PDA

View Full Version : Phill's 1770 report

Lucky_Phill
21-02-2005, 11:17 AM
Team ReBait consisted of work mates Ray & Carlo, Ausfish newbie, The_Deckie and myself. We based ourselves at “ Peter’s Cottage “, a quaint little 2 bedroom affair overlooking the Pacific at Round Hill Head.

Saturday night saw us at Kahuna’s Pizza Bar & Grill, as guests of Vlad. The mini M & G had around 36 in attendance, with many beers going down nicely. Vlad’s Pizza’s were a hit and in particular the Seafood special. The welcome consisted of a run down on the area and a “ event “ which targeted Bugman. Tony , from Agnes Bait & Tackle provided a pack which contained, maps, tides, charts etc, all good info. After many beers, a POLE signing was in order with most leaving their ‘ mark’ for others to follow. I won’t be able to name all the attendees, for fear of missing one or two, but over the week, I believe there was 40 plus, Ausfishers in Agnes at any given time.

I won’t go into depths on the fishing excursions, as there were too many, and others will post results here later. So a brief run down on what I did.

Made the effort early to follow Tony, and 6 other boats, up Round Hill Creek to get a first hand look at Prawn spots, Crab spots and Fish spots, but the most important was the Sandbar Spots. Many creeks and areas, that appeared very fishey, but didn’t produce at the time. The area Tony pointed out for the Prawns, worked a treat a couple of days later, with Team ReBait filling a 10ltr bucket for an hour or so’s effort.

Other places I explored were, Middle Creek to the North of 1770 and Deepwater National Park and Baffle Creek, to the south. All resulting in minimal results, but let’s consider that a one off trip with very little local knowledge, weather that was best suited to flying kites and lots of fresh water making the creeks “ chocolate “ in places. These areas will fire on their day and now armed with more knowledge, I believe that a good result can be achieved next time. Good luck to a couple of boys that donged the Jacks etc. Team Rebait, did make it offshore one day, but only placed minimal reefies in the slury

Over the week, many crabs and prawns hit the cooking pots. Some reef fish managed to make their way into eskies, in particular Team Bogey. A congrats to that team for their efforts in “ filthy “ offshore conditions. That event saw the Friday nights meal at Team Bogey’s house consist of, Entree....Battered Nannigai, Main......whole BBQ’d Coral Trout and for dessert, Chilli Mud Crab, washed down with a few XXXX’s. Does it get any better ?

Another social gathering at Tony & Roz’s house saw a gathering of many, the hard core Ausfishers, who seem to need no sleep. Roz’s Chilli Crab went down well, with a few watery eye’s and runny nose’s, attesting to the “ spice “. More mini M & G’s were at Team Rebaits, with The_Deckie keeping us in stiches for many an hour. That lad didn’t take a breath for 45 minutes at one stage. A breakfast at the local bakery, saw over 10 Ferets down Beef and Red Wine pies, til there were none left for the tourists. Tourists ! Well, I hope the locals we met would consider us “ locals “ by now.

Dave & Michelle from the local bakery made us feel very welcome, and became honorary Ausfishers, not only for their efforts in keeping all supplies at hand ( including delivery after hours ), but also there willingness to share their knowledge.

Enough cannot be said about Tony and Sandi ( Agnes-Jack, Agnes_Jill ), owners of the Tackle shop, who helped in so many ways. Even meeting them for the first time, it felt like you were catching up with old friends. So the message here, is that any Ausfish member, or indeed any fisherman, who goes to Agnes Water/ 1770, and does NOT pop in to see Tony, Sandi or Josh, you’ll be doing yourself a Dis-Service. !

There were many events, that for some, defied belief, but most made you laugh til ya cheeks hurt. One such event took place in Round Hill Creek while whiting fishing. Brad was standing on the sandbar up to his knees, while Carlo, The_Deckie and I were in the boat. The_Deckie ( Paul ) decided he wanted to fish on the sandbar, so over the side he hops, only to find water up past his belly button. Why ? I had anchored on the sandbar, to position the boat in the channel. Better still, we had other Ausfishers at the boat for a chat at the time.

A list of events that need to be expanded on are:-

Greta............( she won’t answer me back................... Sandi ? )

Swimming with Sharks ........ Brett

Swimming pool tent.........Daniel ?

Missed the bathroom by that much............Ray ( spewey )

Jeez, what do you mean, we are out of fuel................Steve ?

What to do with the Powers Gold ?.......................Brad ?

My poor old Black Pussy..........................Roz ?

My house mate is how old ?.....................Peter ?

That’s a sharp knife..........................Steve..again !

Did you see the size of that shark ?..........Craig ?

and many more.

Well, I had a ball. Talk about a great bunch of Ferets.

Let the stories expand..............Cheers Phill

Lucky_Phill
21-02-2005, 11:18 AM
south !

Lucky_Phill
21-02-2005, 12:11 PM
Brett's first catch !

Lucky_Phill
21-02-2005, 12:12 PM
Round Hill Creek assault

Lucky_Phill

Lucky_Phill
more ready

Lucky_Phill
21-02-2005, 12:13 PM
Ferets

Lucky_Phill
21-02-2005, 12:16 PM
Team Rebaits House

Lucky_Phill
21-02-2005, 12:17 PM
Brad, bait collecting

Lucky_Phill
21-02-2005, 12:19 PM
Ahhhh Crabs.....again !

thedeckie
21-02-2005, 03:51 PM
I dont even remember holding those for that photo(DAM YOU BUNDY!!!!!!) thats a worry,I hope they were dead!!!!!!

Paul

dfox
21-02-2005, 04:34 PM
You did more then just hold them paul, and they were very much alive!!!!!! hahaha...foxy

craigie
22-02-2005, 02:22 PM
Phill,

A very accurate account of what went on.

A great time had by all who made the treck.

Craigie.

dfox
22-02-2005, 02:46 PM
Some more pic's
This is the convoy heading up the creeks, weather looks great!!!

dfox
22-02-2005, 02:48 PM
The offshore conditions :-[

dfox
22-02-2005, 02:50 PM
The boys fishing in those conditions, im driving with the outboards in gear

dfox
22-02-2005, 02:52 PM
My first ever fish at 1770, hopefully not my last...foxy

Scott15
22-02-2005, 03:02 PM
foxy. y were u driving with the outboards on when they were fishing. safety reasons???

Scott

dfox
22-02-2005, 03:13 PM
The pic dosent do the conditions justice scott, just after that pic i took a breaker right over the roof of the cab and nearly drowned the boys, the waves come through in sets and ya wouldnt want to be side on to any cause you deffently would have rolled the boat.It wasnt the smartest thing of done, but it was a thrill...foxy

Scott15
22-02-2005, 03:51 PM
foxy,

yer safety first. i can see some white caps there :o

Scott

James_V17L
22-02-2005, 04:56 PM
awesome report & pics Phill..sounds like you guys had an absolute ball...great pics also foxy,u guys are keen :o

searaider
22-02-2005, 09:22 PM
Foxy ( David ) ,
Top photos , and a good Snapper as well .
Its amazing how photo's never show how rough it actually is .

Peter
Searaider 2

Bad_Bubby
22-02-2005, 09:52 PM
Yeah nice work foxy! the stones look way out of bounds :o

Swimming pool tent.........Daniel ?

Phil...don't know what was harder swimming against the current rushing in the tent or getting the tent back in the suitcase. Oh well good thing we kept this one quiet with bad bubby pride on the line;) :P

Volvo
23-02-2005, 05:08 AM
;)Gee nice Snapper there Foxy, rewards go to those that chase em:)...
Cheers