PDA

View Full Version : What fish are you recommended to eat?

bugman
11-03-2005, 09:03 AM
Gents,

Thought this would be of interested, some may have already seen it.

The Australian Marine Conservation Society produces a guide on what species of fish we should and shouldn't eat on ecological sustainable grounds.

Interesting for those lamenting the rec catches of Barra, mackeral, tailor, bream etc - these are on the "good fish side" of a resource coming from a sustainable fishery.

http://www.amcs.org.au/campaigns/sustainable_seafood_guide/sustainable_seafood_guide.html

or if you just want the pdf file

http://www.amcs.org.au/campaigns/sustainable_seafood_guide/pdfs/ss_a6_fish_food_guide.pdf

What are your thoughts?

Bugman

SeaHunt
11-03-2005, 09:15 AM
Dead ones are usually the best. ;D ;D ;D

mackmauler
11-03-2005, 09:33 AM
Overall Brett if I had any thoughts it was that pro fishing is F#### up the stocks, get rid of those longliners!

agnes_jack
11-03-2005, 09:44 AM
Coral Trout :D :D :D
There must be heaps of them or we wouldn't be sending so many tonnes overseas!!!!!
Our fisheries scientists must be right ??? ;D ;D ;D

Regards, Tony

roz
11-03-2005, 06:20 PM
Very good idea Brett, I was surprised to see shark and silver trevelly on the no list.
Roz

DICER
12-03-2005, 05:41 AM
Eat herring - entirely sustainable ....... ;D

Fisheasy
12-03-2005, 05:57 AM
I eat what I like ;)

Anne-T-Dote
12-03-2005, 08:55 AM
Tony, yeah - there are heaps of trout around in certain areas, hey? AND heaps of people target them over and above other fish. So it makes sense that they'd be a very stable species as far as sustainability is concerned.

BUT in my opinion (I'm probably going to cop a load for this one) I rate them fairly well down on the list in terms of eating quality... #:-X I find them a bit bland #:-X #:-X #:-X So they can have 'em.

agnes_jill
12-03-2005, 08:55 AM
Mangrove Jack, Coral Trout Red Emperor. All go down well with a JD of course ;D ;D
Regards Sandi

Burley_Boy
12-03-2005, 09:57 AM
If Rob would kindly stop fishing there would be a lot more fish in the ocean. ::)

agnes_jack
12-03-2005, 10:02 AM
Macca
I would agree after the amount we have eaten lately, I was only saying to my fishing mate the other day, that we need to catch more red emps, etc.
The trout are losing thier novelty with us lately. ::)

Might start chasing some mother in laws ;D ;D ;D

Regards, Tony ;)

Anne-T-Dote
12-03-2005, 11:36 AM
Wooohoooo - ;D Tony your a god-send. FINALLY I've found someone who agrees with me. Wait 'till I tell my mate Ed. He LOVES trout and geez it stirs him up when I tell there's better eating quality fish out there... :D :D

mackmauler
12-03-2005, 01:52 PM
Macca, I agree with you and many others I know do as well, trout are nice but not red emperor.

Anne-T-Dote
17-03-2005, 12:11 PM
Good on ya Rob. I kept getting told that my taste was in my r's, and having never found any one to agree with me I was starting to wonder if they were right. But now I have BACKUP... ;D ;D ;D ;)