PDA

View Full Version : Where was this pic taken?

MulletMan
15-02-2005, 06:13 PM
Anybody like to hazard a guess where there is?
Used to be a great spot before the spearies wiped it out many years ago but slowly recovering I believe!

jugs
15-02-2005, 06:34 PM
Can you narrow it down to a 10km area? Maybe even to a particular state???

DICER
16-02-2005, 03:03 AM
a flat rock?
DICER

Mick
16-02-2005, 05:07 AM
Looks familiar....., mmmm, Ballina? (By the way, I think you ment to say, "some spearies" instead of "the spearies")

If not Ballina, maybe Evans Head, or something around this NSW area. Is the area open to swell?

CHRIS_aka_GWH
16-02-2005, 01:54 PM
... Used to be a great spot before the spearies wiped it out many years ago ...

so you never caught a thing there Commodore ?

chris
stir, stir, stir

Dug
16-02-2005, 03:36 PM
A better photo would help!

PS Juggs those fish are getting smaller!! :o

Dug
17-02-2005, 03:51 PM
OK Commodore, let us know, WHERE IS IT?

MulletMan
17-02-2005, 07:24 PM
Cook Island. That is Dons Rock on the right.
Lousy pic but I tried to size it down to fit on here and lost the rest of the island somewhere!

Mick
18-02-2005, 05:24 AM
I was close...., sort of.

devocean
18-02-2005, 08:34 AM
Nothing wrong with spearos its not that easy you know and if your willing to get wet than you deserve the fish

drb
18-02-2005, 03:33 PM
I agree with devocean.
While I have not speared for many years I used to do it often.
Spearfishing is the most enviromentally friendly method of taking fish (besides catch and release of course). Unfortunately it was given a bad name by a few bad eggs and more so by line fisherman who were insanely jealous of the quality fish us spearos caught.

With spearfishing you get (normally)
No undersized fish accidently caught.
No protected species accidently caught.
No monofilament "litter"

Having said that old footage of spearos killing thousands of fish and sharks with powerheads was a damn shame.

Mick
19-02-2005, 02:40 AM
No bait
No cast nets
Fish and man on equal playing fields - actualy, fish have the upper hand by far
Less damage to bottom structure, and
Living with the tarnished reputation we have inherrited from the kill everything 50's and 60's generation, and unfortunately some still do it today. The same applies for line fisherman, but spearos can't seem to rid the label like line fisherman have achieved.

Sportfish_5
19-02-2005, 07:56 AM
Fish and man on equal playing field - lol

Maybe if you dont use a speargun and catch them with your teeth ::)

Agree with the rest though ;D

Mick
19-02-2005, 09:16 AM
Sportfish, I know what you mean, but since the dawn of time man has had to use 'something' to aid him in catching a feed. I think the playing feild is a hell of alot more equal when a human is in the water instead of sneakiliy disguising a hook into a piece of bait. At least a fish has a chance to flee if approached by another living creature (in this case a human) if it wants too. A hook in a piece of bait is not equal as the fish is 'tricked' into being captured.
Fish can outswim a human, have gills, have knowledge to stay away from bigger creatures, can swim to the safety of deeper water or use camoflauge to hide themselves from the human eye.
Spearos have to hunt with precision and skill. No scuba gear, holding their breath and enter the world where the fish rule - not the human.
If spearing is not on a level / equal playing field with the fish then no other method of fishing could possible be. Except for catching them with you teeth..., I suppose.
My thoughts,
Mick

mako_5.2
19-02-2005, 04:53 PM
Mick
Do you just throw your spear in the water or do you wait until you see a fish first. I know when I go fishing I am not looking at the fish I am trying to trick into eating my bait. Maybe all is not equal.

My one sided opinion
Darren