PDA

View Full Version : Bustard Head Accomodation

mini696
01-03-2005, 03:53 PM
I was just watching The Great Outdoors. They did the Larc trip to Bustard Heads and were showing the accomodation there.

The old lighthouse keepers quarters are done up and look very nice. Last time I was there -8 years ago- it was a burnt out, trashed and smashed wreck of a place.

As I said, looks good now.

They were going on about the graves there, saying there were murders and "strange" drownings. Does anyone know the history?

Mick

mini696
01-03-2005, 03:55 PM
From their website.

"Another great place to visit is the Bustard Head Light Station. No other light station in Australia has a history of tragedies to equal that of Bustard Head. Even before the lighthouse was completed in 1868, the station claimed its first life when a workman was fatally injured in the tower.

Since then, shipwrecks, abduction, suicide, drowning and cyclones have shattered the lives of light-keepers and their families."

Mick

mackmauler
01-03-2005, 04:25 PM
Mick, it was great watching them rebuild did a few trips during that time, great characters working up there, playing opera type music like it was heavy metal ???

The graves seemed to mainly be to do with some drownings, boat overturned in pancake creek and a whole family was lost, there are a fair few headstones there.

it would have been a sad day thats for sure.

rob

Maria
01-03-2005, 09:47 PM
Kinda feels a bit eerie that I we've spearfished/snorkelled/fished/trolled over the spot where that kind of thing happened. ???

agnes_jack
02-03-2005, 03:41 AM
Murders, shootings stabbings
Been fairly standard around here lately :o
The curse is back!!!!
Regards, Tony :-X