PDA

View Full Version : Wet Tropics Mamagement Plan

kc
21-03-2005, 05:06 AM
A quote from the Executive Co-ordinator of the National Parks Association of Queensland Mr Martin Taylor in regards the management plan for the Wet Tropics.

"The wet tropics is not the playground for cows or dogs, Fishermen or real estate speculators. There is plenty of scope for these activities outside the world heritage area and that's where they belong"".

hmmmmmmm!

Just more evidence (if we needed any) that the mindset of these organisations is that fishing and world heritage listings are incompatible...read..all of cape york, all of the GBR, all of Kakadu.

It is going to be a rough ride for the next few years and the green lobby have a 20 year head start on us.

Regards

KC

The Fishing Party (Qld)

Daintreeboy
21-03-2005, 05:36 AM
Yeah not good news. I'm trying to get into a meeting about this sort of stuff. It involves user groups for the land based side of things. I asked the bloke involved from the local 4WD club and he said rec fishing has not been brought up as it's a land based meeting but I'll raise it if I can at the next meeting. Will keep you informed via PM KC when I get anything.
Cheers, Mark.

dasher
21-03-2005, 06:08 AM
How do we get anglers put on the endangered species list before we become extinct. ??? :o [smiley=angryfire.gif]

kc
21-03-2005, 09:28 AM
Thanks Mark,

I am due to come up to Cairns in the next few weeks. When is the meeting & I will try to attend.

KC

Derek Bullock
21-03-2005, 10:32 AM
Check these sites out. Just so everyone knows, I am a supporter of the National Parks Association of Queensland.

Wet Tropics Management Authority (http://www.wettropics.gov.au/)

National Parks Association of Queensland (http://www.npaq.org.au/index.html)

Cheers.

Derek

kc
21-03-2005, 11:34 PM
Thanks Derek,

Are you a supporter of their position on no fishing in world heritage areas??

KC

Derek Bullock
22-03-2005, 07:10 AM
KC

Thats a very broad statement.

I support, in principle, the concept that some World Heritage listed areas should be set aside and nothing should be allowed to happen in them wether it be camping, horseriding, fourwheel driving or fishing.

Derek

megafish71
22-03-2005, 10:18 AM
What is the point of protecting these areas if nobody can enjoy it?

Ron

Derek Bullock
22-03-2005, 11:17 AM
You can. Just cant destroy them as has been happening. Check out the two websites.

Derek

Daintreeboy
22-03-2005, 01:06 PM
Did that include diving/tourists? Evidence around showing impact divers have on reef systems.
Cheers, Mark.
PS KC, don't know when the next meeting is. I asked to be included and the bloke said he'd call me when he heard. Perhaps I'd better call him. I'll get back to you.

charexblue
22-03-2005, 02:32 PM
:)Hi .
I don.t know your area but suggest a real re-read of the plan .
WHY so a bit of common sense can be inputed from people who are afected . Look for the loopholes where certain folk can get out of responsibility /// then quietly reply jointly. ie a group representation / and no i am not a greenie lol// had to read a plan today where innocent folk end up with loss// lovely world // YES Dereck i totally agree that some areas need that but I do say that fishermen are just as important as farmers as they can improve really shit areas to bring back native fish for all // lol yeh proved it can be done lol.
all the best peter :)

kc
23-03-2005, 05:11 AM
The point of the post is just a further wake-up call.

The green movement in general is, it would appear, anti-fishing.

Wether that be Queensland conservation council, who called recreational fishing a "barbaric passtime with no place in a modern society" or this national parks association who oppose fishing in all world heritage areas....it is just an unfortunate part of the green agenda.

If you read the policies of most green organisations then most of us would support 90%+ of what they seek to acheive...maybe this is where Derek aligns himself. ....The trouble is the other 10% which directly impacts on users of these areas..like fishers, 4WD and horseriders...even bee-keepers.

As to wanting fishing banned in all world heritage areas!!!!! this is just over the top and unfortunately typical of the ultra green lobby not giving a damn about people who live in these areas or the businesses involved.

As I have said before, until the government fears the fishing vote more than the green vote we are on a hiding to nothing.

KC

dazza
23-03-2005, 06:02 AM
hi all,
had a qiuck look at these web sites.
interesting the wet tropics mob are happy to put a walkway through the rainforest canopy, but don't want my family and i fishing from a river or creekbank :-/ :-/
oops i forgot- the tourist dollar, silly me. shouldn't let anything get in the way of that
cheers
dazza

Derek Bullock
23-03-2005, 08:59 AM
If you read the policies of most green organisations then most of us would support 90%+ of what they seek to acheive...maybe this is where Derek aligns himself. ....The trouble is the other 10% which directly impacts on users of these areas..like fishers, 4WD and horseriders...even bee-keepers.

Very true KC.

The trouble is fanatacism creeps in, in all sorts of organisations. Look at PETA for example. What is needed is a fair go for everyone. Remembering that "fair" sometimes means someone or some group misses out.

I am not defending or supporting what Martin Taylor has said but if you were to see some of the places where groups of people have been in Wilderness Areas and National Parks it makes you wonder sometimes. Tress cut down, soil degragation, rubbish including broken bottles etc strewn all over. We dont help our own causes at times.

There shouldnt be anything wrong with fishing in wilderness areas, it's what people do when they are there that is a problem.

Visit them by all means but look after them.

Derek

Fisher_Boats
23-03-2005, 09:10 AM
Seems like the same old story.......the minority ruin it for the rest.
What's wrong with policing things a bit more? Where's the policies for that?
Be better then just closing everywhere off and seeing people who do the right things suffer.
Then again the Government are no angels themselves at times.

Col

Glind
23-03-2005, 09:57 AM
The same scenario could be said about places like Mission point on Bribie. There is a lot of people who use the area and most look after it. You get the d!ckheads that cut down or rip down trees, smash beer bottles etc etc and the majority have to pay as a result of their exploits. There is still broken beer bottles and other rubbish being exposed around the camp areas from years ago (eg old big bottles of beer prior to screw top days and various old cans etc) when there has been a big blow, so are we now to pay for all of these ignorant ferals? The horse has bolted I'm afraid and it is our generation that has to manage the damage from the past. Locking people out will cause outrage, education works for the majority, d!ckheads will always exist and there are only a few to police all the massive areas that need management.
The answer is not simple and if only we could get rid of the few that stuff it up for the rest...........
Our crew are sick and tired of seeing idiots in action in our part of the world and we are now letting the authorites know. Call it dobbing or what you like, but unless the National Parks guys or coppers know what is going on, idiots will still ruin it for the good guys. Prime example is the people fishing off the Bribie bridge. What will it take before something is said or done, maybe a kid with a fish hook in their eye. Speak up people or you will be left with zip.
Yep for sure our great land needs looking after, but how do we do it and still retain our privleges is what I want to know. I'm open to suggestions that will be fair and equitable to all, except those rape, pillage and plunder our country of course.
Okay, I'm off my high hosre now................
Tim

charexblue
24-03-2005, 02:17 PM
:)well said by all 8) very good points raised :)
i wish i knew the answers too KC and Tim N and how to achieve the balance. i am inland grazier/ irrigator and aquaculture Yabby farmer, in our area we're getting ripped big time, we're argueing quietly for fair play{ properties and families over 1000 sq kilometres affected} often feels like getting hit in the head with a cricket bat between greenies ultra and department SWEAR Word but we're are trying.
Re Rec fishers i believe the rec fishers will play an important part in fixing the dept's stuff ups // why because there is written certains targets and goals that must be achieved in a timeframe// so what?// carp stir up the water like a soup mix not much settles eg dirt and chemicals and salt load // so restocking and rec fishers pulling carp breeders out of creeks rivers breeding grounds etc help the system and also lots of fisherman do put back big natives or those with eggs. i see a great need for rec fishers to be rcognised for the good they do.
always going to be a minority that work against the principle for whatever reason..
sensitive areas clearing and farming land on top of soil that is over a prior stream sytem / will increase chance of salinity to all surrounding land // size of sensitive area 30 metrers wide meander across paddock/ loss to farmer if left untouched neglibable.
sebsitive area yabby {charexdestructor } have breeding sites in waterholes or drains just one section 10 metres long can contain where all go to mate / get a good catch of eating yabbies but can ruin whole area.
anyway congrats i think all have spoken well on this post
HAPPY EASTER TO ALL from peter

ssbayguide
24-03-2005, 02:29 PM
I'm with you on this one Derek