PDA

View Full Version : Which Code

yellahunter
18-02-2005, 03:00 PM
I know this ones off the subject a little, but wondered which footy everyone follows?
wonder if AFL has really taken off in QLD??

Im AFL ;)

Needmorerum
18-02-2005, 03:32 PM
Is this the oval shaped ball, or the little red round one with the rough as guts sewing?

Corry

adriancorrea
18-02-2005, 04:04 PM
Round ball for me, but then and again I dont mind a good game of rugby league.

Tight Lines
Adrian

PinHead
18-02-2005, 06:04 PM
AFL..is that the cross country basketball. I cannot believe how a relocated melbourne side gets so much support for a game that is just a game of cheap shots. If it does not have the word "rugby" in its name, it ain't worth following.

macdwp01
18-02-2005, 07:23 PM
Hey pinhead mate the guy asked a question regarding what codes you liked if you lived in qld. You are just proving do everyone who does not live in qld that queenslanders are a bunch of pig shooting rednecks (which is what Victorians think of us, and your comments are one of the reasons why). IF you dont like afl, dont watch it, and stick to league and dont belittle of the code of afl. I live in qld and find afl 10 times more entertaining then league. Especially since Super League was introduced i have never found the code the same and the only games i follow is the state of origin. Pinhead grow up and lets try and paint QLD as a decent state full of decent people and not one full of rednecks.

macdwp01
18-02-2005, 07:27 PM
Yellahunter, regarding your question AFL is well one the way to establishing itself as a genuine force in QLD. Channel 10 have decided to televise a AFL game live every sat night this season even if the lions are not playing. A decision based on ratings in qld from last year for non-lions games. Yes some parts of qld still detest AFL but the majority of it follow the game and you would have no trouble at all joining a club in qld to play AFL. Overall, most people who follow league do keep a eye on the AFL and vice-versa but league still dominates, followed closely by afl and union fills in the rest. (No one cares about Union basically- state games only televised on pay tv )

Big_unit
18-02-2005, 09:30 PM
Hey pinhead mate the guy asked a question regarding what codes you liked if you lived in qld. You are just proving do everyone who does not live in qld that queenslanders are a bunch of pig shooting rednecks (which is what Victorians think of us, and your comments are one of the reasons why). IF you dont like afl, dont watch it, and stick to league and dont belittle of the code of afl. I live in qld and find afl 10 times more entertaining then league. Especially since Super League was introduced i have never found the code the same and the only games i follow is the state of origin. Pinhead grow up and lets try and paint QLD as a decent state full of decent people and not one full of rednecks.

I have never ever heard ( I have lived in 4 states, um I mean 3 drunk doesnt count, does it ???) anyone say that Queenslanders are a bunch of rednecks, so what if they do. A bit of interstate rivalry never hurt anyways. Queensland is a state full of decent people. Why else is there a massive migration here from the southern states and half of NZ. Sheesh I have 4 Croweaters in my street 3 Sheep tamperers and 2 Mexicans. If you dont like rednecks then apparently North Korea is nice this time of year. lol :D :D :D

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oy, Oy, Oy.
James.

PS; Rugby union is the pick of em.

PinHead
19-02-2005, 12:32 AM

mate..I really don't care what Victorians think about Qld or its residents...funny how heaps of them move up here if it is so bad. I don't have a chip on my shoulder about what they might think.

subzero
19-02-2005, 01:07 AM
Whats AFL ??? ;)
Now Rugby and NRL [smiley=laola.gif]
Signed the secret Sheep Tamperer
Go the Kiwi's (oi oi oi) ;D

Mick
19-02-2005, 02:08 AM
Sport, Sport, Sport, Sport, Sport, Sport, Sport, Sport! I am a patriotic Australian Male. If 2 teams are going at it, then I'll watch it. AFL, Super 12, League, Soccer, Surfing, Basketball, Cricket (Go Symonds - you legend!), Lawn bowls, darts, you name it!
So, this might answer your question, I live in QLD and I watch AFL as well as every other sporting event I can get my hands on. I don't have time to be choosy or downgrade one sport over another.
Mick

Bream_Reaper01
19-02-2005, 03:57 AM
Gotta agree with Mick there,all and any sport for me,foreign to most aussies but an incredible game is baseball.

drevil
19-02-2005, 04:08 AM
Years ago, as an ex-aussie rule player, I used to get ribbed all the time about playing 'aerial ping pong' and other equally stupid, ill-informed comments from yobbos who had never even seen a match, yet alone be qualified to judge it.

But I think we have all grown up a bit since then and I reckon most people I know like both league & AFL equally (not so much Rugby and even less soccer).

Maybe I'm hanging out with a higher class of people, but I think the question of which sport is better is kind of over these days. But AFL is definitely gaining popularity in QLD. For some reason I get a bit bored with NRL.

Go the Lions!!! (And the Bronk's)

zedjack33
19-02-2005, 04:08 AM
gooooooooooooooooooooooooooo the POWER.
What happend to the cubs, sorry lions last year?

Cant quit remember! Can [smiley=jester.gif] [smiley=jester.gif] [smiley=jester.gif] anyone hepl me out

Mick
19-02-2005, 04:42 AM
I remember, they got wallopped and then I wallapped the wall in frustration. I might take my sport a bit too serious sometimes. If QLD lose the state of origin, I normaly do donuts in the car for about 10 minutes, shoot things with the spear gun and then stay up the whole night crying, usually cursing Hodges or something!

yellahunter
19-02-2005, 04:51 AM
So it is quite popular up here too, iwonder if the popularity will decrease if the lions successes come to an end? I myself am from SA and grew up with the game, Ive love all sport rugby and league included, but AFL is more exciting and brings bigger crowds
GO LIONS!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Gutsy
19-02-2005, 05:03 AM
I live and breathe AFL - what I call footy - as much as fishin.

Go the CATS.

PS. I am one of those Mexicans that moved up here.

cooky
19-02-2005, 05:16 AM
I like all sports. Not very keen on AFL on TV, but live it is awesome. Went to my first game 2 years ago - semi final at the MCG and it was brilliant.
The passion for the game in VIC, SA, PERTH is infectious and I can understand how people get addicted to this great game.
I just can't seem to sit through a game on TV.

Rugby League - well I'm a North Qlder and have been watching all my life. Didn't like the super league thing, but I've got over it sort of.

Union - never played it personally, but really enjoy watching it on TV. good game - would love to see a big game live.

Cricket - played it myself for many years - just can't stand watching much of it on TV anymore - bit too much overkill I think. Did see a test match last year at the Gabba and really enjoyed it LIVE - especially all the pommie backpacker women.

Soccer - still play it now - have for too many years

Tennis - love watching tennis - particularly the womens events ;D :P

Golf - only if I can take plenty of beers with me around the course.

All other sports - I'll watch almost anything. I've even caught myself watching darts / tenpin / lawn bowls competitions on TV - my wife gets scared when she catches me (she thinks I'm mad)

DR
19-02-2005, 06:34 AM
i love league.
last year i went to a lions game with a mate who buys season tickets. thouroughly enjoyed the game. it is so much better being there than on the idiot box.

the best part, if i was in my early 20s again (long ago) i would be there every game, i have never seen so many groups of attractive young women. :P
so you young fellas should wash your ears & necks put on a clean shirt & undies, don't get pi**ed & i reckon there is a lady smorgasboard waiting at the Gabba for you. ;D ;D

macdwp01
19-02-2005, 08:10 AM
Zedjack 33, yeah i'll help you out, the lions owned the power and everyone knew that they would have won but the afl couldnt let the lions win another 4th flag in a row and so they basically screwed us before the game had started. Power will forever be known as "CHOKERS" ;D. Face it if the afl had given the lions a home final the lions would have had more legs and we would have ran over your arse. POWER = CHOKERS, LIONS = PREMIERSHIP WINNING MACHINE

Maria
19-02-2005, 08:15 AM
League and union all the way. Rugby VS AFL....not much around better seperates the men from the boys ;D.

Chrisso
19-02-2005, 08:29 AM
AFL all the way!!!! Then anyother sport after that. I always go the underdog in any sport unless I'm watching the AFL when I go for the LIONS!!!! ;D I agree with Mick too - Symonds is a legend ;D Cricket second to the big game AFL. Then League etc after that. ;)

Regards

Chris

PinHead
19-02-2005, 11:59 AM
One of the most humiliating things I have done is ask L. Power if he could get the signatures of the Lions players on one of their jerseys. I was doing some work at his residence at the time...felt like a dope asking this guy..I had no idea who he was until I was asked to do that..the person now has a jersey with the entire premiership winning teams signatures..free of charge.

subzero
19-02-2005, 12:06 PM
If we are deviating to other sports, personaly my favourite is those cheerleading champs in the USA, especially when the missus isnt around [smiley=laola.gif] [smiley=jester.gif] ;)

yellahunter
19-02-2005, 02:44 PM
seems like AFL is quite popular afterall. oh well lets hope it continues to grow!

CHRIS_aka_GWH
19-02-2005, 02:52 PM
back to the original question ...

I know this ones off the subject a little, but wondered which footy everyone follows?
wonder if AFL has really taken off in QLD??..

i would have to say I "follow" the AFL, still keenly watch Broncos games but am an avid fan of Rugby in any way shape or form without actually having too keen an interest in the score table.

I guess if I had the choice a Wallaby v All Black Test Match in the steam drenched "house of pain" would win my favour.

&

If you have ever stood sideline as a 1st grade Rugby Scrum packs, the sound of 1 tonne of human muscle meeting ...

if you have ever heard the impact as a two second row League players meet at full pelt ...

tried to play AFL for a full game, or seen the noses & physiques on ya mates that do...

you would never say any were softer than the other - just different - delightfully different - ain't variety wonderful.

chris

imnotoriginal
19-02-2005, 03:08 PM
Brisbane Broncos season member so broncos all the way. I love my rugby league. AFL is still bloody good to watch but I've always preferred league. I can watch union or soccer as well but league and afl are more exciting.
Joel
p.s. DR, I work at the gabba mate, and there are some nice ladies at the ground. Last year's game against carlton seemed to produce even more than normal, which I found quite strange....

macdwp01
19-02-2005, 03:25 PM
Hopefully Queensland can become the sport state of australia, i know many people who happily watch League and can quite happily watch afl and folllow both sports, ie they could name the players and know the rules and just not watch it. However, in some states of qld afl is ridiculed as a soft mans game. Especially in certain towns.

rossco
20-02-2005, 10:18 AM
gotta go with mick on both but favour league growing up in western queensland (roma)

baldyhead
20-02-2005, 12:52 PM
FLICK FOOTBALL.....ALL TYPES & CRICKET AND SOCCER TOOOOOOO...SHOULDN'T be ALLOWED on TV either!!!!!

FISHING RULES!!!!!!! ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Big_unit
02-03-2005, 03:44 PM
Play Rugby, meet nice people and smash them. Then stand around drinking together, bragging about it.

zedjack33
03-03-2005, 03:47 AM
Zedjack 33, yeah i'll help you out, the lions owned the power and everyone knew that they would have won but the afl couldnt let the lions win another 4th flag in a row and so they basically screwed us before the game had started. Power will forever be known as "CHOKERS" ;D. Face it if the afl had given the lions a home final the lions would have had more legs and we would have ran over your arse. POWER = CHOKERS, LIONS = PREMIERSHIP WINNING MACHINE
>:( >:( >:( Bring it on. Port are the lion tamers.

Acker = :P :P :P

;D ;D ;D

max_power
03-03-2005, 03:50 AM
Sport, Sport, Sport, Sport, Sport, Sport, Sport, Sport! I am a patriotic Australian Male. If 2 teams are going at it, then I'll watch it. AFL, Super 12, League, Soccer, Surfing, Basketball, Cricket (Go Symonds - you legend!), Lawn bowls, darts, you name it!
So, this might answer your question, I live in QLD and I watch AFL as well as every other sporting event I can get my hands on. I don't have time to be choosy or downgrade one sport over another.
Mick

I agree, two thumbs up for sport, anything and everything is on my agenda and if it's live, it's even better altho live sport here in cairns is hard to come by.
I certainly have a soft spot for AFL though, the more sport the better, couch potato status is getting worse with the introduction of pay TV into my house late last year.
Finally, go sport! Sport was invented so it gave beer drinkers an excuse on a saturday and sunday.
Cheers
Drew

thedeckie
03-03-2005, 02:54 PM
Yellahunter,
To answer your question,has AFL taken off in Qld,we have actually won 2 grand finals with the mighty Brisbane Lions,and AFL is growing BIG TIME!!!! I personally like to follow the local league (Norths,Souths,Easts,Wests,Wynnum Manly,Souths) for all those who can remember lining up on a Sunday to get into the local league,before all the big names basically stole the supporters from the local clubs.I will basically watch any sport when I have the time.

The Deckie
Paul

2DKnBJ
03-03-2005, 04:25 PM
Gotta agree with Mick SPORT SPORT SPORT.League is my pick Penrith supporter for 36 yrs GO PANTHERS.I reckon Drew hit it on the head.Nothing like having a beer or ten while watching any sport
Dazza

zedjack33
04-03-2005, 04:18 AM
Gotta agree with Mick #SPORT SPORT SPORT.League is my pick Penrith supporter for 36 yrs GO PANTHERS.I reckon Drew hit it on the head.Nothing like having a beer or ten while watching any sport #
# # #Dazza

True, true , true. mmmmmmmmmmmmm BEEEEEEER
[smiley=jester.gif] [smiley=jester.gif] [smiley=jester.gif]