PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Prawning

Y-Not
12-03-2005, 08:47 AM
Ok, I know this will sound silly, But I have never tried prawning before and would like to give it a go.

So these basic questions spring to mind.

1/ Best part of tide
2/ Best time of day
3/ Sand or mud bottom
4/ Name of best masseur to fix my back after throwing that net!!!!! ;D ;D ;)
5/ just in case I do get any Cooking times (I assume like crabs is best done in good clean sea water)

Cheers

JB
12-03-2005, 10:15 AM
check nuggets saltwater fishing, there is an article on prawning. Should get u started, i always take a bak up plan with me, too much castnetting for no prawns will give u the sh*!s after awhile.

Nugget
12-03-2005, 11:13 AM
Small tides are best - when we have big tides like we have this week the prawns are dispersed - a lot of water between them.
Next week we have small tides - that should concentrate them and compact the schools.
I like low tide best - for the same reasons.
The basic life cycle is they congregate in the deep holes during the day and move up onto the banks at night - that's why you see the beam trawlers working the edge of the rivers at night and down the maiddle of the river in the mornings.
I rarely throw the net these days without a show on the sounder first.

Cooking - It's taken me a long time and a lot of eating to work this out - some dissagree but you won't change my opinion - I've cooked enough, eaten enough and talked to enough pros to have made up my mind on the best way to cook them.
Never cook your pawns in salt water - the shells stick to the body.
Best technique is to cook them in clean fresh water until the tail curls and touches the head then drop them in a very salty ice slurry - the shells will come off easy and they will taste great - the longer you leave them in the saltwater slurry, the saltier they will tast - after 2 hours they taste real good - my opinion!

Hope that helps.

Dave ><>

Y-Not
12-03-2005, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the heads up Dave. Very much appreciated. Means I will stick to the crabs this weekend. Look out muddies!!!!!!!!!!! 8)