PDA

View Full Version : QLD -V- N.T. BARRA

Fisheasy
04-03-2005, 06:05 AM
Love to throw this one in as it's been the topic of a few conversations of late.

Do you think the N.T. is going to lose tourists to Queensland's barramundi impoundments? (less travel, less expensive, still have the opportunity to catch big fish?). #

i.e. #Why travel to the N.T. (3 days drive from Brisbane) when you can catch barra at Monduran/Awoonga....?

Would like to hear your views .

Glind
04-03-2005, 06:23 AM
I think so. We have completed this scenario recently. Usually we are off to far NQ or the Territory (fav spot) and went to Awoonga for a change. As you have said, not as far to go, not the expense etc BUT...........
I think we will be going back to the Territory. Why? The wilds of it all. And that is part of the adventure, crocs, magpie geese, big salt water barra, big threadies, the heat, the dust and the whole atmosphere of such a large trip.
These trips to NT are a big exercise and while the impoundments are graet, nothing beats the NT for that style of holiday.
So for the short term, it will effect the NT numbers, but for how long, who knows.
Tim

Leo_N.
04-03-2005, 07:02 AM
One of the big thrills for me is not knowing what you are going to catch. Also I had a mate recently come back from the NT and reckons he almost got sick of catching barras.

luigi
04-03-2005, 05:29 PM
In my book impoundment fishing sure beats not fishing at all but it's like a poor country cousin to fishing in the wild. As far as barra fishing in creeks & rivers is concerned, the Northern Territory has it all over the Queensland experience due to their enlightened laws banning netting & bag limits etc.

Unless Queensland Fisheries get their act together & protect what's left of our barra, NT fishing tourism will continue to outgrow Qld.

Fisheasy
05-03-2005, 06:05 AM
Interesting comments. The average fisho i have spoken to who can't take (afford) that "once in a lifetime" holiday to the northern territory has found the impoundment fishing very attractive due to affordability and accessibility.
Fishwise, you can travel to either and not catch them :D
Sure you may not have crocs, mozzies and the heat to contend in the North but metre long barra pull hard whether they're in the salt or fresh...
There are still nets in the N.T. too.....
Thanks for the feedback. ;D

devocean
05-03-2005, 06:27 AM
Impoundment fishing is harder tha most people think because you dont have tides to no where the fish will be. I think a people will still tend to head up north because of the variety of fishing available. Also as NT gets more modern packages are beginning to come through which are very attractive

nonibbles
05-03-2005, 06:50 AM
Nope, no fish in NQ. Go to the territory. Don't bother coming here, they're all mine ;D