PDA

View Full Version : The Fishing Party (Qld) Great Sandy Straights

kc
01-02-2005, 05:24 AM
For interested members and others the following letter has been forwarded to Nick Heath, senior advisor to Minister Boyle and follows a lengthy conversation with Mr Heath last week.

30th January 2005

Dear Nick,

Thankyou for your time recently discussing the issues important to our members and supporters regarding the rezoning of the Great Sandy Straights.
It is encouraging to see the state Governments commitment to protecting this important area for both current and future generations but several aspects of the draft plan require clarification. I am also pleased that the EPA acknowledges the public consultation phases of RAP were not as well accepted as they should have been and that the state EPA wishes to have a more open dialog with the public.

1. What is the actual intent of the restrictions being placed on recreational fishers reducing their effort to one line one hook in yellow zone? It is at odds with the method of fishing undertaken by the vast majority of users and, we believe, as has been the case in NQ, it will turn people away from the sport in large numbers or result in regular visitors to the area going elsewhere, with similar impacts on local businesses.
As discussed you will be aware that the structural adjustment package, offered by the Federal Government in regards RAP has, to date, paid some $32M to commercial fishers in NQ. Respected Auditors KPMG have been working with the recreational industry and will soon lodge the first in a series of claims on behalf of the recreational fishing industry which will significantly dwarf the amount paid to date.
It has been noted that, quite rightly, the State Government did not offer any compensation in regards its complimentary zoning legislation as these closures mirrored, and were caused by, a Federal issue. This is not the case with the Great Sandy Straights however and the EPA and Government needs to be put on notice that the impacts of aggressive closures and yellow zoning are real, measurable and do have a dramatic effect on the businesses which are supported by recreational fishers. Clearly compensation is a last resort, not a first one and it is the hope of TFPQ that we can work with the EPA towards a more sensible and mutually beneficial outcome.

2. It is noted with some surprise that restrictions are being imposed on recreational fishers in the proposed yellow zone but net fishing is to continue. This would appear to be at odds with the reasoning behind the yellow zone which articulates issues such as turtle and dugong protection. What is the point of placing restrictions on recreational fishing, a large economic driver for this community, while allowing commercial net fishing to continue?

3. I am pleased that your response to the question of moving the proposed green zones to areas less used by recreational and particularly the recreational charter fishing fleet was so positive. We are working with charter operators to come up with a plan which both achieves the 4% green zone protection levels and still allows these operators to continue in business.

As discussed the current draft locations effectively destroy the entire fishing grounds of some of these operators.

In closing Nick, I would request the following on behalf of our members and supporters.

1. An extension of the public consultation phase for an additional 30 days so TFPQ can lodge a fully researched submission on the Great Sandy Straights.
2. Provision of any information and research which shows a benefit of the one line one hook policy in the yellow zones as opposed to other fisheries management methods such as bag limits and seasonal breeding closures.
3. Any data showing fish stocks, commercial UPE for this region, or other studies undertaken on the health of the Great Sandy Straights fishery.
4. Any data relevant to turtle and dugong populations in the Great Sandy Straights, particularly any death or injury data including methods of death or injury.
5. Any data relating to seagrass beds in the Great Sandy Straights.
6. Any socio-economic studies carried out by Government as to the expected impacts on the businesses and community who participate in the sport of recreational fishing.

TFPQ, as you are aware, has a growing membership base and achieved a very significant result in the last Federal election. It was born entirely as a result of RAP and a general feeling within many of the 800,000 strong recreational fishing community in Qld that Governments at all levels were ignoring our input.

We have been encouraged to date following discussions with several ministers and MP’s that this is not the case in Qld and look forward to working with you towards a mutually beneficial outcome.

Regards

Kevin Collins
Chairman

NQCairns
01-02-2005, 06:20 AM
Nice ;D

dasher
01-02-2005, 06:07 PM
Good work Kev now u only need the support of the fishos. ::) Hopefully they are starting to wake up to the dangers around them. ::)

agnes_jack
02-02-2005, 06:55 AM
Well put Kev
Please let us know how they respond to your questions.

Regards, Tony :D

kc
02-02-2005, 10:56 AM
I will post any feedback and must add, with all sincerity, I am encouraged to date by the responses we have had from Minister Boyles office.

KC

Derek Bullock
02-02-2005, 02:23 PM
Kevin

A well presented professional submission. Good work.

Derek

Daintreeboy
02-02-2005, 04:56 PM
Well done Kevin, that submission is brilliant. As you pointed out earlier, love the the bit about yellow zones.
Cheers, Mark.

fisher
02-02-2005, 06:05 PM
Great work Kevin,and it's good to hear there listining to you.Will be interesting to read their reply. Regards Paul

kc
02-02-2005, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the support guys but really what we need now is a concerted effort to get the letter followed up, not pats on the back...the job is a long way from being done..

Letters to nick .......nick.heath@ministerial.qld.gov.au...basical ly complimenting the EPA on its willingness to enter dialog with the recreational fishing community and looking forward to channeling information and input via TFPQ all help the cause.

I had a long and fruitful discussion with Nick and also one of the Fishersies Ministers advisors (don't have his name at my finfertips)...they are listening & there is hope, they just need to be convinced that TFPQ has some level of support within the rec fishing community...yes we got a few ticks in boxes on election day but lets see a few prepared to follow up with letters. The one glaring fact is that "they" just don't quiet understand what makes "us" tick. Why do we go fishing? Why will not being able to fish the way we like eg a couple of rods out targeting a couple of different species effect our enjoyment? I put it to Nick that if you tell a golfer he can still play the course, but with only half his clubs, he would either choose another course or just not bother playing....maybe Nick is a golfer because it finally sunk in. We don't actually go fishing just to kill fish....we actually ENJOY the participation!!

KC

Daintreeboy
03-02-2005, 07:14 AM
Just sent mine then Kev.
Cheers, Mark.

Fisher_Boats
03-02-2005, 07:25 AM
Hi KC,
I've sent a letter to everyone I can think of. Attached one from my 9 year old son with his thoughts.
Come on everyone as KC SAID THE MORE THE BETTER!!
bombard them.... there's too much at stake.

Cheers
Col

Fisheasy
03-02-2005, 09:03 AM
Hi Col,
I'm going to round up my 6yo niece to write a letter to the premier. She loves her fishing as does a lot of kids and can "talk the talk".
Pulling heart-strings is all fair in love and war I'm sure ;)

Jay_S
03-02-2005, 12:12 PM
Hi Leeann,
Here's a copy of my young blokes letter. He wrote it by himself when he heard what's happening. At least he takes the time to do it.
We've got a long way to go here,so everything helps. Kind of sad in a way :'(

Hello my name is Jaret S.........
I’m aged 9 yrs
I’m in grade 5 and go to Banksia Beach State school

To anyone how wants to listen to me

I don’t know why you are shutting down some of the fishing grounds because if you keep on doing that before you know it all the fishing grounds will be shut and there will be no-where to fish. I would prefer to go fishing than any think else in the world and I bet lots of other kids would too, so stop getting rid of all the fishing grounds
PLEASE!!!!!!!!

Jaret S...........

dasher
04-02-2005, 07:54 PM
Why can't the adults have to same idea as the kids. ??? ??? ??? ::)

dasher
04-02-2005, 09:02 PM
Please note, there is a petition at the moment asking the banning of the trawling and netting in the Sandy Straits, if anyone wants a copy either message me or check out the sunfish site.

And my apologies the above post should read
"Why can't the adults have the same idea as the kids"

Fisher_Boats
05-02-2005, 04:18 AM
Hey Dasher,
Would be good if everyone could write letters.
Has a bit more clout then a petition.(I think) Please don't get me wrong I'm not knocking petitions,
just tying to do whatever we can to make some sort of change with these buggers that are stuffing up our lifestyles and livley hoods.
Cheers Col

dasher
05-02-2005, 07:29 PM
Ya spot on Col, the petition is only about the netting in the bay, so for those that think they've done duty signing the petition WRONG We still need letters to the pollies and submissions to the EPA. This may be our last chance. Think about it and then send off your emails PLEASE. ::)

dasher
09-02-2005, 02:05 PM
Just getting this back in ya face, cos time is running out. Our fututre depends on you. Don't sit back and let everyone else do it, cos it's not enuf. Make an effort and you will make a difference. Prolly last chance. ::)

dasher
13-02-2005, 09:47 PM
OK to those that are getting sick of me, just consider, if we (and our kids) lose our right to fish (because of fisho's apathy), I'm gunna be rubbin it ya face forever. I know there's a lot of guys working their ring off to do something to get some common sense in this area, but unfortunately it probably equates to 5% of the people that fish this area. For those that start complaining about the new zones (if they go through), they better have a good record of fighting against it, not whinging but action!!!!! Don't talk about I'll get around to it, DO IT NOW Write a submission and post it off the all the pollies and EPA or get to a FP meeting and help with input, fire up your local fishing club, talk to to your tackle shop. Some northern tackle shops have had to close their doors, please think about it because there is only about 2 weeks left.

dasher
16-02-2005, 03:38 PM
Well guys tomorrow nite 6.30 at the sporties is your last chance. After that if u haven't put up, shut up. Your fishing and your choice. ???

Jay_S
17-02-2005, 03:09 AM
Dasher
I sent out letters to 9 of them.
Got one reply so far >:(
Not holding my breath for the rest..... but will keep following them up till they
get sick of me [smiley=earmuffs.gif]
What happened with the petition?
Cheers Col

dasher
17-02-2005, 06:54 AM
Ooops sorry Col, ::) Check ya emails mate.