PDA

View Full Version : Goin' North

sir_noelus
09-02-2005, 02:21 AM
Morning All, Have been away for three mopnths doing a practice run. Next Sunday we leave, travelling basically up the coast, eventually to Townsville to Normanton, (possibly there mid March) then to Darwin etc. You know the score. Taking a Cherokee with a boat on top and caravan, planning absence of about 12-18 months. If you see such a rig or a white 12 footer on the water somewher and know you can help someone new to the area, please give us a yell. Down here we use 96 on 27meg and have radio in tinnie. Will change channel if you recommend it. Have gold Ozfish stickers on boat too. Like to hear from anyone who can help. Noel.

nonibbles
09-02-2005, 04:51 AM
Mid March eh? I'll be in Tassie, love to have helped you out/meet up in TSV. Sorry ;)

devocean
09-02-2005, 07:58 AM
Might be a bit wet still in march to go any further than normanton

whiteman
09-02-2005, 10:00 AM
Sir

In NQ March-Sept there is a constant stream of 4x4s with car toppers towing vans north on the Bruce Highway. If you drop into Balgal Beach when we have a monthly BBQ http://www.bbbalc.com/index.cfm?PageID=130&Menu=BBQ ask for me and I'll "tell you where to go!".

Use Ch 88 up this way.

devocean
09-02-2005, 10:45 AM
Whiteman you wouldnt be talking about the place just south of rollingstone river bridge would ya

Mick
10-02-2005, 03:18 AM
More than 5 cars behind you pull over! I am in a hurry to get no where in particular.

kc
10-02-2005, 12:02 PM
Mid March to early April is absolute peak barra time around Airlie, give me a call if your coming through with a few days to spare. Try and pick just after new moon neaps.
0414 785 462

KC

whiteman
11-02-2005, 09:37 AM
Devocean - where else?

devocean
12-02-2005, 04:39 AM
Whteman not a bad spot that. Checked out that new caravan park with those lakes full of barra. Pretty flash joint but other people have told me that on the other side of the river os free camping and units as well.

I have some pretty decent coordinated for outside that place. One big one slap bang in the middle of the bay. Awesome gold spot and nannys. Might have to come up and check the place out. Whats the creek like?

whiteman
12-02-2005, 08:06 AM
Devocean the creek is a little suss following the recent flood. The old way of getting out is covered with snags but a new, direct channel close to the beach is open. Dick at the landing will direct you. This new channel is a little deeper than the old one so you can get in and out from around a 1.4m tide. However, it's narrow with snags and a rock bar if you venture too far north. Ignore the main channel marker as this is set to the old channel. You actually go close to the stinger net these days. This new channel will shut down once the SEers kick in and drive the silt back on to the beach. Go out in clear daylight and be careful.

You can send me the marks. I won't tell anyone. Promise.

sir_noelus
12-02-2005, 08:50 AM
Thanks guys; signing off for about a year (or two). Been good to follow activities on ausfish. See/hear you or whatever when we get back. Noel

fishextremes
14-02-2005, 03:32 PM
There a couple of good marks up there, we used to fish a wreck about 5nm out from balgal.Used to get some of the biggest emporer i have caught , not many fish it or know its there.There is also a good fingermark spot out from there,they school on a bait school or shoal not sure which one.These spots were given to me by a old pro fisho he swore by them.He also told me of a old grader out near palm somewhere.But it was always good for a fish or 2
regards mac

devocean
14-02-2005, 03:47 PM
No exactly where you are talking about macman

nonibbles
14-02-2005, 06:57 PM
I can't find them on my gps is something wrong?

fishextremes
15-02-2005, 03:21 PM
You dont have the marks would probaly be one reason ;D
regards mac

nonibbles
16-02-2005, 06:29 PM
The other would be nobody's given 'em to me. Can you help me out?

NQCairns
17-02-2005, 04:18 AM
CC me!, CC me! ;D