PDA

View Full Version : How easy it is

adriancorrea
01-03-2005, 04:36 PM
Hi all
Some of you might have seen on the news about the boat that capsized in moreton bay today.
Well I was in it, it all happened so quick.
We were in a 15ft centre console and were on our way back to the boat ramp when it happened.
1 Wave on the side and the wind caught the canopy and the rest is history.
Luckly we are all ok, bit sorry and sore but ok.
The epirp was caught underneath the boat and it took us just over an hour to get it out, and an hour to get rescued.
4 boats went passed close to bribie and didnt see us, niether did the 2 planes that went overhead.
What a lovely sight that helicopter was after two hour in the water bobing around, they then lifted us up and took us to the water police near the wyte island boat ramp.
We managed to get the boat back, what a mess VRM bribie towed it back for us upside down into the passage and with some help from passes by we turned it over and then VRM lent us a pump to pump the water out and then towed it to a boat ramp for us.
What started out as a simple fishing trip turned into an eventfull day.
We caught no fish and lost all of our gear but atleast we are all ok.

Tight Lines
Adrian

Lucky_Phill
01-03-2005, 04:43 PM
I did see you on the tele, Adrian.

Was just asking the fellas in Live Chat if they had.

Well, at least you are all OK, and better for the experience.

Cheers Phill

NeilD
01-03-2005, 04:45 PM
Glad to see you made it all back in one piece. Too bad about the gear.
What do you put flipping it down to? What sort of boat was it?
Pretty frightening to think you can end up in the drink for a couple of hours so easily.

Neil

propdinger
01-03-2005, 04:48 PM
not good to hear mate glad your ok

jeff

mackmauler
01-03-2005, 04:49 PM
Adrian, good to see you made it back, thats no good at all!

we fed the sharks there last wk longtails to 20 kg taken like jellybeans, no place to be in the water at the moment.

cheers rob

dasher
01-03-2005, 05:01 PM
Really glad you guys are OK. Thank god for epirbs.

nisrol
01-03-2005, 05:13 PM
snappyone
not a good expirience , but makes you more aware of the dangers out there !

adriancorrea
01-03-2005, 05:15 PM
Horse put it down to a wave on the side which tilted us and then the wind caught the canopy and tiped us right over pretty easy.
We were in a 15ft centre console tinnie.
Phil, jeff and dasher, yeh all ok and definately an experience.
Rob that was on my mind the whole time we were in the water,
Lucky you fed them good last week LOL
we had just finished chasing longtails about in that area but couldnt land any so set off for the passage to try and catch a feed of something before we went home.
bayrage>nisrol sure does open up your eyes. Im buying an epirb for my boat even though I dont go outside in mine.
We are all stunned at how easy it happened.

Tight Lines
Adrian

bignick
01-03-2005, 05:21 PM
At least everyone came back in 1 piece; that's the main thing. Fishing gear and all that can be easily replaced, whereas a human life cannot. This should serve as a timely reminder to ALL boat owners/skippers to never underestimate the power of the weather or overestimate the capabilities of their craft and/or crew. It must also show the importance of having ALL safety gear (communication devices included) in date, in good working order and easily accessable in an emergency. Insurance is also a must for boat owners as this will not only replace lost boats and gear, but also offer some peace of mind to their families and to that of any potential crew. It can all go pearshaped in a heartbeat and that is not the time to be considering these things that should already have been taken care of.

Cheers,
NICK.

Dug
01-03-2005, 05:23 PM
I heard it on the radio while driving and wondered if it was one of us.

Glad you are OK. stay safe

Sportfish_5
01-03-2005, 05:37 PM
Whereabouts did you go in Adrian - the shipping channels ?

Glad everyone was OK

Cheers

Greg

SeaSaw
01-03-2005, 05:53 PM
Scary situation to be in, floating in the water waiting for help. Glad to hear you are all OK.

Mark

Fishinmishin
01-03-2005, 09:31 PM
Not good :'(. At least alls safe now.

Dignity
02-03-2005, 03:36 AM
Glad to see you all came out of it. Hope it hasn't put a damper on your fishing. Saw the article on telly and the VMR said that although you didn't need an epirb for that area it was what made the difference. Same thing happened to a mate of mine a few years back and he has sworn off biminis since.

Sam

bugman
02-03-2005, 04:03 AM
Shit Adrian,

Glad to see you're back in one piece. Hope it doesn't dampen your enthusiasm for the water. There's no real feeling like losing a boat to the water - at least I wasn't in mine at the time.

Brett

agnes_jack
02-03-2005, 04:58 AM
Adrian
Theres easier ways to make the headlines mate 8)
Glad to hear that no one was hurt too badly.
Thats a long time to be floating about in the water, damn scary stuff.
Ya got me thinking about the position of my EPIRB, and how hard it may be to access it if the boat went bum up. It can all happen so quickly.
Glad it's all good news......Regards, Tony :o :o :o

DR
02-03-2005, 05:05 AM
:(Adrian, good to hear everyones ok.

rando
02-03-2005, 06:31 AM
WOW!! , that is scary. Makes you think about the value of wearing a PFD if you can go over in the blink of an eye.Glad everyone is OK.
Regards
Rando

cooky
02-03-2005, 06:47 AM
Makes you think about the value of wearing a PFD if you can go over in the blink of an eye

this has been debated at length on this site before so I won't go into it, but it's all good in hindsight - I'm pretty sure they won't be wearing PFDs around in future - I know I wouldn't. There's risks you take in any sport / hobby. They and others might just think about where the PFDs (and EPRIB) are located in the event you need them with the boat upside down.

It's like saying "makes you think about the value of wearing your scuba diving gear at all times"

"maybe I should install a liferaft in my tinny in case that happens to me"

Barrymundi
02-03-2005, 07:02 AM
Glad you are all well.

When I fish, on my boat or out on other boats I carry personal EPIRB in my pocket. Cost about $200, hope I never need it. At night I also carry a torch with a strob light.

Picked this idea about after completing the Coastal Survival Coarse they run for the yachties competing in the Sydney to Hobart

Al

MulletMan
02-03-2005, 09:57 AM
Give me a dollar for every Boatie who is unable to access his emergency equipment at an instants notice and I will be a wealthy man.

ken4159
02-03-2005, 10:08 AM
mines just been relocated

Touchy - R.I.P.
02-03-2005, 10:24 AM
Adrian,I too seen you "star"on the telly,fair put me orf my tea seeing you in that condition :P :P ;D ;D,very pleased to see all of you had no bits missing & safely back on terra firma(the more firmer the less terra eh!! ::)) & all that was lost was the gear. Cheers Touchy.><> ><> ><>.

adriancorrea
02-03-2005, 11:33 AM
Thanks guys
Firstly Id like to give a big thanks too the boys from QLD Rescue and to the VMR, Thanks guys you guys do a wonderfull job. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
I know that you guys are the last thing we want to see out in the water, but sure want to see you in a hurry when things turn to shit thanks for your efforts.
I dont know about the life jacket thing but as I got caught under the boat Im glad I wasnt wearing one.
Greg we went in about 2-3kms out of the passage.
I too is having a look at where my safety gear is in the boat and making it alot easier to access in case of an emergency.
About dampening #my enthusiasm for the water, I have been asked that question from alot of people since tha accident and they all get the same answer HELL NO
Its just like driving a car, do you not get in a car if you have an accident.
So if anyone is going fishing this weekend and needs a deckie that hasnt got any gear give me a buzz lol.
It all happened so quickly we had no chance to grab any thing, all the emergency gear was trapped under the boat
Al I'll be looking into one of those personal epirbs, well worth the money, could of been home one hour earlier lol.
Dug thanks for the email mate and so far so good, but thanks for the advise.
Jack I would have prefered not to be in the headlines not for that reason anyway.
I dont know if to call my new ausfish shirt lucky or unlucky?
That was my first time wearing it and caught no fish and turned over (unlucky) but then and again Im here to tell the story (lucky) just kidding, shirt feels good steve even when soaked :D ;)
Once again thanks to everyone for the well wishes, very sore today and wish I had of got the number plate of that truck that hit me. ::)

Tight Lines
Adrian

basserman
02-03-2005, 03:20 PM
i dout anyone could grab their safty gear no matter the position when things like this happen as fast as they do!
in my boat i have a safty grab bag that has a strobe flares vsheet ect in it and atteched to that is my epirb but once again if something like this happend to me i have no dout that i too would need to have a dive under the boat to get it ;D
but this just goes for what myself and people like kerry keep saying
'how can anyone put the cost of safty equipment over anything else!' ;)

webby
02-03-2005, 03:45 PM
Hi Mate, now i no it was you, you wont have to reply to my Pm :-X.
Glad to hear you,ve got both feet on dry land again.
Looks like atrip is in order now.
Talk to ya soon.
regards

Vickypoint
02-03-2005, 03:53 PM
Those small EPIRPS that you can wear at all times when in the boat are like gold if things turn to S***
It,s a very big bay when you are floating in it.

Brejen
02-03-2005, 04:41 PM
Glad to hear that you and your mates are all safe.Also saw that two others were rescued out from Cairns at the same time. They to were fine as well. Haven't heard if they were from here and if they were i wish them all the best as well. Adrian once again glad to hear that you've come thru all this relatively unscaved and are safe and well.
Stay safe

Brett

adriancorrea
02-03-2005, 05:08 PM
flmath your not wrong its a big bay out there, even bigger when your bobbing around.
also glad that the boys from cairns are ok aswell.
They were actually saved on sunday night around about 11pm.
Webby sent you a reply before checking on here again.
Shannon I know what you mean but not hiding them in the bow would help a little bit towards getting to them faster.

Tight Lines
Adrian

el_carpo
02-03-2005, 11:25 PM
Glad you're safe! That was one of the scarier stories I've read in a while.

MulletMan
03-03-2005, 05:39 AM
The answer is to spend a few bucks and get one of the latest and greatest Safety Grab Bags that are available at any of the better Marine Outlets. You don't need to plan to be paddling around for a week or more, just the basics to keep you alive till the cavalry gets there! They carry all the stuff you need if it comes to tippies-overs that usually occur when you are not ready for it! Lifejackets are always a problem because of their bulk but why not lash out on a few of the inflatable ones (not the cheapies) and then have them in the bag as well. Last but not least is to place the bag so it wll float free when you take to swimming unexpectadly! They are quite small and compact and can easily be placed on the boat somewhere where they will float when worst comes to worst. I reckon with AUSFISH's pull and interest and safety, Steve could come up with a "buyable" bag for all the Boaties who are serious about their operation. I might sniff about the local dealers and see what I can do price wise and let you guys know.

Jeremy
03-03-2005, 06:20 AM
so where would TheCommodore suggest the safety grab bag be put in the boat? I doubt there is anywhere you could put it where it would "float free when you take to swimming unexpectedly". When the boat is upside down, the only place they'll be floating is under the hull. If something happens unexpectedly, you ain't gunna have time to grab it either. Care to elaborate?

Jeremy

MulletMan
03-03-2005, 09:33 AM
The Commodore would suggest Jeremy that it doesn't matter a stuff where you put it as every boat is different but if you wish to be a safe and responsible Boatie you just have to find somewhere because what is the alternative? I mean, jam everything under the seats, in lockers where it has already been proven it is inaccessable or just contend with having it in the way but knowing that you and your passengers have a high degree of protection by its presence. If you look about in the dealers, there are some very good ones available that when combined with the inflatable vests, an EPIRB pocket and a "Boxit" Mobile Waterproof Phone Holder, mirror, V-Sheet and a couple of other odds and ends takes up quite a small area. I did see one guy at Vicky Point who had a length of rope attached to his with a small float on the end of it that (theoretically) went to the surface and (hopefully) allowed him to jerk the whole kit out of it's hiding place.

Jeremy
03-03-2005, 09:57 AM
Last but not least is to place the bag so it wll float free when you take to swimming unexpectadly!

Point is, there ain't no place in ANY boat where it will simply float free of the vessell. If it comes free, it will be bobbing around on the floor of your upturned rig.

Things just aren't as simple as some people would make believe!

Jeremy

PS. Does 'TheCommodore' have a name, or are you choosing to remain anonymous?

Fisher_Boats
03-03-2005, 10:04 AM
Good to hear you guys didn't get hurt.

I think it would be nice to know that you have a little sealed pack of goodies in the boat that may save your life. ;)
I'm sure you would work out how to get hold of them if you had to.
Having them in the boat in a sealed pac would be a step in the right direction.
Cheers
Col

basserman
03-03-2005, 12:42 PM
i have my safty grab bag on the starbourd side in the side pocket behind the driver

as i said before i dout there is any where in a boat that you could have this when things happen this quick but haveing them in a area that is easyer to get to would help
;D

Outsider
03-03-2005, 12:58 PM
And not sure if having a "pack" with all the safety goodies in it that can float free in the case of a rollover is such a great idea either....wind and current would pretty quickly separate you and your "pack" - at least the "pack" would be rescued - not so good for you...

I'm sure someone will come up with an answer - might be some cash to be made if it works! I too will be paying close attention to the location of my gear next time I'm in the boat..

subzero
03-03-2005, 01:19 PM
Normally in an overturned hull, anything towards the rear of the boat will be relatively accessable. The wisdom lies in it being IN THE SAME PLACE as you always keep it so that you and your passengers can locate it in the dark, that it be in an area towards the open part of the boat so if you survive any roll over, hopefully one of the people on your vessel will be a good swimer and be able to duck under and grab it. The others should cling to the upturned hull wherever possible.... as a Skipper your responsibility is to all the persons on your vessel to have a safety briefing... if it is on the stern of your vessel you should point out to your deckies, "if we have a problem, all the stuff you need is in the grab bag, grab it if you can", you may be unconcious or dead, they need to know how to survive, you are the EXPERIENCED Skipper responsible for those on your vessel... interestingly enough, this is only one of three "Comon" REAL emergencys,
ONE overturning, little time to plan, if you knew the wave was coming you more than likely would not have ended up in the drink as you would have turned into it
TWO Sinking, frequently have a reasonable amount of time to act...
THREE. Fire. Probably from seconds to less than a minute, if it explodes then I guess you dont need a grab bag....
The last 2 scenarios you would have time to grab your grab bag if placed towards the rear of the open vessel, whats better is they are also supposed to float... (havent tried it).... Basserman, you have the right idea [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Yep the Commodore does have a name, it's Ian... a highly skilled person on and off the water, a little bit abrasive at times because he is the one who will normally get called out in the middle of the week during the day and the middle of the night to rescue people who can SOMETIMES do stupid things.... as a consequence he let his buissiness run down to nothing, and put his family second for over 7 years in favour of the boating public as hje beleive he could make a difference.... a finer man I have never met... Thank you for being the Commodore of VMR Victoria Point... I think he has every right to get a little edgy with those people who continualy like to downplay the role of safety on vessels,..what is worse is the very same people take their friends, children and family boating with little or no regards to doing it the right way because it will never happen to them... this is the second time in 3 months that Ausfish members have suffered the rogue waves and winds and overturned.... all were extremely experienced and skilled and survived by good planing and spending a $ on safety....

Pleased you and your mates are ok Snappyone ;D thankfully you had an epirb [smiley=scholar.gif]
Regards Lloyd Finn

adriancorrea
03-03-2005, 02:05 PM
Lloyd it was the epirb that saved our lives.
Im looking into putting a small pack like the commodore speaks of on the outside of my cabin, maybe on the front of the cabin, I have a 14ft half cabin and also having the said pack tied to the boat.
Just a little pocket made of fibreglass attached to the outside of the cabin where the pack can slip into it.
And im also considering buying one of those personal epirbs and having it on me at all times, Scared the crap out of me the other day.

Tight Lines
Adrian

subzero
03-03-2005, 02:29 PM
Good on ya Adrian, like I was saying you blokes are all extremely experienced and skilled boaties and fisherman, and I would speculate in relatively good health... thats the diffrence between those who survive and those who dont.... older gentleman, younger kids, and things might have been different even over a shorter period such as 4 hours... over night, the story might have been sadly different... people dont realise untill it happens to them the importance of adequate equipment, a prime example is childrens life jackets that are not desighned for their weight or "Bodymass"... I could not think of anything worse than spending even a few hours in the drink, dozing off and looking back at your kid who has fallen asleep and slipped out of his ill fitting lifejacket and dissapeared, or because of the childs enlarged head, the lifejacket has tipped him over face down AS THEY DO, when people not desighned for them are placed into them by the people who they love and trust most.... sorry to turn this in to an educational thing... but it's at times like these when we can hold people up like yourselves who are known to be switched on and doing it right, some others WILL realise that if it can happen to you, it can happen to them... one day Snappyone, someone may stick up a post in here and say, " when I read about the shit hitting the fan with you blokes, I decided I would do this or that, and it saved mine or someone elses life as a result", I look forward to reading about it.... ;D
All the best to you and yours
Cheers Lloyd

subzero
03-03-2005, 02:36 PM
I just re-read my post, when I refer to children in lifejackets I am reffering to children being placed in ADULT likejackets instead of ones appropriate to their size... an adult lifejacet will usualy turn a child over face down in the water [smiley=bigcry.gif]

basserman
03-03-2005, 03:35 PM
Lloyd tottaly agree with the life jackets
i for one got rid of all my bricks for the proper vest type jackets for outside including my 2 1/2 year old son who has one of them proper infants jackets
i would be more than happy to see the brick type pfd1 taken off the market as they are next to useless
i belive you did some pool test with them and found they started to sink or was it some one else???

as for epirbs i can tell you how good they are after a lost boat two years ago here at port
boat tryed to drive off the anchor and it got caught or wraped in the motor next wave that came along just sucked the bow under the water well all three persons got out with life jackets and i belive two flares no epirb
vmr port Mac crown rescue went out to search alond with choppers couldn't find them that afternoon or into the night when the search was called off to resume the next day (1st of jan the poor buggers) next moring nothing till that afternoon when they were sighted off croudy heads (long way south) so they had a nice 24hour in the water where if they had a epirb would of been only a few at max!

adriancorrea
03-03-2005, 03:55 PM
Basserman those brick life jackets are pretty akward to wear but we were pretty happy too have them even though we had the boat to rest on.
But I agree the shoul be banned and one should have the vest type ones.
I too have a proper kiddies one for my four year old bought to match his size and will be upgrading it as he grows out of it.

Tight Lines
Adrian

subzero
03-03-2005, 04:25 PM
I think that the brick type jackets that I think that you are reffering to, it is more than likely a fitting or size issue. I dont know about any tests in a swimming pool apart from if you had to put them on in the dark, in the cold, frightened or injured.... not easy to do really unless you have practiced it a few times... all jackets will deteriorate over time and loose their bouyancy, particualy if stored in damp, wet places... in all cases any lifejackets are better than nothing EXCEPT when you place a child in an adult one... Basserman, scary stuff spending a night in the water, makes my bowels rumble just thinking about it, yep, with the epirb, wether it be the 121.5/243 or the 406, the likelyhood of it not being picked up in Australian LOCAL waters is less than 1 hour.. pretty good really for mine.... An interesting aside, Australia is responsible for 1/9th of the entire globe for Search and Rescue, bloody big area :o

Cheech
03-03-2005, 04:26 PM
Adrian, you have changed my thoughts on location. Have moved my safety equipment to a grab bag that I will keep on the bunk infront of the helm.

Glad to hear it all worked out. I would have been shitting about sharks.

Be in contact soon.

Cheech

Burley_Boy
03-03-2005, 05:47 PM
Ok I'll be repositioning my Epirb.

Maybe I should have a grab bag fitted to the hull :-X

DICER
04-03-2005, 03:49 AM
glad to hear you're safe Snappyone - and that you were able to at least salvage something, and I guess others are now more prepared as well.

DICER

MulletMan
04-03-2005, 07:31 AM
The big winners of this post are those who have decided to improve the location of their essential -must-have emergency equipment on their boats. If only one life is saved then it is worth any flak encountered. I had a friend once who was a mad glider pilot and for many years always wore a sit-on-one-shot type parachute. He cursed ands swore about the inconvenience of it year after year and finally decided it just took up too much of his very limited room - so he left it behind. His widow I believe is managing quite OK on her pension after he drilled a quite spectacular hole into the paddock following a structural failure of the glider's wing! As they say, Murphy has a reputation for arriving at the most inconvenient time and usually when we believe we are bullet proof on the day!

whiteman
04-03-2005, 07:48 AM
My grab bag is a great foot rest in front of my seat. It's just a sports bag which contains the life-jackets and other essentials. It's possible it could get caught in a roll over but it should be relatively easy to find in this case.

I don't store any lifejackets in hold areas so I make sure this bag has enough jackets of the correct size for all on board before going out.