PDA

View Full Version : bad rap for fishers

rando
10-03-2005, 11:08 AM
I saw an article in mondays Courier Mail re protection for sharks. Trevor Long the CEO of Seaworld Gold Coast was reported to have said depletion of sharks was a result of illegal shark fin fishing & RECREATIONAL FISHERS.
No mention of longliners, no mention of the governments shark netting/drum line program, I think Mr Long is no friend of the recreational fisher as I have heard him put the boot in on other occasions.I am going to contact Mr Long and express my opinion of his anti Recfish stance.
Cheers
Rando
PS wont achieve anything I know .

kc
10-03-2005, 11:24 AM
Maybe turn the heat up......like it is OK for him to put the boot into recreational fishers...so how does he feel about keeping dolphins in captivity? Does he think it is cruel to lock up seals in a "cell"? Is he convinced that his sharks, seals, dolhins dot't feel stressed by his zoo??

Such bloody hypocrits.

KC

Fisher_Boats
10-03-2005, 11:51 AM
...Or his bears that hurt themselves in his impoundments whilst living in a fake enviroment ::)

Col

rando
10-03-2005, 12:51 PM
I went on to the Seaworld web site, tried to send a comment adressed to him,but could not send it. Im still a ludite at computers. So I called him on the phone . He took my call but was unapologetic in his stance on rec fishers, and the lack of balance his statements espoused.Mr long further stated that to many recfishers the only good shark was a dead shark. Further that much the turtle and dugong population of Days Gutter and environs was suffering from prop strike etc. I Think he fails to realize the vast majority of Qld recfishers dont want to be tarred with the same brush as the redneck few.I think its time to turn up the heat on Mr Long 800,000 fishing Qlders voting note to visit Seaworld might see amore moderate position taken
Rando

dynamicspot
10-03-2005, 12:57 PM
hi guys ,yes real unfair on rec fishers they should turn up the heat on trawlers having worked on one i know the deal 80% of the catch is dead small fish sharks you name it its moastly dead maybe he should go on a trawler for a night just to se the damage these do to our oceans a rec fisher could not achive this in a life time and not only fish turtles rays and so on .As well as ripping the bottoms (seagrass) etc to smitherines

Greg

Big_Kev
10-03-2005, 02:26 PM
Thinking of all the media attention attributed to Sea World last year, With sharks dieing and being put down in a small and inadequate holding facility (and some being released back to the wild to save their sick necks), while awaiting the new CAPATALIST MONEY MAKING ATTRACTION to open. So that the thousands of paying suckers can come in to see sharks in a real life environment.(More BULLSHIT)
Yeah right. Purhaps Mr Long has a degree in WANKERISM.

Needmorerum
10-03-2005, 04:04 PM
I visited Seaworld in January. I know that this will be one place that I will not go back to.
It is definately the height of hypocracy, the ponds that the dolphins were in were an absolute disgrace.
Not to mention the ones that the seals were in, you couldn't even see the bottom.
There was more rubbish floating on the top than what was in the seaway.

It was really hard to explain to the kids why I ensure that they don't throw rubbish in the ocean while we're out fishing, especially when they say to me "Look Dad, coke cans don't really hurt the dolphins, there's heaps in the water here".

What an education. The sad thing is, the people that run these places, like this Mr Trevor Long, don't even look into their own backyard before criticising someone else.
I think he also needs to have a look at the noses of the sharks that they have in Shark Bay, there wasn't a shark in there that wasn't scarred on the nose from running into the walls.

Just my thoughts,
Corry

raefpud
10-03-2005, 07:47 PM
Maybe i could point a finger at someone who isnt doing us any favours - can anyone guess before i say?

D2
11-03-2005, 03:38 AM
I have just had a look at seaworld.com.au and it is quite obviously a money making machine, nothing more, nothing less. #The CEO and his comments are not unusual for folks who have an absolute belief in their own correctness on how the world should be run (by them) - the problem is, the lesser lights in the real world, i.e. us are then targeted by others who listen to and believe what they are being told by these so called self proclaimed experts and educators. #I'm not bagging Mr Long, he can't help what he says - he is a product of his own enviroment. #Would he should do is talk to people in the real world. #As it has been suggested, go out on a trawler for one night. #It's just a shame that he has his unrelenting point/s of view.

I visited Seaworld about 11-12 years ago when my kids were younger and made a choice at that time never to return to the place. #Reason - I don't like zoos. #

My brother has also been to Seaworld (for sake of his kids) and has vowed not to go back. #He questions why they need live animals at all. #We live in the age of ever improving technology. #If Seaworld really wanted to educate the public about the marine enviroment - recorded or live images could be shown. #There is absolutely no need for animals to be kept in captivity for educational reasons. #Mr brother's expertise, degree in enviromental science (+ a couple of others) and is the principal of an eviromental science study centre (includes the marine enviroment) which is operated by the NSW Dept of Education. # #Poor bugger this brother of mine - he thinks he is a greenie, likes his fishing though, from an 18' sea kayak, armed with a telescopic rod with bait caster attached.

Anyway have to go work now. #Mr Long can be sent an email at seaworld.

Have a nice day.

Fisheasy
11-03-2005, 05:58 AM
That's all we can do, send an email and not visit Seaworld.
Pretty bloody boring place anyway!!! ;D

Fisher_Boats
11-03-2005, 06:43 AM
Anyone got a direct email cotact for Mr Long???

basserman
11-03-2005, 07:24 AM
well i don't know about anyone else but i would like to know the hard facts about how many boats run into turtels and dugons and how many sharks are killed for no other reson than to say "i have caught a shark" by rec fishos then i would like to know how that compares to the pros and resurch people ???
reson i ask this is that i know i haven't and i don't know of anyone else that has run over any animal in thier boats or that go out every weekend catching big sharks
sure i know of people that have caught big sharks once in a while and i don't agree and i myself have caught smaller sharks myself for eating
nothing like Mr Long(line) is talking about :-/

dynamicspot
11-03-2005, 07:33 AM
Well he will be getting a email from me And yes i will not take my kids there i think we should hit him with a petition form rec fisherman if i can get the numbers i will forward my email addressand i will orginise it from there

dynamicspot
Greg

Volvo
11-03-2005, 10:52 AM
???Anyone have any idea how much Fish is taken out of the ocean to keep JUST SEAWORLD supplied with Fishfood in a Year??..AND!! as an atraction $$ wise i must add:)....
Someone oughta tell em about people chuckin stones who live in glass houses ey >:(..
Cheers

SeaHunt
11-03-2005, 11:31 AM
Yeah lets get up the Hypocrite, I have never hit a turtle or a dugong that I know of, and I think I would know. How many have been hit by the boats supplying that idiot with fish. #How many animals have died in their care at Seaworld?
Seaworld is about one thing, ...... making money.
Apart from the roller coaster ride ,I can see no difference between Seaworld and a circus where they keep animals in cages, poke em with sticks and make them do tricks. # #:P

Boxhead
11-03-2005, 01:44 PM
There is a Ausfish member named "Big Unit" (See "drumlining for sharks" in saltwater chat) who if asked nicely would be more than happy to go and beat the absolute shit out of Mr Long..... But remember - Ask nicely.... (Love ya work BU)lol ;D ;D [smiley=smash.gif] [smiley=smash.gif] [smiley=smash.gif]

Nath....

Fisheasy
12-03-2005, 02:56 AM
A letter I received from Trevor Long. He's apparently a recreational fishermen too, as noted in his second letter attached below.

At least he (or his assistant) took the time out to personally answer my letter.

He holds sharks to heart just as we hold our rights to be able to fish to heart.

In response to your e-mail received March 10 and my comments regarding recreational anglers and their impact on shark numbers, it was not my intention, nor did I single out any one group over another, either commercial, recreational or governments eg shark meshing for beach protection. However, whether you agree or not, recreational anglers have and do take a number of shark species which does impact on the overall number of sharks taken. Unfortunately, many small sharks are taken not as the targeted species but they are often killed to remove them from the hook. Many recreational anglers place higher value over the fishing gear than the sharks which they inadvertantly catch.

I am also a keen user of our waterways and marine environment and have spent many years operating boats in the Gulf of Carpentaria, from Cape York to Sydney. I am unaware of the area that you use for your recreational fishing and perhaps people in that area do the right thing towards all marine creatures. However, I can assure you that many anglers still consider the only good shark is a dead shark. It was not our aim to alienate any one group but to advise future users and anglers that we do not have an endless resource and that the sharks are extremely important within our marine eco system.

In relation to the number of sharks that Sea World has taken for Shark Bay; Sea World only removed sharks that were taken by a commercial shark fisherman under NSW fisheries licence and part of a quota system. These sharks, if still alive, are shot by the fisherman. Sea World came to a financial arrangement with the fisherman that if sharks were still alive and in reasonable condition we would try to save them. No shark was taken other than sharks which would normally have been killed. I am personally very proud of the decision to procure our sharks in this manner. You are correct in saying that some sharks died while in our care, however, our experienced veterinarians and curators did everything possible to save each shark which was returned to Sea World. Some sharks may have been hooked for up to 24 hours before being taken on board our boat.

I also enjoy eating fish, however, not sharks as the numbers have declined all over the world. This is why governments are placing quotas and better managment practices in place and this is my way of assisting.

In relation to your comment of holding animals in secure environments, that is a debate in which all persons must become involved and I respect your opinions, however, I disagree with your view. If it were not for the many efforts of well run zoos and aquariums some animals would already be extinct. Australia has the worst record in the world for native fauna becoming extinct.

Trevor Long
Director of Marine Sciences
Sea World
PO Box 190
Surfers Paradise Qld 4217
T: +61 7 5588 2427
F: +61 7 5588 2187
E: Trevor.Long@wvtp.com.au
W: www.seaworld.com.au

Meet our new orphaned Polar bear cubs at Sea World

letter two:-

I personally agree with you view and I also enjoy the Australian ways of life. I have 8 great grandchildren, which I take camping, fishing and I own a 4x4. However we have strong responsibilities to ensure that we respect other forms of life and in regard to the take of fish and sharks that it is done in a sustainable manner. The current take of sharks is unstainable

Cheers Trevor

CHRIS_aka_GWH
12-03-2005, 03:13 AM
if nothing else, we can learn from the man's eloquence & grace under fire.

.... and have spent many years operating boats in the Gulf of Carpentaria, from Cape York to Sydney. ...

Trevor Long
Director of Marine Sciences
Sea World

does this read pro fisho or at best coxswain etc to you guys ?

A marine biologist or rec fisho would not talk of "operating a boat" ?

bugman
12-03-2005, 04:16 AM
I don't know Mr Long - never met him.

But there is one thing I can add to this debate - if you look at the increase in shark captures from professional fisherman over the last five years - especially Queensland - then Mr Long has every reason to be concerned.

I'm pulling this from memory so don't hold this to me but I think it went something like 10-20 tonnes to 200+ tonnes per annum.

Professional fisherman have assured me that - it will flatten out - as those in the game reach a sustainable stock level - but there are people making millions right now from shark fishing.

Without any stock analysis it's hard to see what is sustainable but it's certainly a fishery that has come to the attention of a lot of people.

Bugman

dynamicspot
12-03-2005, 01:55 PM
I myself find it hard to belive he has been on a comerical fishing boat as he would of seen sharks turtles and numerious fish being pulled from the sea DEAD not alive not moving DEAD so if he has so much concern for the ocean and its marine life why don't he attack the rec fisher as said previously 80% of the catch from a trawler is dead this includes a big number of sharks in which the rec fisher could not achive in a life time
Idon't know what his game is but he should get his facts together before attacking people like ourselves

concerned and stirred up

Greg

D2
13-03-2005, 03:44 PM
Wonder which trawler off the Qld coast caught the polar bears

dynamicspot
14-03-2005, 03:53 AM
it was his of course

Greg

NQCairns
14-03-2005, 05:12 AM
IMHO the last member of the comunity to respect is a Politician then followed closely a CEO. The poly is in it for the long haul gravy train and the CEO's haul is usually shorter but only for themselves also, a person doesn't get to either by being a decent allround fella!
I would surmise that the louder a CEO squarks (media etc)the wider a poly's ears get, this in turn esp for environmental concerns, a gov check book comes out and grants are allocated to "study" or "research" etc.
In my opinion all goods bought with grant money or any form of gov money should be then auctioned and proceeds sent back to the public coffers when the grant period has ended and not become part of the profit/loss balance sheet.

I would be poor business to tout a species that had already had a heap of dollars thrown at it. The plight of Sharks in Australia - how many environmental business are on the shark gravy train? or are now laying tracks to accomodate it in the future? There would certainly be a few gov department's with vested shark interests atm I am sure.

Dignity
14-03-2005, 06:50 AM
mmmmm, wonder how he justifiies "However, I can assure you that many anglers still consider the only good shark is a dead shark." Is it based on his own experience in the gulf etc or on his memories of the good ol' days - remember he is a great grandfather or is just old timers disease. Has he bothered to get out of his artificial environment of late to find out what really does happen out on the water.

Sam

PinHead
14-03-2005, 08:26 AM
"The poly is in it for the long haul gravy train and the CEO's haul is usually shorter but only for themselves also, a person doesn't get to either by being a decent allround fella!"

"Has he bothered to get out of his artificial environment of late to find out what really does happen out on the water."

I have met Trevor Long a few times...I do not necessarily agree with his opinion in this matter, however, I can assure you he is "decent allround fella". He has always been very much "hands on" in his work at Seaworld in respect to the work with animals and saving of the whales etc. I can assure you that he has not always been an office jockey..I have seen him getting dirty in the engine room of boats etc.

By all means...criticise the man's opinions...nothing wrong with that but..play the ball not the man unless you know him or have at least met him.

Dignity
14-03-2005, 01:30 PM
:-XPinhead - :-X :-X, still stand by my first statement though - his opinion "However, I can assure you that many anglers still consider the only good shark is a dead shark." does not have any solid foundation. There are those part time anglers on jettys etc that might kill any shark that they catch but you can't judge the vast fraternity of anglers on those few.

Sam

PinHead
14-03-2005, 02:17 PM
:-XPinhead - #:-X :-X, still stand by my first statement though - his opinion "However, I can assure you that many anglers still consider the only good shark is a dead shark." does not have any solid foundation. #There are those part time anglers on jettys etc that might kill any shark that they catch but you can't judge the vast fraternity of anglers on those few.

Sam

I am not sure what you are saying...are the land based "part time" anglers any different to those with a boat...aren't we all "part time anglers"..and why does the person on the jetty have any different morals to someone in a boat? Plus...everything is always based on the actions of a few...never on the majority.

Dignity
15-03-2005, 09:38 AM
Pinhead I was refering to those "few" part time jetty anglers that will kill a shark - just left the word out in my post. Remember that the jetty anglers are highly visible and more non anglers will see these actions as being a reflection on the majority. It seems that we both agree "Plus...everything is always based on the actions of a few...never on the majority. "

Fisheasy
16-03-2005, 08:46 AM
After further correspondence with Mr Long (which I won't post) I have found him to be quite a likeable fellow. He certainly has a passion for sharks which seems quite genuine, the same passion I suppose we hold for fish.
I know you're thinking I've been sucked in but we all have our views and I respect him for his and he respects me for mine.
It's the greenies we have to worry about moreso than Seaworld. ;)

rando
16-03-2005, 10:50 AM
Fisheasy.
I agree he is an elequent and articulate communicator , & yes he has a passion for what he does.
My point in initiating this discussion however is this. I object to being tarred with the same brush as those people who do not respect our environment( the good shark is a dead shark types). Because that is just not me.
And further Mr long has a position that lends his statements credability with the public. For him to come out and say recfishers are a major contributor to the decline of shark populations and not put that statement into context: ie that other factors such as trawling ,longlining , sharknetting, drum lines etc etc are a much greater contributing factor is misleading & just plain wrong.And because his position afords him such a strong public voice his statements are then used by the antifishing lobby against us.
Dont be sucked in by the spin!!!. IT IS A VERY DELIBERATE STRATEGY ON HIS PART!!!!
Cheers
Rando