PDA

View Full Version : Beat this!

Dug
08-03-2005, 04:48 PM
OK guys and Girls I suppose this should go in the fishing reports but... i was spinning soft plastics in #the Maroochydore river this evening and caught a BAT yes a fruit bat, flying fox, winged primate call it what you will he flew past #just as I cast out and off he went. It was a short fight and he landed on my tackle box!

Knowing they have Lisser virus a form of rabies I gave it a wide berth and he untangled himself and took off before I could get to my camera, beside the tackle box.

This was witnessed buy another 3 fisher-folk so I was not hallucinating again.

Weird catches, has anyone else landed anything stranger?

cheers doug ;D

Jay_S
08-03-2005, 05:15 PM
Geez Dug you'll have to stop throwin fruit flavoured softies so high ;D ;D

Cheers Col

Ps my brother caught a crow in his crab pot but that's not as good as yours

Black_Jack
08-03-2005, 05:29 PM
i caught a seagull few years ago, once i got it in all it want to do was bite me when i was getting the hook out. it was released un hurt.

dynamicspot
08-03-2005, 05:41 PM
heres a strange but true one as a kid we fished the creeks in ipswich for eels i threw the bait out and it hit the other side of the bank before i knew it a frilly lizzard picked up the bait and hooked its self not much fun trying to get the hook out of those but it was released unharmed

Greg

roz
08-03-2005, 05:47 PM
OK Dug,
My list of thingies - A fresh water mussel in the Namoi, whilst fishing for yellow belly, a turtle on a lure, fishing for bass, a sea bird of some description, while fishing for tailor off the southern wall at Kingscliff with scores of onlookers. Countless mutton birds fishing for kingies off Moruya, a water dragon on a lure, again fishing for bass.
The best one was me, fishing for bass had to go to hospital to get the hook out.
Just incase p.e.t.a winge, everything except the fresh water mussel was released unharmed.
Roz

megan
09-03-2005, 02:45 AM
Numerous seaguls and mutton birds, and almost had a seal that wanted to go home with us.

Black_Rat
09-03-2005, 02:59 AM
I caught a seagull once as well, on a pillie, 3 hook gang and 20lb line ;D down on the Clarence River at Iluka. Poor little bugger stole my flattie bait so I had to real him in and try and gey the hook out >:( Managed to get it out not after the little critter was pecking the shit out of me with the two other hooks on the gang flying about :o.
Damo.

Zeeke
09-03-2005, 05:16 AM
lol, as dug already knows, ive caught a mutton bird, ive also caught a pelican, it was caught before it was able to fly away, hooks removed and was perfectly alright, no damage done, also caught lizards.... toads... (even El Bubbito(Bad_Bubby) has caught toads), caught seagulls aswell but thats about it other then fish

Tim

SCOTTYGC
09-03-2005, 05:42 AM
Hey No Frills

How about telling your mutton bird story ?

bassintom
09-03-2005, 06:16 AM
caught a chipmunk deadsticking a jig in my garage.caught a muskrat on a plastic worm.caught a duck on a worm.

DR
09-03-2005, 06:37 AM
my wife caught a big black dog at Rose Bay once. back in the 70s the gun bait at rose bay near the flying boat base was topside steak cut into 4"-5" strips about 1cm thick. on the right tide & time you would be guaranteed a 2lb bream, best went 3 1/2 lb cleaned. wife was about to cast when said dog sneaked up behind & grabbed bait, gave her the shock of her life. he tok about 150 yards of line as he went across the park before he spat the hook.had she landed him it would have been a great effort on 6lb line. lucky, i reckon he would have been a bugger to fillet...

Brenno
09-03-2005, 07:22 AM
like Roz i've caught a fresh water muscle in the Namoi.

also caught a few trees

roz
09-03-2005, 11:06 AM
Brenno,
So glad you have!!!!!! Most people think I am barking mad. I kept the shell and use it as a soap dish now, it was big. Did'nt fight much though.
Roz

dfox
09-03-2005, 11:21 AM
Caught a few out of the ordinary ones.
Got a croc in a crab pot once, which made alot of trouble to release.
Had a platapus get tangled in the fishing line another time.
And although i never caught it, i released a sea eagle that got stuck in a crab dilly at low tide, it was someone elses dilly...

Remo
09-03-2005, 12:53 PM
I also caught a turtle on a lure that had a head on it as big as my fist in the Mackenzie river at Dingo. Never ever seen one that big before.

Regards

Ray

Boxhead
09-03-2005, 12:58 PM
About 10 years ago I caught my mates forehead with both trebles on a lure. He was pretty pissed off. It was quite funny though (for me and the bloke driving the boat) and on day 1 of a 5 day trip, he demanded to be rushed back to Darwin hospital. Needless to say nobody else wanted to go so we dehooked him and dumped him back at the camp where he could cry himself to sleep...

I have also caught heaps of mutton birds (some lived RIP [smiley=rifle.gif] ;)) and the mother of all Albatrosses which grabbed a floating pilchard. We landed him and he went into berserk mode and bit the crap out of everybody before we could release him. awesome bird though...

Nath...

SeaHunt
09-03-2005, 01:08 PM
How about a one inch long flathead on a 4inch slug treble.
Not exactly hooked through the mouth though. :P
Released harmed. :D

bungie
09-03-2005, 02:09 PM
Caught my cat

http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/board/YaBB.cgi?board=General;action=download;file=mariah ook.jpg

philip_thomson
09-03-2005, 02:27 PM
caught a pair of sunglasses one day at donnybrook. amazing the number of mutton birds that think trolled lures are edible. wonder what a mutton bird tastes like. ;D im sure i could make it taste good

p.s. nice cat bungie ;D

jimbo59
09-03-2005, 02:48 PM
a couple of years ago i had a 60 footer that i had moored down the backyard in the river at goodna , running the engines one day and i put it into gear and straight away i remembed the crab pot which is now wrapped around the prop,anyway i dived down with me knife and started to cut it outwhen me mate started banging on the deck i came up and a big 7 foot king brown was starting to come over from the other side of the river straight towards me he wanted me bad istarted to walk on water and chased me all the way up the river bank,after that i slipped the boat.....sick of being live bait.

gruntahunter
09-03-2005, 02:58 PM
i caught my missus whilst fishing......should have thrown her back hey

boomer
09-03-2005, 05:45 PM
whils't fishing the mouth of boggy creek [brissvages river]
i casted my line baited with a peeled banana prawn had
a small hit so gave it a reef im on pulled in a small tailor
to my suprise my 4/0 had hooked through the eye of a
swiville attatched to a 20 pound trace to a set of ganged
5/0 hooked to the poor tailor the fish looked like it had been
hooked for weeks i know fish get rid of hooks themselves
but theese ones looked old anyhow i let the poor bugger go
i thought that was pretty arsy cheers ;D

Brejen
09-03-2005, 06:19 PM
My young bloke, while helping me wash the boat, thought he'd try some casting practice with SP's he doesn't bring it in and place's it in the rod holder. Well im washing away next i hear the rachet start to go off gets faster and faster when i finally look up here's on of his mothers chooks going off and another wanting some off the action as well. Best hit we had all day and laugh but not Mum. ;D ;D

Brett

DICER
10-03-2005, 04:02 AM
Nothing like a fruit bat, but I was casting out late at night in Ballina from a small marina, when a guy jumped in his tinny and fanged it out of the marina (at ~25 to 30 knots). There was absolutely no time and line just landed on the water. Furthermore he was completely unaware that I had cast way past him (beer goggles? [smiley=freak.gif]). Zip Zip Zip!!! 3/4 of a spool later, his motor had seized, my mates were in complete tears and histerics on the ground, and I had just got the knife out and cut him free. Ha, that stopped him. And he just drifted off and around the corner in current!!! DOh!

DICER

bugman
10-03-2005, 04:20 AM
Phil,

Mutton bird tastes absolutely beautiful - a really strong taste which is hard to compare. It's a staple food source in Tassie - just ask Blaze.

Bugman

bassfisher02
10-03-2005, 04:23 AM
ive caught plenty of turtles, a seagul, and get this. a pelican. i was fishin off a beach and i was use a shrimp and the bird dove strait down towards my bait. i apperently was bringin my bait threw a school of baitfish cause i saw them jumpin around. as soon as that pelican felt the hook it took off and broke my line.

Bream_Reaper01
10-03-2005, 05:17 AM
Iv'e caught the regulation seagulls and shags,but something funny happened to me in Townsville a few years ago.I was minding my own business fishing and had my bait on the ground beside me,well then down came an eagle and as he grabbed some of my bait his wing hit me on the leg,well with fright i fell out of my chair and my mates were rolling aroung with laughter.

bobby777888
10-03-2005, 09:41 AM
i caught a rod and reel at soverign waters (wellington point, brisbane)

bassfisher02
10-03-2005, 09:50 AM
done that to bobby, cept the one i got was mine. i was fishin and set my reel down for a sec to go get my drink and next thing i heard was plop, it went right in, i almost went after it but with all the gators and it was a cheap rod and reel i decided not to. then while i was fishin with my other pole i caught my other rod and reel.

Sandman
10-03-2005, 09:59 AM
Have a few and alot of birds, but two that stick out. First was in caloundra many years ago off military jetty was a nice 14foot cat slowed them down once the hook managed to peel their sail away.
Next was a good laugh , fisdhing off nrth wall at ballina chasing tailor , surf rod over the shoulder ready to cast then i hear a splash , hooked one of the mungral cats sending him flying into the water on a cast , cat put on a good fight in the current was hopeing to catch the tiger that love that part of the river. In the end the cat to my suprise let me take the hook out .

blaze
10-03-2005, 10:08 AM
hi bugman
16 more sleeps, wont post any pics this year though, yumo
cheers
blaze

Dignity
10-03-2005, 11:02 AM
caught the usual birds, sea gulls, mutton birds and pelicans - only thing I considered odd many years ago was a hand line caster made out of wood - it was basically 2 discs separated by dowling inset into them - this formed the spool and a nice wooden handle attached. was told at the time it was a chinese hand caster - don't have any pics as my mum used it for many years before it started to fall apart

would have liked to find the odd rod and reel I've lost over the side but no luck so far

Sam

phil_the_greek
10-03-2005, 09:28 PM
well sad but true i caught crabs! a long story involveing schollies week a long time ago at noosa.
late night fishing with mates too much beer girls the rest is histroy well all good now but not funny at the time
caught my first jack that night as well if memory serves!

phil

Dug
11-03-2005, 05:19 AM
come to think of it I did once catch a huge bush rat one of the native white tailed ones in a crab pot. I went to get some gloves to get it out of the pot and release it by the time I got back the dog was in the crab pot and there was a rat tail hanging out of her mouth. She was a greedy bitch ;D

smiggspig
11-03-2005, 06:32 AM
the weirdest thing i`ve caught is 2 blue swimmers tied together. My hook went through the string. I gues they musta fallen of a trawler and they where still alive. They where released into a pot of boiling water unharmed.

whynott
12-03-2005, 02:10 AM
I was fishing at Narrowneck one afternoon chasing Tailor.
The wind was up, so the wind surfers were out in force.
As I casted my pillie, at the same time this windsurfer zoomed past and my pillie got tangled around the top of his mast.
He was going so fast that it was not too long before the line broke.
He had no idea that he had a pillie dangling from the top of his mast dripping blood all over him.
As the fish were not on the chew, I left before he came back in, so I missed out on his reaction.
He would have stunk, and maybe did not know why.
Cheers,
Graham.

Dignity
12-03-2005, 08:10 AM
the weirdest thing i`ve caught is 2 blue swimmers tied together. #My hook went through the string. I gues they musta fallen of a trawler and they where still alive. #They where released into a pot of boiling water unharmed.

Forgot about that one - in the Robinson River NT we caught a huge buck in one of our pots that was all tied up.

davothegreat
12-03-2005, 01:21 PM
after getting a triple of albacor in the boat i looked of the flybridge an saw a pidgon sitting on the side of the boat witch was strange because we were 25nm out in 25n wind and lucky to be holding on oursleves.we put him in the head and let him go back in port

DICER
13-03-2005, 04:35 AM
dug - lol

Brett_Hoskin
13-03-2005, 05:28 AM
The same happened to me once in an ANSA comp. I hooked a seagull on 1kg line.Took more than 20 minures to get the bugger to the boat..He was released ok ;D

Wild_Side
13-03-2005, 10:24 AM
A number of years a go I caught an average size est cod on lure. Nothing strange. Until I tryed to unhook it, it had a snake in its mouth....... :o

roz
13-03-2005, 05:13 PM
Brenno,
Where abouts in the Namoi did you fish????
Roz

Dug
13-03-2005, 07:19 PM
Estuary cod cruise the very edge of creeks and rivers and will snap at anything that moves, we used to catch them regularly by putting a line and live prawn right at our feet while barramundi fishing in Rockhampton. Nothing quite like a 2kg+ fish going off on about 2m of line ;D

bidkev
13-03-2005, 07:25 PM
Caught a couple of seagulls whilst casting, and a cormorant (dead) :( in a crab pot. I also had a seal on the hook for a short time in Scotland. The strangest thing I caught (in the UK) was a church bell. Folklore had it that a village had been swallowed by the sea, but at the time, I couldn't find any reference to it <thinks> 20 yrs on, I may just do a google on it.

The strangest thing was when I was fishing on Amity jetty when I first came to Oz. There was, what I think were Tuna, ripping into bait fish and mutton birds diving for the scraps only about 30 metres from the jetty. A fish collided with a mutton bird and the bird fell to the water with a broken kneck! Now with all that sky, and all that sea? What's the odds on that? :-)

cheers

kev

sav
13-03-2005, 07:32 PM
Left my rod with lure attached against the shed wall at home. My dog took a fancy to it.
There was no way I could get the hooks out of his mouth - cost me a $100 at the vets.
Still got that lure - stuffed if it can catch a fish though.
Sav

smiggspig
15-03-2005, 05:59 PM
i was out surfing a few years back and there where heaps of mullet around big schools everywhere. So i`m riding this wave, went right out on the face and put in a big cutback then felt a thump under foot kept riding thought nothing of it,paddling back out i see a mullet 30cm long floating belly up then i clicked thats what i hit,so i stuck it down the back off my wetty and gave it to my girlfriend who was fishing on the beach.It took ages to get mullet smell out of wetsuit.FAIR DINKUM

Remo
15-03-2005, 06:31 PM
I didn't catch this one, but sure was funny.
Many years ago now but I was fishing at Karumba, and we had a good day out catching a variety of fish. So that afternoon My mate and I were cleaning fish on the beach were the bunglos used to be, next to the caravan park.

I suggested that shane take a photo of the best fish of the day that I caught, So as I was poseing with the fish (a nice finger mark) As shane snapped the photo the fish disappeared out of my hands. For a split second or two I looked at my empty hands in disblief - what the f#$@ck as then I turned around to look to see what happened. As then a fish fell from the heavens about fifty metres out to sea. And an eagle chasing it all the way down. It must have sunk as the eagle circled a few times and gave it away.
I do have a photo of the stunned look on my face and part of the eagle and fish about to leave on its journey.

I think I could live another life time and never have that happen again. i'll try and find the photo and scan it and put it up.

Cheers Ray

Bad_Bubby
16-03-2005, 12:07 PM
toads... (even El Bubbito(Bad_Bubby) has caught toads),

Soft plastic fishing at its best Zeeker. Probably the craziest thing that happened to me was about 5 or 6 years ago when i was on my summer holidays in Maroochydore. I was fishing for bream near the motorway bridge, I went to cast out and felt some major resistance. I turned around and my 2kg spin outfit spewed out line, about 40m away was a pelican that looked like it was trying to dive bomb the traffic. The pelican won the fight.

Another incident occured when I had a live yakka out in strong current. I was almost asleep after a hard day in the sun before my ratechet sounded. I struck only to feel my line come tight in mid air, looked up to see a massive sea eagle about 70m in the air. I got the yakka back but it wasnt easy.

Thats the stuff that wasnt my fault anyway;)