PDA

View Full Version : Labor Party Wild Rivers Policy Election Commitment

Derek Bullock
24-02-2005, 12:01 PM
Following a four year campaign by QCC and the Wilderness Society, Queensland Premier Peter Beattie promised in 2004 that a re-elected Labor government would enact a Wild Rivers Act, protecting 19 rivers predominantly in the Gulf of Carpentaria and Cape York.

Check out the Conservation Website at http://www.qccqld.org.au/rivers_alive/wildrivers.htm

Cheers

Derek

Derek Bullock
24-02-2005, 12:10 PM
More from the Wilderness Society at http://www.wilderness.org.au/campaigns/wildrivers/rivers/#top

Derek

Derek Bullock
24-02-2005, 12:13 PM
Queensland Conservation Council and The Wilderness Society Wild Rivers Legislation initial submission at http://www.edo.org.au/edoqld/edoqld/lawreform/wildrivers.pdf

Derek

Derek Bullock
24-02-2005, 12:14 PM
Bob Brown and the Greens have their say at http://www.voteenvironment.com.au/qld2004/report03_.htm

Derek

Derek Bullock
24-02-2005, 12:17 PM
On the Parliamentry Site People can even sign a petion online at http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/EPetitions_QLD/cgi-bin/Petitions.cgi?Action=1

Derek

kc
24-02-2005, 12:20 PM
Thanks for your prompt attention to this Derek....interesting reading.if you follow it through, right to the actually Government policy announcement it specifically avoids dealing with the fishing issue.

I have written to the QCC and asked them to clarify this issue.

The NQCC are on records as saying recreational fishing is "a barbaric practice with no place in a modern society" so I am a bit nervous.

If you look at the rivers nominated it is down right frightening if the plan is to ban fishing in wild rivers.

I will post on this thread any feedback from QCC and Wilderness society.

KC

Derek Bullock
24-02-2005, 12:29 PM
KC

From the Queensland Conservation Council Position Paper at http://www.qccqld.org.au/rivers_alive/newsletter/September/wild_rivers_policy.pdf page 4.

ban commercial fishing and strictly control recreational fishing;

and further

Wild or Natural Rivers should be declared as fish habitat areas. Under the Fisheries Act this would provide buffer zones to protect creek and foreshore habitats along wild and natural rivers.

Cheers

Derek

kc
24-02-2005, 12:29 PM
Thanks again Derek......s^%$# your quick. Had a read of most of this...a lot of talk of management plans but no mention of access or lack of for rec fishing.

I have emailed a few organisations for their thoughts.

KC

Derek Bullock
24-02-2005, 12:35 PM
KC

Updated my previous post with additional info.

Derek

kc
24-02-2005, 12:36 PM
This RAP for the creek and river guys...........here we go again.

KC

Daintreeboy
24-02-2005, 01:28 PM
OK had a quick read at most of it, thanks Derek.
Just a query here, If both the Wenlock and Ducie River systems get the go ahead, does that mean Port Musgrave where they flow into is included? This is important as the Mapoon community is based there and Cullen point is a great little camp spot that provides us with a place to go and the local community some much needed dollars. Both mouths are a significant distance from Cullen point.
Also, the Holroyd river system, does that include the Kendall River which the Holroyd runs into?
Thanks, Mark.

megafish71
24-02-2005, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the info Derek, Gee your quick!

I must say I'm feeling a little nervous about this one, I think us fisho's are in for another shafting. Why did I every leave the NT. :'( :'(

Ron

megafish71
24-02-2005, 01:34 PM
Mark, I think the key words are river systems, thus including all creeks and tributories.

Ron

Dug
24-02-2005, 01:41 PM
Sponsoring member is Ronan#LEE#MP
Suite 1, 49 Station Road
INDOOROOPILLY#4068

Ph: (07) 3878 1928
Fax: (07) 3378 7072
Email: indooroopilly@parliament.qld.gov.au

http://www.teambeattie.com/04_candidates/candidate.asp?ID=302

If you have comments I suggest you send them to him.

Be polite and keep it simple.

Wild rives policy is great but must include recreational fishing.
Recreational fishing means money and jobs for locals as well as sustainability and protection of the environment.

Derek Bullock
24-02-2005, 01:50 PM
Guys

Look at this link. It has a map that shows the areas involved around the Gulf and the Cape. It's the Govt Election Promise Document.

http://www.qccqld.org.au/rivers_alive/newsletter/Wild%20Rivers%20Special/Beattie%20Wild%20Rivers%20policy.pdf

Be aware also that this proposal includes ALL of Hinchinbrook Island so that will mean all creeks flowing off the Island.

Cheers.

Derek

Derek Bullock
24-02-2005, 01:54 PM
I must say I'm feeling a little nervous about this one, I think us fisho's are in for another shafting. Why did I every leave the NT. :'( :'(

I think you will find that the Federal Government have already started up there as well.

Derek

Charlie
24-02-2005, 01:57 PM
We have a lot of National Parks in NSW were fishing is allowed but they have closed the road access to public vehicles. I’d be very wary of people allowing fishing but totally restricting access unless you have time to hike in 4 to 20 km or whatever.
Regards Charlie

Thanks for your prompt attention to this Derek....interesting reading.if you follow it through, right to the actually Government policy announcement it specifically avoids dealing with the fishing issue.

I have written to the QCC and asked them to clarify this issue.

The NQCC are on records as saying recreational fishing is "a barbaric practice with no place in a modern society" so I am a bit nervous.

If you look at the rivers nominated it is down right frightening if the plan is to ban fishing in wild rivers.

I will post on this thread any feedback from QCC and Wilderness society.

KC

megafish71
24-02-2005, 02:03 PM
Your dead right there Derek, the feds have started up there, but they have a fight on there hands as the Territory Government is well aware of the true value rec fishing is to the NT. Fishing tourism is a huge money spinner for the economy up there.

Ron

Daintreeboy
24-02-2005, 03:56 PM
Mark, I think the key words are river systems, thus including all creeks and tributories.

Ron
Yeah that's what I figured. So they go for the Holroyd which runs into the Kendall only a couple of kms upstream from the mouth so the Kendall can get included, dang!!

Daintreeboy
24-02-2005, 04:02 PM
Thought I might also mention that map Derek has posted the link to does not even show the Kendall River.
Cheers, Mark.

nulla
25-02-2005, 03:55 AM
Derek

The QCC and WS in their "Initial Submission" document appear to be either commenting on draft legislation or wording the legislation themselves (with the help of legal advice from Environmental Defenders Office).

Do you know any more about this? Is there a draft already drawn up or are they going to supply the Government with a draft for use? What is the purpose of the 'Initial Submission'? Submission to whom?

Is this the way the system works? Environmentalists have the 'inside running' on preparing a draft for public comment (which is largely ignored) and then it is legislated.

borisdog
25-02-2005, 06:07 AM
Here's what I sent to the Member for Indooroopilly Mr Lee who is the sponsor for this legislation. I also sent it to my local member for Mundingburra (Townsville). I'm not good at this stuff but every little bit helps. I'll post any replies I get but if they're anything true to form it'll be waffle in about 10 weeks.

Mr Lee,
I see you are the sponsor of the proposed "Wild Rivers" legislation currently being considered. My request to you is simple. Please provide the public of the status recreational fishing will have in these rivers should these proposals be enacted. I am a member of "The Fishing Party (QLD)" and ,as such, the status of my favoured recreational pursuit is very near and dear to me given recent restrictions enacted by both the Federal and Queensland governments. My belief in the "Public Consultation" process has been eroded to the point where I am immediately cynical of this proposed legislation despite the fact that it contains points which I believe bear considerable merit. If the final result of this legislation is further wholesale closures of access to recreational fishermen then I feel my cynicism will be well founded.
I feel if you were to provide details of the status of recreational fishing in this proposal then, assuming the details were favourable and acceptable to recreational fishermen, you will likely gain considerable support from the recreational fishing community. Backlash from proposals detrimental to access for recreational fishermen in this state have previously been felt by Qld Labour Governments in the case of access to fishing in National Parks.
One needs only to look to the NT for the value to a community of a well managed recreational fishery that incorporates strong conservation values, and let us not forget that recreational fishermen are, by nature, tourists.
In closing I thank you for your time and look forward to your statement on the matter.

Derek Bullock
25-02-2005, 07:10 AM
Nulla

I am only providing the information that is available and have no indepth knowledge of it.

A few observations I would like to make though is that Ausfish members only represent a small percentage of rec fishers yet most seem to be so far behind in knowledge and understanding of what is actually happening in relation to the future. Similarly I would have to say the same about The Fishing Party. I certainly hope that is not the case across the whole country but wouldn't be surprised.

An example of this is the proposed Great Sandy Marine Park. All of this was public knowledge nearly three years ago and if you look at the available documents it was basically decided back then what would happen. It then went on to become a Labour Party election promise for the last election.

Another is this current one we are talking about on the proposed Wild Rivers Legislation. All of the documentation is not old and in fact this was Labour Party Policy Statement for the last election.

It's a big disapointemnt to me that the Wild Rivers issue was a policy statement of the Labour Party during the last election yet to my knowledge and from KC's statements on here the Fishing Party did not appear to know about it yet they were contesting for the first time in the same election. Know what your enemy is doing.

To answer your question from a purely theoretical prospective, groups like FIDO, the Greens, Queensland Conservation Council and the Wilderness Society are actively out there looking at ways to place what they believe are good proposals before Governement. Goverments are listening to them as well because they have some credibility. It appears rec fishers and the Fishing Party are simply catching up and being reactionary and this is putting them on the back foot.

OK now I have said that let me qualify it.

KC, I am not having a go at the Fishing Party. I am also not overly criticising rec fishers, although I think the papthy displayed by a lot deserve it. The Fishing Party is a new Political Party in the arena and do have some catching up to do with things that have happened in the past and currently going on. Similarly so do rec fishers who appear to be now only taking notice and interest of what is happening to their sport.

THIS APATHY AND REACTIONARY HOWEVER MUST STOP AND STOP NOW

We need to be looking to the future, watching what the heck is going on around us, checking up on what the enemy is proposing and doing, hitting them before they hit us, putting proposals to Governement before the Greens and the Wilderness Society and the Conservation Council and even groups like PETA get the opportunity to. Only then will rec fishers have the satisfaction of seeing things happen their way.

Guys, dont sit back and then act all surprised when a Govt Policy comes out that affects you and say where was the consultation when in fact the information was out there for everyone in the first place.

Good place to start looking is on the Internet. Even though I did have some background knowledge of it, it took me only about 20 minutes to drag up all that stuff on the Wild Rivers proposal.

Cheers

Derek

Fisher_Boats
25-02-2005, 07:35 AM
Derek,
Your spot on with your comments.
Getting the info.......easy
Saying what should happen.......easy
But.... making it happen........hard!!
Why....MONEY,TIME and getting people together......hard!!
Cheers
Col

Derek Bullock
25-02-2005, 07:50 AM
Col

I guess people have to make a decision, is the investment of money and time worth it.

Yes, a rhetorical question, of course it is.

Derek

Daintreeboy
25-02-2005, 08:26 AM
Well said Derek. I have a question for you that hopefully will help us rec fishers, particularly those in the far north. Most of us fishers don't use the internet so will not track down any info via this medium. Where abouts could we look to find this sort of information freely? Sounds like a dumb question I know, but I'd like to keep my fellow rec fishers up here informed and also help them out in getting the information themselves without having tro spend hours doing it.
Thanks, Mark.

nulla
25-02-2005, 08:41 AM
Derek

Thanks for the comments.

Your point about GSS and Wild Rivers being ALP policy at the last election yet TFP is only just catching up is right and wrong - TFP was focused on Federal issues - GSS and Wild Rivers are both state politics. State issues are now getting attention.

I agree that there is a massive amount of catching up to do. The green movement has years head start on TFP. As such it has a massive structure in place and TFP is behind the eight ball and under resourced - but is catching up

TFP needs more people willing to do their bit. It is getting there but needs to accelerate.

Keep your comments coming - They are most welcome.

Nulla

Glind
25-02-2005, 08:51 AM
Also TFPQ has only been up and running for about 12 months, hence it will be behind and....... so much to do, so little time.........
However if enough of us make enough noise, these proposals may be able to be ammended, altered, adjusted........
Tim

kc
25-02-2005, 08:59 AM
Fair comments Derek but to put into perspective the TFPQ experience we have been going less than 1 year. All our efforts the first 6 months were fighting RAP and we have a great deal of background information on this issue. Then it was directed at a federal election. We have not fought a state election and Wild Rivers is a state labor policy. I have both Federal Labor & Federal Liberals fisheries policies and recreational fishing policy on file and am reasonabley conversant with these

We are catching up on 20 years of well funded, well organised and multistranded green politics and with empire builders standing in the way at every tuen.

Take for an example Sunfish....and this is not news...they are well aware of our position on this.....people actually prepared to do a bit of work towards their sport are pretty light on the ground. Many people could work both with Sunfish & TFPQ as we are, we believe, like minded and out for the same result. Sunfish direct their members that they can not be part of a TFPQ executive committee.......do you think Bob Brown is not allowed to be member of greenpeace or the Wilderness Society?? dunmb rule!!

Sunfish have a number of years "head start" on us. They are suppossed to be the conduits to the recreational fishing public. They have all the information on Wild Rivers, yet, as Mark quite rightly mentions....where the hell is it??

Not in any of the fishing mags, not in the tackle shops...just hidden within the cosy enclaves of the choosen few!! I don't get it.

COMMUNICATION!!!!! BOYS

As an organisation TFPQ is clearly in its infancy and most certainly not accross all issues...not even close. We rely on members bringing issues to us, we do some work on them and then do the best we can.........how successful we are will be determined by the outcomes we get....Arlington Reef will be a meassure of this. While we may well have in excess of 1000 members, in reality we have only a handfull of "workers" and these guys are doing a great job off the back foot. Maybe in 20 years time we will be just as effective as the greens and actually have the funds, human resources and time to lead Governments rather than pursue them.

Time will tell

KC

Daintreeboy
25-02-2005, 09:14 AM
By the way KC I've sent an email to neale about helping out up this way.
Cheers, Mark.

dasher
25-02-2005, 12:05 PM
Nulla

An example of this is the proposed Great Sandy Marine Park. #All of this was public knowledge nearly three years ago and if you look at the available documents it was basically decided back then what would happen. It then went on to become a Labour Party election promise for the last election.

Derek

Derek with due respect mate, most of what you say is true. BUT with regard to the zoning of GSS, how the hell could you keep up with plans when the draft originally prepared by the working party was scrapped and another introduced recently that the working party refuse to be associated with. The original draft, although not perfect, was a hell of a lot different to the one prepared by ?????????

Not catch up mate, just government trickery. >:(

Derek Bullock
25-02-2005, 02:29 PM
Not catch up mate, just government trickery

It's not trickery Daryl, its the way Governments work. We may not like it but thats the system we have.

People have to be as smart or even smarter, they have to be talkin to the right people and be at the right places.

The Fishing Party need representation on all Government Committees relating to rec fishing. I am not talking about KC here, but ordinary members. I look at what KC wrote before about having 1000 members and only a small number doing the work and feel downright bloody sorry for him.

Heaps of people including members doing the moaning and groaning but very few actually prepared to get in and do something. By doing something I am talking about committment, committment of time and money.

Organisations like the Wilderness Society, the Conservation Council and the Greens dont just sit back and get an everyday bloke to write policy like you saw on previous pages. What they do is come up with ideas like "Lets plan on getting all rivers in Queensland Wild Rivers". So they employ a research team, and pay them big bucks. They go out and conduct surveys, conduct investigations, then they employ professional writers, again at big bucks, to come up with a proposal for Government.

At this stage in their growth I doubt the Fishing Party are in that position so they need help from you people. You need to constantly be in touch with Govt Departments, networking is the name of the game, finding out what is going on, talking to local Members of Parliament (particularly the Opposition), watching out for press releases, articles in the papers, researching the internet and then passing that information on.

How many of you are trying to find out what is going to happen in Moreton Bay as far as Marine Parks are concerned. That was another Labour Party election promise that is going to be put out before long.

I could go on and on but I think you get the drift.

Derek

dasher
25-02-2005, 02:55 PM
Fair call Derek and very good advice mate, but re the GSS final draft unless you knew someone in the party that would take a few bucks, there was no way u could be privvy to the final draft b4 the release.

Derek Bullock
25-02-2005, 03:05 PM
re the GSS final draft unless you knew someone in the party that would take a few bucks

Daryl, thats not nice but it IS in a way what I was saying. It's all about networking where people can share information. I bet the Greens and a few others knew what was going on.

Forget the bribery mate, I dont want you as one of
my "clients".

Derek

Derek Bullock
25-02-2005, 03:09 PM
Following a four year campaign by QCC and the Wilderness Society, Queensland Premier Peter Beattie promised in 2004 that a re-elected Labor government would enact a Wild Rivers Act

Did you all miss that. They were actually campaigning for 4 years prior to the lead up to the last election to get this happening.

What have we been doing.

Derek

dasher
25-02-2005, 03:11 PM
;D ;D ;D ;D Pretty safe Derek, with what I could afford I'd be lucky to get the cleaners christian name. ::) ;D

Derek Bullock
25-02-2005, 03:14 PM
I think her first name is Mary so there is a lead for ya. #;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Just kidding. :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

dasher
25-02-2005, 03:18 PM
Bugger me your quick. :o ;D

P.S. Thanks for the tip, I'll start looking for Mary ::) ;D ;D

Jay_S
25-02-2005, 05:23 PM
What your all saying is right and it relates back to what some of us have been trying to say all along. ;)
So.... let's step aside for a moment of all that is happening... Unfortunately it all comes back to MONEY! (and a few other things)
So with all the good advice that's coming through .... We need money and dedication from everyone....anyone got some ideas?????

Cheers Col

We are on the back foot [smiley=behead.gif] (as reco angler's).....but that's life.
I've got children that love fishing#8)

kc
25-02-2005, 07:55 PM
I have been following up with QCC and the winderness society.

Following is a quote from Larissa Cordner. Campaign co-ordinator from the wild rivers section of tthe wilderness society.

"Hi Kevin

The groups working on Wild Rivers protection – QCC and TWS, have done a lot further work on our position for the campaign since the paper you mentioned completed in 2002. Below is the wording on fishing as per our policy position: This comes under the section on ‘indicative’ prohibited activities framework and hence doesn’t mention recreational fishing because we support that activity within wild rivers".

Reads to me like this is a storm in a tea cup. The bulk of the "Wild rivers"policy is all good and if they support recreational fishing in "wild rivers" as it appears they do...then this deserves the support of TFPQ.

I am on public record as saying our policies have more in common with the green movement than any other political party...just some within this movement are very clearly anti-fishing.

If QCC and the wilderness society "support recreational fishing in wild rivers", then, subject to member input, TFPQ would give in principle support for this policy. No Need to press the panic button yet!!

KC

Daintreeboy
25-02-2005, 09:01 PM
excellent