PDA

View Full Version : Waterproof Queensland Fish Guide

imported_admin
12-02-2005, 05:52 PM
http://www.ausfish.com.au/books/images/qldfishguide.jpg

The Queensland Fish Guide is a fish ID book with a difference - it is Waterproof. It covers all the freshwater and saltwater fish in Queensland.

The definitive guide to Queensland fish species and how to catch them.

Containing accurate fish illustralians, descriptions, and digrams of the best rigs to catch each fish, this book is an invaluable reference for any angler, fresh or saltwater, wanting to identify their catch.

Here is a quick scan of one of the species pages.
http://www.ausfish.com.au/books/images/qfgbream.jpg

More details -> http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/shop/cart.pl?db=books.dat&category=FISHIDBOOKS

webby
12-02-2005, 06:57 PM
Some fancy looking rigs there for Bream, love the Paternoster ??? and the 1-6'0 hooks, please tell me where i can find a Bream that you'll need a 6'0 to stop it ;D
Sorry Steve
regards

macdwp01
12-02-2005, 07:12 PM
Looks alright, how many pages is it and how exactly is it waterproof, im thinking of buying it but i don't want to get a gimmick that says its waterproof when its not. Cheers

imported_admin
13-02-2005, 06:03 AM
Looks alright, how many pages is it and how exactly is it waterproof, im thinking of buying it but i don't want to get a gimmick that says its waterproof when its not. Cheers

More details -> http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/shop/cart.pl?db=books.dat&category=FISHIDBOOKS

ba229
13-02-2005, 06:21 AM
I have a relative of this book and use it on a very regular basis to figure out what I just caught and whether it is any good to keep.

If I lived in Qld I would really seriously consider buying this book.

dasher
13-02-2005, 07:20 PM
Uhm not much use when u can't use the rigs in the great sandy strait. ??? ??? ???

macdwp01
13-02-2005, 07:52 PM
For those who have this publication is it worth parting my hard earned for. Cheers :)

dasher
13-02-2005, 09:43 PM
Hey Webby the paternoster rig won't help you here mate (In Hervey Bay) too many hooks for the EPA ??? :-X

Sideshow_Cod
14-02-2005, 08:04 AM
why cant you use them in hervey bay. once again forgive my ignorance but i was just informed multiple hooks were allowed in qld

Thunderbird
14-02-2005, 02:41 PM
I recon they need a waterproof size and bag limit book ;)
Only trouble is that it'd version 1,2,3,4,5 ect ect
Can't go here or there with that rig, this areas a green zone during these months of the year over these dates bla bla bla...........

MulletMan
15-02-2005, 06:18 AM
I just tried to order this item from Ausfish but got kicked oiut of the process when I had filled in all the details and tried to go to the fibal payment bit...........!!
Wonder why?
I was thrown back to the Ausfish products page and no prompts of directions from there how to continue the order. Finger trubble this end maybe?

dasher
15-02-2005, 06:42 AM
why cant you use them in hervey bay. once again forgive my ignorance but i was just informed multiple hooks were allowed in qld
Sorry slow to reply. At present we are about to get shafted with a 1 rod 1 hook zone that takes in the entire Great Sandy Straits, so paternoster rigs will be illegal. ??? ::) And just to further shaft us the gov is going to allow netting in the same area. >:( >:( I'm sure that must make sense to somebody. ??? ??? ??? ???

drb
15-02-2005, 11:03 AM
Sorry slow to reply. At present we are about to get shafted with a 1 rod 1 hook zone that takes in the entire Great Sandy Straits, so paternoster rigs will be illegal. #??? ::) And just to further shaft us the gov is going to allow netting in the same area. >:( >:( I'm sure that must make sense to somebody. ??? ??? ??? ???

What Daryl is attempting to say is that there is a "DRAFT" plan out for the zoning of Hervey Bay and the Sandy Straits that in its current form will allow only one hook and one line per person. The EPA is currently seeking intelligent submissions from all areas of the community on the plan. If enough concerned recreational fisherman send in an intelligent submission the draft plan may be amended.

Sending in rubbish submissions like "we dont want this zoning cause it is bullshit" will acheive nothing.

I personally think one line one hook is acceptable if we can significantly reduce the netting but not everyone fishes like that.

Perhaps some catch and release zones should be added to the plan as well.

So come on guys, visit the EPA web site and send in a submission. If you do nothing you will change nothing.

Dazz

dasher
15-02-2005, 01:20 PM
Copy of na email from TFPQ
Good afternoon all,

As we get close to the Great Sandy Straights meeting I though it best to float some strategy ideas for Wednesday night. Bear in mind please these are clearly ideas and open to input prior to finalising an agenda but it is important, particularly for those who have not been involved heavily with the GBR rezoning to understand our thinking and the methods which we believe will offer some chance of a reasonable out come.

First a few things which won't work.

Just saying no netting won't work. The state government is not prepared to stop commercial fishing in GSS. This is for a number of reasons, some moral and some clearly compensation related. I am happy to elaborate on this point at the meeting and also with anyone who wants to discuss it. I know it is a big issue and Sunfish have pushed this but it is falling on deaf or even hostile ears. The media use the image of recreational fishers wanting all the fish for themselves against us (& Sunfish) and the government won't have a bar of it. Just be reminded of the slogan used so well by the commercial fishing industry "Fresh fish for everyone"...what we do "collectively" when we stick it to the pros is send a message to Mrs average housewife that recreational fishers want to stop her being able to buy fish at the local supermarket (little does she know what she buys is usually imported fish farm muck in the first place) .If our main aim is just to get rid of the pros we will lose both the zoning war and the PR war. I will come back to this issue as part of strategy.

Saying no yellow zones or no green zones won't work. The government and EPA's Australia wide are committed to this course of action and just saying no...won't work. We need to beat the EPA at it own game in this regard and again TFPQ has a strategy for this which I will elaborate on later. Until the government fears the recreational fishing vote MORE than the green vote we can not stop the zoning & the greens have a 20 year head start on us.

So...to the plan!!

Firstly be aware that the reason commercial fishing is being allowed in the GSS yellow zone is primarily compensation related. The federal government set aside funds (initially just $10M), administered by the QRAA to pay commercial fishers effected by the GBR zoning. Under pressure from the industry which supports the rec fishing community and also as a result of the preference deal TFPQ did with the National Party the compensation package was extended to include rec fishing industries.
The state Government, when it brought in the complimentary zoning laws, which mirror the GBR zoning said it was forced into the rezoning by the federal government and therefore it was up to the feds to compensate fishers.
There appears to be little communication between the state labor gov and the federal Libs.

It is now public record that the commercial compensation for the GBR zonings has passed $32M but what is not common knowledge is that the rec compensation will exceed $100M.

This zoning IS state responsibility and with the runs on the board in NQ pressure can be brought to bear by the rec community. This is our main weapon to use as a bargaining chip....ie...we don't want compensation, we just want to be allowed to keep fishing and the businesses involved want to be allowed to stay in business.
What is also of interest is the stated intent outlined in the EPA's Draft Public Benefits Test that recreational fishing will actually be enhanced by the zoning. Clear proof now exists to the exact opposite.

And so the plan for the pro's, should be, in our opinion,. catch quotas and only for those fishers who can show a history of using this fishery. This is the high moral ground.

i.e. * We understand that the non fishing public should be able to buy fresh local fish
* The tourism & restaurant industry locally should be able to buy fresh local fish
* We care about overfishing and as such want sustainable catch quotas not open slather netting
* We care about displaced effort from other regions invading the GSS and leading to unsustainable fishing

The second part of this process is to suggest bag limits on inshore finfish...yes, I know they are coming anyway but jump the gun. "Suggest" to the EPA that we would accept bag limits as opposed to one line one hook. Suggest that a skilled angler, with 1 line & 1 hook is still capable of catching large numbers of fish....bag limits are better. They are more effective at controlling catch rates/sustainability WITHOUT impeding on a persons enjoyment of their lifestyle...again..we can take the high moral ground and leave detractors no opportunity to disagree with us. Few if any within the EPA will have any idea that bag limits are planned for inshore finfish...they don't even know what the term means.

Finally there is (as I understand) the issue of just where the green zones should be. They are inevitable but as I understand it the proposed location completely destroys some sportfishing tour operators. We will not stop the green zones and I harbour grave fears that they will ultimately go the same way as the reef and devour 33% of your bay.

I suggest the thrust of the meeting Wednesday night will be as follows.

* Reach agreement in principle to support bag limits on the GSS yellow zone provided a commercial catch quota is put in place & only for commercial fishers with a demonstrated history in this fishery.
* Reach agreement on the location of the 4% green zones so they do not ruin businesses
* Make government aware of the potential compensation involved if the GSS goes the way of the GBR and masses of people leave the sport and fishing related tourism suffers

I know our position, particularly as it relates to commercial fishing in the GSS is at odds with the Sunfish document but please give this proposal careful consideration. If Sunfish continues with its "ban netting"" call it will lose & if TFPQ pushes the catch quota issue it may well win....then there is a perfect divide and conquer.I would much rather we play the same tune....just on different stations!
TFPQ believes that the thrust of a proposal which calls for banning commercial fishing is doomed to failure but one which offers reasonable access for all and a method of improving sustainability/catch volume will allow both the EPA and government a face saving way of pleasing everyone. I know it can be a bitter pill but the only way forward at this stage is workable compromise....we can't get hard headed until we post an election result big enough to beat the greens.

Regards

Kevin Collins
Chairman
The Fishing Party (Qld)

imported_admin
15-02-2005, 01:33 PM
I just tried to order this item from Ausfish but got kicked oiut of the process when I had filled in all the details and tried to go to the fibal payment bit...........!!
Wonder why?
I was thrown back to the Ausfish products page and no prompts of directions from there how to continue the order. Finger trubble this end maybe?

Hi

Can't see why you would have been kicked from the order page. Unless your browser is having trouble connecting to the secure server.

Just placed a test order myself and it went through fine.

All I could suggest is to go back and start the process again

http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/shop/cart.pl?db=books.dat&category=FISHIDBOOKS

MulletMan
15-02-2005, 05:42 PM
Thanks Steve, got it this time!
For some weird reason every time I clicked on the product, it kept building up multiple orders i.e. I had 4 of the waterproof books on my form. Never mind all OK now. Thanks for reply.

jugs
15-02-2005, 06:33 PM
Hey we would like a couple of these Steve. Can we pick em up from you, or do you only do a postal service?

imported_admin
16-02-2005, 05:02 AM
Hey we would like a couple of these Steve. Can we pick em up from you, or do you only do a postal service?

Yes you can pick them up if you like.

Just give me a call or PM to arrange a time to pick them up.

Hutcho
25-02-2005, 05:49 AM
Got my book in the post yesterday, it looks great. Simple to read, with good illustrations of fish, with their "common names" na dtypesd of rigs used to catch them. Everything from whiting to marlin. It doesn't look as waterproof as I expected it to, but it certainly has a gloss type feel about the pages. I don't plan on reading it underwater, but if a bit of water gets on it, i'm sure it will be fine.

MulletMan
28-02-2005, 03:45 AM
Chucked mine in the pool and it is certainly waterproof - only trouble is that the pages stick together when wet but you can't have it both ways I guess. Still a handy little book to have on board.