PDA

View Full Version : Shark Attack In Brisbane River At Ipswich

whynott
05-03-2005, 11:16 AM
Hi all,
On the front page of the Queensland Times (local paper in downtown Ipswich) today is a full page story of a guy that was attacked by a bull shark in the Brisbane River at Karalee.
He is O.K. but you have to wonder why anyone would go swimming there as there are so many sharks around in the river at the moment. ???
Maybe he is from out of town but there are warning signs there.
Graham.

dynamicspot
05-03-2005, 12:03 PM
I am not surprised to see that happen HOW MUCH WARNING DO THEY NEED signs up all over the place about the bull sharks i went for a dive out collages near the bridge and was going to check the bull sharks out, i was less than 10 minutes into the dive when a bull shark had a hold on my fin (FLIPPER) must have been about 4 ft and it shook the hell out of me but that was enough for me will never go in there again it the same as the bloke down burleigh the warning was out but he defied the warning and it cost him his life

greg

Dug
05-03-2005, 12:44 PM
It's called "the theory of natural selection" the stupid ones are supposed to die before breeding. Hopefully ;D

JB
05-03-2005, 01:05 PM
Bull sharks are vicious sons of bitches, territorial buggers too. Thats what makes them dangerous, they are like a well trained guard dog, thier home is not to be stepped into.

The problem we have is that the canals we build are the perfect homes for them, full of bait and most of the time murkey water.

Big_unit
05-03-2005, 01:40 PM
We have a few Sharks in Tin Can Bay ( same as everywhere else) but you still see Locals and Tourists swimming in or near the nav canal at Norman point. We have caught a couple of Bulls and Tigers ( 4 to 10 ft) right in front of the Yacht club not massive Sharks but capable of big time damage. Swimming around there isnt my cup o tea but I guess you gotta die from something.

Cheers
James

aussiebasser
05-03-2005, 02:33 PM
According to Channel 7 news he was at the Jindalee Boat Ramp and got bitten by a wasp and jumped into the water. The shark grabbed his head and he stuck his finger in it's mouth to get it off. They then interviewed a mum at Karalee.

whynott
05-03-2005, 02:59 PM
Sounds like some one has their facts wrong as channel 10 said it was at karalee.
Who knows, but there are bities in the brisbane river.
Cheers,
Graham.

dynamicspot
05-03-2005, 03:12 PM
the wasp bit him at jindalee and the shark got him at karana downs thats how i watched it on ch 7

basserman
05-03-2005, 03:25 PM
well this my suprise some but sharks are in almost all costal waters
but this ain't going to stop me from swimming
seen all types in the river systems down here
5+ foot bulls small tigers and even some not so small ones
biggest i have heard of was a 90kg hammer head caught by a jew fisherman up river in the hastings
only this week saw a small -1 foot hammer head sunning itself in the surface water
but i would think if this bloke got stung by a wasp and then bite by a shark then mybe he shouldn't of got out of his bed! thats what i call real bad luck :o

Derek Bullock
05-03-2005, 04:34 PM
IPSWICH TIMES

Shark bites man swimming in Brisbane River

By PETER FOLEY and DANIEL SANKEY
EAST Ipswich teenager Nathan Shaxson has his very own shark tale to tell after he was attacked by a bull shark in the Brisbane River.

Nathan said that on Saturday he was swimming with a friend near the boat ramp at Karalee when he was bitten by a shark on his head and finger.

The 18-year-old managed to fend off the shark after the unexpected attack. He said it never occurred to him that sharks were in the river.

University of Queensland professor Craig Franklin, who had studied Brisbane River bull sharks for the past four years, said he was not surprised to hear of a man being attacked.
Bull sharks were believed responsible for the deaths of two men in Gold Coast canals in recent years.

Professor Franklin said apart from their large head, hence their name, bull sharks were known for their sometimes aggressive nature.

Professor Franklin and PhD student Richard Pillans have caught bull sharks up to 1.5m long in the Brisbane River. The sharks can grow up to 3.5m.

Nathan said he went to the river on Saturday with his friend Wade. They were swimming near the boat ramp when his strange adventure started.

"Me and Wade were near the boat jetty just mucking around," Nathan said.

"I got bitten by a wasp so I ducked my head underwater to get rid of it. Then boom! He bit me.

"I was thinking it was my mate mucking around and then it was just shaking me and shaking me."

With his head under water, he blindly reached up to push away his attacker. His left index finger went into the shark's mouth, he said.

aussiebasser
05-03-2005, 05:31 PM
So, is there a Boat Jetty at Karalee???

Big_unit
05-03-2005, 05:31 PM
That boy oughta buy a lotto ticket.

chemmy
05-03-2005, 06:56 PM
i gonna grab my gear and go shark fishing down there ;D

NeMo84
05-03-2005, 09:58 PM
in my opinion he cant complain (not saying that he is), its like someone going up north and swimming in or camping by a river \ creek with crocs in it , you venture into their habitat and as far they're concerned you're fair game, it's not an air conditioned office building, to me it's "The Real World", and you can either not go in, or go in, but if something happens then you just gotta cop it sweet(not that you have any choice ;) )

mini696
06-03-2005, 04:15 AM
I saw him on the news. His comment was "I knew not to swim in there, but when a wasp stings your head you dont think about sharks".

Mick

DICER
06-03-2005, 04:59 AM
Definitely a Darwinian award nomination...but this guy is lucky, he's in one piece.

DICER

Big_Muddie
07-03-2005, 10:34 AM
Dale,

No "boat jetty" at Karalee (on the Riverside Estate), just a one lane concrete ramp.

whynott
07-03-2005, 04:01 PM
You don't need a boat.
You can cah the buggers of the bank of the river. :o
Cheers,
Graham.

aussiebasser
07-03-2005, 06:11 PM
Dale,

No "boat jetty" at Karalee (on the Riverside Estate), just a one lane concrete ramp.

So how did he dip his head in the water off the jetty to get rid of the wasp????????
Read the QT article the other day, and watched the 7 news. The story doesn't make sense to me.

Big_Muddie
08-03-2005, 03:59 AM
Dale,

None of makes sense to me either. I live about 400 metres from the Karalee ramp. Waterskiers galore down there over the weekends. I think it's an example of the less than accurate research that happens sometimes before news is delivered. That and confusion in an 18yo's mind asbout where he really was.

There are many private jettys - albeit small - along the stretch of river downstream from the Karalee ramp. One is not too far from the ramp - say about 800 metres - perhaps that was what he meant. But to call any of them "Karalee Jetty" is drawing a long bow.

dynamicspot
08-03-2005, 09:08 AM
big muddie did them crabs come for the river there i lived in bundamba all my life and am aware of crabs in the river there i and just moved up here(CALOUNDRA) 10 mths ago dont want your spots just wondering

dynamicspot
greg

Mick
08-03-2005, 10:15 AM
Signs arn't going to deter diddly squat. I don't think the guy is an idiot for swimming in the river. An idiot is someone that eats broken glass or steels a carton of VB out of the front yard of a housing commission home in Inala.

I think the media makes too much of a deal out of sharks attacks.

Sharks will always bite, humans will always swim...., just like the sky is blue and boobs are nice to look at.

subzero
08-03-2005, 03:20 PM
Mick, not all boobs, nowdays some blokes wear them too, the rest of your coments I can live with ;) ;D

Mick
10-03-2005, 05:52 AM
ahhhrrr...., grasshopper..., you speak truth with forked toung... ;)
(I have seen National Geographic mags..., yeeewwwwuk!)