PDA

View Full Version : Fish friendly Sunscreen ?

mjc85
04-03-2005, 06:38 PM
Looking for some sunscreen that will not stop the fish biting if i don't wash my hands properly ?

Mitch

raefpud
04-03-2005, 11:25 PM
keep dreaming dude - there is a product called 'yum' hand balm - its kind of like a special scent they put in soft plastics, mixed in with a hand balm, its supposed to mask any scent of motor oil, sunscreen, tobbaco etc that may get on ur hands, it may only be available in USA, i'm not sure.

Tony_N
05-03-2005, 01:48 AM
If you use a roll-on sunscreen, the stuff never touches your hands/bait

CHRIS_aka_GWH
05-03-2005, 02:03 AM
the stuff i use is called Colombia - it has long sleeves ;D

Seriously I do let the clothes do most of the work.

I use Bannana Boat & Faulding's Zinc Cream both stay on a serious amount of time.

I put it on before leaving home (experts say sunscreen should be applied half an hour before exposure so it can soak in) - i then wash my hands in truck wash detergent, then in normal soap & water.

nonibbles
05-03-2005, 06:57 AM
Don't mention bananas!
I wear a long sleeve, collared Kuta-Lines shirt, long pants(light cotton) some sun gloves, widebrimmed hat with flap to cover neck, sunnies. And sneakers covering the feet (its usually my feet that get the worst burnt when I forget to protect). Unless the fish have an aversion to the smell of my shoes, I can't blame the sunscreen.

bassintom
05-03-2005, 07:17 AM
i use WD-40 to cover any scent that may get on my bait.heck,i use WD-40 for everything,even spray it on my baits.

Dignity
05-03-2005, 07:25 AM
CHRIS_aka_GWH, I think that Banana Boat have a gel formulation (at least I think its BB as my wife buys the Sunscreen, I just use it) which doesn't seem to have any effect on the fish. It is also the only one I will put on my face as the others seem to leak into my eyes on hot sticky days.

Sam

Rebbasser
05-03-2005, 07:27 AM
He ain't kidding, fellas. He really does use WD-40.

mjc, I don't know if you can get this there, but I use some stuff called Bullfrog that is SPF36, is waterproof and comes in a pump spray bottle so you never get it on your hands. It works extremely well. This subject has become real important to me-I still have a week to go before I get the stitches out after I had a basal cell carcinoma removed from my shoulder. Found out today they got it all, but wear that sunscreen-beats getting carved on!

SeaHunt
05-03-2005, 08:30 AM
Wash your hands in the burley bucket. Make sure you squish up a few pilchards (older the better) and and rub it oll over your hands , rinse off with tuna oil. ::)

mjc85
05-03-2005, 08:37 AM
Well at the moment, i just wash my hands with that soflty hand wash stuff about 3-4 times after applying sunscreen until they don't have any greasy feel or smell like sunscreen anymore. It works but is annoying

nonibbles
05-03-2005, 10:15 AM
Wash your hands in the burley bucket. Make sure you squish up a few pilchards (older the better) and and rub it oll over your hands , rinse off with tuna oil. #::)

Then go for a swim? ;D

eeww-worms
05-03-2005, 11:19 AM
I put on the sunscreen while still in the car..... then do a once over with mozzie repellent......

always carry "wet Ones"...... give my hands a quick wipe off.... then when I get into the actual fishing bit...I wash it in the sea/river/whatever..... and then squish them all over with whatever bait I am using. I stink to high heaven... but not of sunscreen [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

hicksy
05-03-2005, 03:20 PM
Pinch some disposable gloves the next time you go to the doctors. Keep in your boat and when you need to throw the sunscreen on it wont come in contact with your hands.

Dignity
05-03-2005, 04:32 PM
hicksy, 7 bucks for the nice colourful ones or 5 bucks for the cheaper ones (I'm talking of pakets of 100) from that huge retail hardware store is a lot cheaper than visiting the vet, oops the doctor or hospital.

I do use the disposable gloves before I don a pair of cotton gloves (u know the ones with the guey strips on them) before cleaning or filleting fish. Saves a lot of smell on the hands.

I personally have had very little trouble with sunscreen when it comes to offshore work - I spent many a week at North West Island when putting SS on as the preliminary to a good session of fishing. It has never really worried me for inshore fishing as I use clothing almost exclusively for protection. My main beef as I mentioned before was the eye irritation factor.

BTW, some time ago there was research into the factor that SS was a contributing factor to skin cancer, seems to have died off but interestingly all the sun spots I have had cut out are in areas where SS has been liberally applied over the years. I rarely apply SS to my arms or legs and these have been exposed to a lot of sun (I was in the building industry for a while) yet these areas have not had any skin cancers.

Sam