PDA

View Full Version : help to get a 3yold his first fish

Screaming_Eagle
16-02-2005, 05:54 AM
i've undertaken to take my girlfriend's 3 y old for his first fishing trip this sunday. #he's a good kid that hasn't experienced the outdoors yet.
my experience is that kids are just as interested in getting bait as they are in the fishing, so I thought I'd make it a bait trip. #trouble is, i've not done a lot of coastal bait fishing, so was hoping to get a hand. #
i think I'll take him land based on the gold coast somewhere and try to get a few whiting, as they are pretty simple to catch and don't have spikes.
I've pumped yabbies from currumbin creek before (though they are getting scarce I imagine). #i'm told and read that blood worms are a better whiting bait.
any advice on how and where I can get some blood worms, or in lieu of them, some yabbies? #any advice on a comfortable land based spot at the gold coast that i can take a 3 y old to catch whiting?
Thanks in advance

SE

DR
16-02-2005, 06:50 AM
Eagle, i would go to a tackle shop & buy some worms &/or yabbies. either that or pump some from currumbin creek at the spot you know. then just about any creek or river bridge anywhere along the coast will have some fish willing to give the little fella a good day.
regardless of whether it is gathering bait, fishing or whatever a 3 yo has the attention span of about 3 mins. pick a place with a park or a safe place for him to swim & you can keep him busy & he will have a great day, so will you.
cheers

devocean
16-02-2005, 08:38 AM
Throw in a crab pot or a herring jig as it keeps the attention going. Also three year olds dont care how big the fish are as long as they can squeeze em

caloundra
16-02-2005, 12:27 PM
SE
three year olds don't sit still for very long and if he is anything like my kids he will be more interested in the catching of the bait, pumping for worms/ yabbies ,throwing the cast net around and just splashing in the water.
if you catch a fish it'll just be the icing on the cake.
can't help you with any areas

Daniel

Nugget
16-02-2005, 12:34 PM
I was shooting a segment for Ten a few weeks ago at Budds Beach on the Nerang River at Surfers on the Gold Coast.
There was a bloke fishing off the beach - said he'd been there for a few hours and hadn't had a bite and proceeded to mown about the state of our fishery.
I had a quick look and noticed he was using raw meat, frozen prawns and pieces of pilchard for bait.
I had brought some bloodworms along to the shoot to show viewers so when we finished shooting, I walked over and gave him the worms.
I showed him how to rig with a smaller hook (#4 or #6) and a number 2 ball sinker.
I watched him cast out and started to walk away - before I got 50 metres he yelled out to me - he was holding up a whiting that looked about 27cm.
Over the next 30 min he landed 22 fish on the bloodworms - 6 of which were legal - the rest undersize bream and whiting.

He couldn't thank me enough but the bottom line is - all I did was change his bait and rig - changing your luck is that simple.
You're on the right track with the worms - and Budds Beach is a good place for kids because there is a playground, sheltered little beach and lots of tiddlers to catch.

As per your PM - Bloodworms are difficult to dig on the Coast - for the small amount you will need I'd buy them.
If you're keen on digging your own - look at Saltwater Creek - access of Foxwell Rd behind Dreamworld.

Hope that helps.

Dave ><>

Screaming_Eagle
16-02-2005, 12:46 PM
Thanks guys :)

Can bloodworms be purchased at most gold coast servos?

CHRIS_aka_GWH
16-02-2005, 01:50 PM
tackleshops the best bet for worms

dunno if you've got kids ya self eagle but no matter what the little tyke does fishing wise #don't so "NO" or "that's wrong" etc keep everything really positive & they'll love it. That child will come & go from the rod, maybe even not want to touch it to start with - just say that's ok & fish casually yourself - curiousity will get the better of them.

Go out regarding it as a bonding session not a fishing trip/lesson & you'll feel a million bucks at the end of the day.

chris

Screaming_Eagle
16-02-2005, 01:57 PM
great advice chris - thanks.

no kids of my own yet - just the one i'm becoming mates with because i love his mum.

I've introduced a few nephews and neices to fishing over the years and it was great fun. as you say, no need to tell them what to do as they tend to take your lead.

Screaming_Eagle
16-02-2005, 02:11 PM
by the by - is there a tackle store somewhere near Budd's Beach that will be open early on weekends?

Dug
16-02-2005, 03:33 PM
I like using little jig rigs, but watch out for the hooks.

Any jetty, dump a bit of cat food into the water and watch the rod, you have to move the tip up and down so the kids are busy. Little fish just jump onto them. No barbs so you take the fish off and the kids can put them back into the water.

Heath
17-02-2005, 12:36 PM
The Boatshed on Throwers Drv Currumbin sells live worms. An afternoon on the slack of the tide on the bridge side of the boat ramp with a bit of berly will see you slay the tiddler bream.

Anyone can be a father, takes someone special to be a Dad ;) [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

eggbeater
17-02-2005, 06:19 PM
Aint that the truth. Very well put Heath

DICER
18-02-2005, 04:28 AM
good luck and have fun, Eagle..enough said!!!