PDA

View Full Version : Who do I contact? Pontoon access Manly & Cleve

Jason173
02-03-2005, 09:28 AM
I am taking my parents out to Tangalooma this Saturday on a 5.3 metre half cabin and as they are getting older they would be better suited to climbing aboard via a pontoon rather than climbing up the back of the boat. Who do I contact for access to the Pontoon next to the VMR at Manly and also Cleveland ???

SeaHunt
02-03-2005, 09:48 AM
Don't know about those two. Jason.
But I put in at Kedron Brook near Nudgee Beach where there is a good pontoon beside a good ramp.
Sure it will cost you $2 to get over the bridge , but you might save that much on boat petrol because it is closer to Tangas. 33 k , I measured it Saturday.
Watch the weather (wind).

MulletMan
02-03-2005, 09:52 AM
I guess I might start a furore with some of the members here re the following suggestion but if the parents are a little old and in need of creature comforts, I would really suggest a 5.3 metre half cabin all the way to Tangalooma and back is probably not the wisest of decisions to take! That patch of water is capable of some serious seas and weather and a maximum wind to my way of thinking would be an absoluite fifteen knots from any direction. Even then it would not be comfortable with seas around the one metre mark. The oldies could take a fair old beating over such a long and open-water trip. Why not launch at the public jetty at the NORTHERN Victoria Point boat ramp where they can easily get into the boat and then show them some of the great spots about the southern islands - even down to the Pin if you know the way.
If you are still determined to use Cleveland then call VMR Raby Bay and see if they will let you use the rescue jetty (Keith Williams on 0412 266 134). I suspect he will give you the same advice! Manly would certainly be a litle closer but I still have some concerns about the planned voyage in a small boat with the folks! Your call I guess!

Jason173
02-03-2005, 10:23 AM
Thanks SeaHunt I'll keep that in mind and Commodore I appreciate your comments but I said old not crippled. My father comes fishing with me regularly but would prefer easier access. He still works a chippy so he's not ready for cotton wool just yet. My mother cleans houses for a living so there both active, just tryin to make it easier for them.

hicksy
02-03-2005, 03:16 PM
Jason,
Both the pontoons at Manly and Cleveland can only be accessed by members of the different boat clubs. Redlands Boat club and moreton bay boat club I think. There is a decent boat ramp at comslie that has a pontoon on it all the way out. Might help???????????

Sportfish_5
02-03-2005, 04:44 PM
Mate - You can leave from Comslie or Nudgee as these are both public ramps with pontoons.

Cheers

Greg

Capt_FishMan
02-03-2005, 09:30 PM
The southern boat ramp in Manly Harbour, next to the RQYS now has a nice new pontoon and its free to use for everybody.

http://www.portbris.com.au/boatharbours/manly/improvements/boat_ramp.asp

Jason173
03-03-2005, 07:06 AM
Thanks I didn't know there was a ramp with a pontoon at the southern end.

Jason173
04-03-2005, 09:17 AM
To answer part of my own question the pontoon at Raby Bay is managed by Redland Boat Club
Clubhouse 3821 0311
Secretary 33663457
::)