PDA

View Full Version : What type of fish is this?

jugs
06-03-2005, 12:26 PM
We caught this out in the bay today. Can anyone identify it? Sort of looks like a striped sea perch/hussar, but didnt really have a yellow fin! It is 28cm long and yes it lived to enjoy another day!

philip_thomson
06-03-2005, 12:31 PM
it kinda looks like a small mouth nannygai.

Cheech
06-03-2005, 01:33 PM
Has that sort of a shape, but I didn't think they had those horizontal lines. Maybe they do when juvinile.

So where in the bay did you head? I did the good deed thing and took next door and there young one out to Morton. Probably created a new record on number of fish per keeper. 19 fish and only one that could come home. We caught Whiting, Grinners (of course) spangled emporer, moses perch, blue spot tuskfish, grassies, sand flatties, and something that looked like another sweetlip. Not sure what sort, but was probably the smallest fish I ever saw caught on a hook at about 50mm long (the fish, not the bait). Plus a puffer of some description.

Was surprised how choppy it was so early. Expected it after lunch but not at 8.30

Luckily flat enough to cruise normal speed out and back. Just a bit windy.

jugs
06-03-2005, 01:55 PM
We have consulted the bible (Grants) and it looks very much like a small mouth nannygai. The dark mark above the tail wasnt really noticeable, but he wasnt out of the water for long!
Cheech, we dropped our pots in at our fave secret spot, then out to Harry Atkinsons. There were about a dozen boats there. We caught LOTS of 20-33cm squire and grassies (always the way isnt it!) We ended up with 2 keepers. We then went for a swim right on low tide on the sandbank between Harries and the Rouse channel. Saw several large manta rays cruise past, many stingrays and a fish we at first thought could have been a large flathead, but as he came really close to us for a look, we decided he could have been a cod- too much depth in the body. That was pretty exciting! Pulled up pots with 3 LARGE sandies and headed for home at 3ish. All in all not the most productive day, but plenty for dinner!
We were surpirsed at how windy it was out early, quite disappointing that BOM got it wrong again!!

mackmauler
06-03-2005, 02:52 PM
not a very familiar background ;)

looks like a rat small mouth.

agnes_jack
07-03-2005, 04:38 AM
Closest thing I can find is the small mouth nanny.

Regards, Tony

Volvo
07-03-2005, 08:18 AM
Small mouthed nanny who's either Mom or Dad was keepin close comapny with a Husser :-[ ::)...
Cheers

slugo
07-03-2005, 11:59 PM
It's a redvenom very poisonous. be verry verry careful you don't touch this fish with a naked hand ; fingers ;or they will drop off in 48hrs :o good luck

just kidding

cheers

Fishin_Dan
08-03-2005, 07:15 AM
It's a redvenom very poisonous. be verry verry careful you don't touch this fish with a naked hand ; fingers ;or they will drop off in 48hrs :o good luck

Didn't Mono drop one of these onto one of his legs once....?

;D ;D ;D

Oh wait.... The comps over.... :P

Daintreeboy
08-03-2005, 10:26 AM
I'm calling it for a small mouth also. Although some people on this board class that as a Large mouth due to the area they live in (somewhere down south). Interesting Fishweb class it small mouth but also call it a Crimson Sea Perch. They go on to explain the Large mouth is a Saddletail sea Perch (which I thought was a small mouth - from Grants from memory). I thought Grants called the large mouth a Scarlet Sea Perch.
Confusing....??
It's a Small Mouth Nannygai

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishguide/15846.html

You think they'd have a picture eh?

Cheers, Mark.

Dug
08-03-2005, 01:15 PM
We miss the usual background ;D ;D ;D

Jono_SS
10-03-2005, 04:59 PM
sorry to dig up an "old" post, but stumbled accross this picture that pretty well matched the photo from Jugs.

it's from a website called "Fishbase" which I use a lot to confirm fish ID's. IMHO it's a bit better than Grants, except you can't flick through the pages as easily. in other words, it definitely helps if you think you know what you are looking for and just want to confirm it. e.g. I looked up the scientific names given on the DPI&F Fishweb (posted by DaintreeBoy).

www.fishbase.org

cheers.

Jono

Jono_SS
10-03-2005, 05:08 PM
sorry, forgot to say, according to Fishbase, it was the small mouth nannygai (aka crimson sea perch)....

note the subtle difference between it and this one (large mouth nannygai, aka saddle-tail sea perch)...

clear as mud, right ;D

Daintreeboy
10-03-2005, 09:38 PM
err no I can't quite see the differences. Maybe the absence of a spike on the pelvic fin in the real life photo?
Are you sure you got it right with the ones you posted?
Cheers, Mark.