, 07:02 AM
Paul 7 local was there so hopefully should be on the news tonite. But sadly thru my own lack of forethought we missed a brilliant chance to publicise the Wed meeting using the EPAs microphone. I am so pee'd off with myself >:( >:( One interesting question mentioned at the meeting was McNamarra was alledged to have said there were up to 26 turtle strikes a week. I can't confirm McNamarra said that, but if he did I would want him to divulge his source of information. ??? ???

dasher
15-02-2005, 07:31 AM
Haven't heard back from any polly or department yet on my submission. I wonder if they will reply or better yet comment on any of the changes I have proposed. That would be the only way I could accept that my submission had been received and read.

Geez prez we don't want to lose any aushfishers so don't don't try holding your breath mate. ::) I doubt they plan to acknowledge all submissions and I'm led to believe some may be filed according to the content. Make your own judgement on that one. :-X ::)

gif
15-02-2005, 07:46 AM
At best all you will ever get is a form letter acknowledgement - perhaps weeks after it is all closed.

drb
15-02-2005, 08:49 AM
I got an email acknowledgement this morning. It's contents were

Thank you for your submission on the Great Sandy Marine Park – Northern Section.

All submissions will be considered after the closing date of 28 February 2005.

Cheers

Jayme Teasdale
Planner
Environmental Planning Strategies
Planning Division
Environmental Protection Agency

Ph: (07) 3227 6267
Fax: (07) 3227 7237
E-mail: jayme.teasdale@epa.qld.gov.au

Visit us online at www.epa.qld.gov.au

tshort
15-02-2005, 11:06 AM
Dasher, do you think they would read and file it if approving of the proposed one line one hook rule and made mention of bag limits on all species, greater management of development applications and waste water plans for the acid catchment areas of the straits or the banning of domestic animals from foreshores for greater protection of the migratory birds. Maybe they would listen to the proposal of recreational licences to compensate the commercials?

fisher
15-02-2005, 06:07 PM
G/day Dasher,I emailed the number for 7 local news to Kevin last night and he is on it.I also spoke to Ernie Pauser today in regards to why there has been no comment from Macnamara in the papper considering he said he would take all the flack from this proposal.I think he said something on the lines he is in hiding.I asked him to invite Macnamara to the meeting to front the public via the news papper so it will be interesting to see what comes of that.See you on Wednesday night.Regards Paul

dasher
15-02-2005, 09:19 PM
Dasher, do you think they would read and file it if approving of the proposed one line one hook rule and made mention of bag limits on all species, greater management of development applications and waste water plans for the acid catchment areas of the straits or the banning of domestic animals from foreshores for greater protection of the migratory birds. Maybe they would listen to the proposal of recreational licences to compensate the commercials?

Mate the copy to the EPA would get due consideration, any to the pollies, ??? your guess is as good as mine. ::) I reckon their mind is made up already. >:(

Paul i rang 7 news and got told they would mention the meeting, but yet again the 7.30 start come up. >:( I'm sure someone is trying to stuff this up for us because I have let everyone know it is 6.30. I rang up the chronicle today to ask them to put another article in after them quoting 7.30.

dasher
15-02-2005, 09:27 PM
In hindsight Prez, I don't mean u have wasted your time mate cos they will percieve a well thought out submission as a vote in the next election. But I am unconvinced that without a major thrust the gov is going to tell us all to get ... used to what they want. >:(

tshort
16-02-2005, 03:23 AM
Yeah Dasher, thats what I think too and also if by a miracle any changes are considered for the proposal a compromise will be made, there is always a trade off and any one or a combination of these listed could be brought into play. I remember writing about another project by the EPA asking for submissions and completion of survey forms on the draft Enviromental Values and Quality Objectives in three areas one of which was Mary River Basin and Great Sandy Region Waters, due in mid December. I hope people did take time to read the material and reply as this project covers a very large area and numerous waterways that are also used for recreational activities including fishing. Outcomes from this survey have the ability to impact on recreational use of the waterways in the same way as GSMP. Maybe recreational fishers are just too hard to motivate unless something directly effects them, by that time its too late.