PDA

View Full Version : Townsville artificial reef ?

Mad_Barry
18-03-2005, 09:33 AM
Much pushing for an artificial reef has been done in the rec commuinity for a while, good to see the chamber of commerce, council etc taking it another step.

Problem is, now they all seem to think it's a great idea as a "dive site" drawcard for Townsville. Now call me a cynical old pr*ck, buts whats the bet that the fisho's that got this ball rolling get pushed to the side as this gets labled a green zone/dive site only, if and when it gets put in place ?

What's the go with other artificial reef's, are they successful for multi use ?

Do divers like getting sinkers & baited up whole squid dropped on their head while diving ?, or foul hooked by the trebles of a trolled crazy deep lazer pro as they swim around looking at an old boat ? # # ;D, #if not, they'd better get used to it pretty quick #;D

http://townsvillebulletin.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,7034,12570965%255E14787,00.html

We better keep our eye on the ball with this. #:)

Mad_Barry
18-03-2005, 09:41 AM
. ooops, meant to edit.

devocean
18-03-2005, 10:02 AM
Tourism dollars where do they go is the big question.

As a NQer I have been on plenty little touristy adventurers. Most of these dive places and other joints are staffed by bloody poms here on a holiday. The guys who own the businesses are from sydney or melbourne and the locals get didly squat. No jobs a tiny percentage of money goes back into the local market.

Another good reason I reckon why the artificial reef should be for fishos because at least the local tackle shops get the money. Anyway thats my 2 cents

kc
18-03-2005, 10:21 AM
The federal government announced a "recreational fishing enhancement fund" during the election. This money will come available next financial year for qualifying projects including artificial reefs.

This is for recreational fishing not recreational diving and based on the types of artificial reefs put down, why whould divers want to dive on a bunch of old car bodies when they have the reef anyway.....all a bit strange.

GRMPA have on their website and information page on the whole question of artificial reefs and the environmental concerns and rules are going to make it a pretty big hurdle to jump for any organisation wanting to put down an artificial reef.

This will be a long and drawn-out process and I for 1 won't be holding my breath waiting for artificial reefs to be approved and put down in the GBR park.

Anyone/club/group wanting help to start the process is welcome to drop us a line. A well organised group prepared to actually do a bit of work towards this would be a good test case & prop forma for any future AR's.

It can be funded to the tune of $100,000 per project but the process would need some seed funding first for impact assessment studies, submission documents etc.

Regards

KC
The Fishing Party (Qld)

whiteman
18-03-2005, 01:14 PM
Dicko

You're a cynical old pr*ck !!

dynamicspot
18-03-2005, 02:47 PM
Hi diko,I think in all fairness divers have as much right to use an artifical reef as much as a rec fisher,and if the barrier reef is so close why would you want to use an artifical reef instead of the barrier

Thats my 2 cents

Greg

Boxhead
18-03-2005, 03:12 PM
Whatever you do, keep all those bloody Grey Nurse Sharks away!!

But Dicko I understand your resentment to Scuba dickheads, I had an experiance on Jervis Bay where a Dive charter boat came along side me whilst anchored and told to move as he and his customers were about to dive there...... I showed him how to count to one and reminded him of the colourfull side of the english language and he went further around the reef and anchored away from me.... Since then I have a healthy disrespect for the arogant bastards.... I wasn't in a protected zone either....

Nath...

dynamicspot
18-03-2005, 05:51 PM
blame the charters not the divers

Mad_Barry
19-03-2005, 06:03 AM
I don't resent the divers, I'm a broad minded sort of fellow, I even like jet skis and water Skiiers (when I'm on them #;))

The point being, that the dive community is now looking at it as 'their' baby. Which could be a odds with what we we wish to see happen.

Oh well, if comes to push and shove and the rec fisho's get shafted in favour of a dive only site, I'll come in from left field and put in an aplication for "heritage listing" or something, as a sign of respect, due to the ships historical signicance !, and ban diving as well #:o

Or maybe even a native title claim !,,

Or possibly even declare it a sacred site #;D. Damn, if I go back through the family I'm sure to come across a relation, close family friend, or someone who at least knew someone who died, or at maybe even just stubbed their toe whilst serving on this once prestigous craft. Now, sadly, to be simply scuttled, delegated it's remaining years in our hearts as little more than a fusilier's underwater highway rest stop.

"HMAS Townsville" deserves more gratitude than we are giving.

Gee, the more I think about it, it's quite disrespectful to the families of all who ever served on her, not to mention the thousands of casual admirers and enthusiasts who've loved and cherished her over the years #:o

In fact, we could take this all the way to the logical conclusion that it was actually a scuba diver outlined in that blurry photo on the grassy knoll in Houston Texas, the day of the JFK assasination #;)

(Don't mind me, I'm having one of those quiet days at work #8) # #

Barrymundi
19-03-2005, 06:10 AM
Dicko,

we should be out fishing, look at the weather.

I bet you Whiteman is out there catching some

Al

Mad_Barry
19-03-2005, 06:13 AM
hmm, I know, been looking out the office window with tears building up in my eyes. Hardly a murmur of movement in the tree tops. Have an appointment after lunch that I can't get out of..... or I'd be gone #>:(

whiteman
19-03-2005, 09:05 AM
Whiteman "working". I'm getting complaints at home that there's no room in the freezer for meat! Looks like big Al, his gal and I are going to hunt FMs in the morning.