PDA

View Full Version : Great Sandy Marine Park Submissions Extended

Derek Bullock
23-02-2005, 02:03 PM
Environment, Local Government, Planning & Women, Desley Boyle

22/02/05

Great Sandy Marine Park consultation extended

Submissions on the Beattie Government's draft Great Sandy Marine Park will be received for a further two weeks after the formal close of consultation, Environment Minister Desley Boyle announced today.

Ms Boyle met with representatives of recreational fishing group Sunfish this afternoon.

Ms Boyle said: "The fact is this plan is extremely complex, and
achieving a final product that properly reflects local needs is vital to the region's future.

"Sunfish representatives told me today that some people are worried they won't get their submissions in on time, and only became aware of the full details of the draft plan in the last couple of weeks.

"I'm therefore happy to receive submissions for a period of up to two weeks after the official closing date of 28 February.

"I urge anyone with an interest in this important regional plan, who hasn't yet put in a submission, to take the time to tell us what they think," she said.

Speaking in State Parliament before the meeting with Sunfish, Ms Boyle praised the efforts of local Member Andrew McNamara in representing the interests of 'recreational fishers, commercial fishers, tourists and environmentalists'.

"He is quite right that the mums and the dads, the grandparents for that matter, and their kids who enjoy recreational fishing must be looked after," Ms Boyle said.

Ms Boyle told Parliament that 96 percent of the park would remain available to recreational fishers, with a reduction from three to one rod or line for each fisher in 12 percent of the proposed park (conservation zone).

Consultation will now conclude on 14 March.

MEDIA CONTACT: Louise Foley on 3227 8825 or 0407 966 829

Jay_S
23-02-2005, 05:41 PM
Interesting..........The extension granted would'nt have anything to do with the efforts of everyone else besides sunfish would it?

Col

kc
23-02-2005, 09:12 PM
Now now Col, Don't be sceptical....of course not. Sunfish are the peak body....just ask the government...after all....you can trust them...can't you!!!!

We have no beef with Sunfish....just some different ideas and I have, after just last week meeting with Sunfish Fraser Coast, no knowledge of them wanting an extension to the submission time frame....The Fishing Party have however been caling for an extra 14 days since we became involved....anyone interested can PM me and I will copy you in to the email conversations with Nick Heath...Minsiter Boyles senior advisor.

At the end of the day...whoever claims the "glory" for an extension of the time frame is irrelavent...the point is we have another 14 days.

TFPQ has made it clear that we came in late and did not have time to get a professional submission in by 28th Feb.............an extra 14 days will be great.

I really have to say that the State EPA and Ministers office are being a lot more open and prepraed to listen than the GBRMPA...........they should be commended for this...where there is life there is hope.

KC

Derek Bullock
24-02-2005, 03:21 AM
Ms Boyle told Parliament that 96 percent of the park would remain available to recreational fishers, with a reduction from three to one rod or line for each fisher in 12 percent of the proposed park (conservation zone).

Did you all miss that little comment.

Thats an interesting comment by Ms Boyle. Seems to me that the decisions have already been made on this one. Not that I am complaining myself.

Derek

kc
24-02-2005, 04:19 AM
It's the same departmental line they have been peddeling since day 1.

Yes it is "only" 12%....just the 12% most people use, the entire GSS leaving the wide open spaces of the bay blue.

The basis of our submission, as put to the people who attended our meeting last week are already posted.

There are, we believe, much better ways of managing the fishery and biodiversity and we will be working towards that end.

KC
TFPQ

tshort
24-02-2005, 10:52 AM
If the Conservation zone works and fish do proliferate, there will come a time when the'll be so thick that you wont be able to even paddle in the Straits without injuring fish or dugongs. Thats when I'm going to buy a commercial licence, or maybe I should buy one now before prices escalate.

kc
24-02-2005, 11:59 AM
Do I detect a note of sarcasm???

tshort
25-02-2005, 02:50 AM
No not at all. If you reduce the number of boats but increase the number of dugongs accordingly, as a mathemetical equation will this reduce the number of strikes?

nonibbles
25-02-2005, 04:59 AM
Yes, it will because all human impact on waterways will be so restricted that there will be no boats there to strike them with

tshort
25-02-2005, 05:07 AM
Except for the pro's nonibbles.

Gazza
25-02-2005, 05:11 AM
Pro's should be compulsory-arily ;D aboriginal ,so ....
DED's aren't required :-X
Dugong Exclusion Devices 8)

Fisheasy
25-02-2005, 05:49 AM
When was the last time anyone saw a dugong in the GSS? I must admit, I haven't seen one for a couple of years. Turtles and Minky whales yes.....

Derek Bullock
25-02-2005, 07:19 AM
There are a lot hang around the flats in front of Kauri Creek.

Derek

tshort
26-02-2005, 06:55 AM
Due Dugongs go as well as Minky, with a tossed green salad.