PDA

View Full Version : News Release - New rules for Spanish mackerel

qldfisheries
03-03-2005, 07:20 AM
http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/news/NewsReleases/17048.html

The information contained in this document is distributed by the Queensland Government for information purposes only. All reasonable steps have been made to ensure the information is accurate at the time of publication. For more information visit the DPI&F Fishweb site at http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb/

Lucky_Phill
03-03-2005, 06:18 PM
1 March 2005

New rules for Spanish mackerel catches
New regulations for recreational fishers designed to stop the illegal sale of Spanish mackerel come into effect today (March 1).

Under the new regulation which has been introduced by the Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries (DPI&F), recreational fishers must now remove the pectoral fin of any Spanish mackerel in their possession.

DPI&F Fisheries Resources Manager Mark Elmer said the legislation applied to all recreational fishers including people conducting commercial fishing tours and crew members of those tours.

“Recreational fishers must not possess, on board a boat, a dead Spanish mackerel unless a pectoral fin has been removed,” Mr Elmer said.

“This provision is intended to make it easier for recreational and commercial catches to be identified.”

Mr Elmer said the legislation was brought in following the introduction of new management arrangements in the Queensland East Coast Spanish Mackerel fishery during the past two years.

“In December 2003, new arrangements that were introduced included limiting the number of commercial fishing licences able to access the Spanish mackerel fishery and a reduction in the recreational possession limit for Spanish mackerel from 10 fish to three,” Mr Elmer said.

“Last year, a total allowable commercial catch came into effect in the commercial fishery and individual transferable quotas were allocated to licence holders based on past history in the fishery.

“These changes raised concerns about the potential for black-market trade in recreationally caught fish which could compromise the integrity of the commercial quota.

“The new legislation, which takes effect from today, was passed in August 2004 requiring recreationally caught Spanish mackerel be fin-clipped to deter black-marketing of these fish. The legislation continues to allow recreational fishers to fillet Spanish mackerel at sea.”

For more information on Spanish mackerel and other fishing regulations, visit DPI&F Fishweb or phone the Call Centre on 13 25 23.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Further information:
Kirsten Phillips A/Principal Communication Officer Ph: +61 7 3224 7757
Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries Media Unit
GPO Box 46 Brisbane Qld 4001. Fax +61 7 3239 0860
DPI&F Call Centre 8am-6pm weekdays on local call 13 25 23

nonibbles
04-03-2005, 09:44 AM
“Recreational fishers must not possess, on board a boat, a dead Spanish mackerel unless a pectoral fin has been removed,” Mr Elmer said.

Surely this only applies back at the boat ramp or if/when illegal sales are interrupted. It is common practice to catch, spike and ice immediately, then gill, gut and cut on the way home. If an inspector visits me in the middle of a bite and tries to fine me I may get a bit upset. Of course, I would say yes sir and immediately cut the fins but to be able to charge me at any time a dead fish is found on my boat with fins attached would be a bit overzealous. Thankfully there are no overzealous fisheries officers out there, ay? ;)

baldyhead
04-03-2005, 03:35 PM
You don't wanna bet yuh life on that M8!!!!!! ::)

clutter
04-03-2005, 06:28 PM
Gee Nibbles, the last time I cut a fin it took a couple of seconds. What's the problem with that???
Storm in a tea cup.

Clutter