PDA

View Full Version : Idiot's Fishing off the Bribie Bridge

markpeta
21-03-2005, 03:46 PM
Went fishing the in morning checkout the reports Bribie mixed bag under the Bridge. alot of people are starting to fish off the bridge now even though there are no fishing signs. They just throw there line out anywhere even over the main channel . Took my boys out at about 7am and going under the bridge went through there lines cant even see them until you have it wrapped around you. The lines went all over and i grapped the sinker of on of them before a hook went into my sons head. No use abusing them just on the mobile to the police. Any way after seeing the 2 other boats getting caught up and the peolple move off 45 min later the police drive by. How can we get out there to the public and police to enforce not fishing of the bridge with fines or local papers as it wont be to long before more people get hurt. Has anyone got any ideas on what to do all feed back would be positve as I am goning to do everything I can to stop this. I urge all people who fish in boats around Bribie to ring the police when they are out and see people fishing off the bridge. Maybe after they get called out enough times they will put something in the paper and issue on the spot fines.

markpeta
21-03-2005, 03:53 PM
Here's the phone number for the Bribie Police if you live or fish in the area and are fishing or driving over the bridge please please put it in your mobile memory ring them lets stop this dangerous practice. 34088200

redspeckle
21-03-2005, 04:39 PM
This happen to us a few time's when out with my brother under Bribe Bridge in what markpeta said in above topic.
We had even beer bottles thrown off the bridge lucky they did didn't hit us .
On Tingapla Road Bridge near Thorneside just don't have to put up with fishing lines also crab pot lines as well which is dan right dangerous [smiley=behead.gif]
This most probably happens alot with road bridges over water ways , from now on i be ringing the cops about this matter
Mitch Go Cowboys in 2005

Bosunsmate
22-03-2005, 12:22 PM
yep same story at Rooneys Bridge up here in townsville....not too often I go under it because of clearances both above on a high and below on a low but it can be a problem...

devocean
22-03-2005, 03:12 PM
One option get a pair of scissors and cut the lines as they are fishing. Might even score a few nice gamkatsu hooks this way.

cuda
22-03-2005, 04:58 PM
just cutting there lines gives them chance to re-rig and keep fishing
how about backing the boat up under the bridge, using the gaff grab there lines tie them of to the ski hooks and then take of at speed spooling them ;D
hard to re-rig with no line on the reel
would also give them a story about the one that got away
just a thought

adriancorrea
22-03-2005, 07:19 PM
I like that idea Cuda, might even score a rod aswell lol :D ;)

Tight Lines
Adrian

Bad_Bubby
22-03-2005, 07:45 PM
The situation at Bribie doesnt sound too promising but remember not to condemn all bridge fishers simply because there are a few people breaking the law. If you see them just call the police, buggering around with people's lines isn't really going to help things.

dazza
23-03-2005, 04:59 AM
hi all,
good luck getting the bribie police to do anything :( :(
i drive over the bridge at all sorts of hours (shiftworker) and there are always people fishing off of the bridge thses days. i guess it is the same as the kids jumping off of the bridge, big signs everwhere advising of the danger associated with this pratice, the police choose to turn a blind eye to this as well.
maybe a call to the council might see a bit of action and also a call to our local councilor
cheers
dazza

markpeta
24-03-2005, 06:49 AM
Wel it dont look like the police are interested have rang them 4 times since the weekend and all it seems to be to them is a hastle. See how it goes over the weekend

el_carpo
24-03-2005, 09:28 AM
All due to the lack of proper respect for authority.

Jeremy
24-03-2005, 10:17 AM
dunno what the answer is, but if someone fuc#ed with my line, they would get some #8 balls thrown at them. Might even go wait at the ramp for you. Important note: this is hypothetical as I do not fish from bridges.

Doesn't seem to be worth it to me.

Jeremy

Richo1
24-03-2005, 12:40 PM
Call the water Police and tell them the fishermen are creating a 'Navigational Hazard' making it unsafe for vessels to pass under the bridge. The water police on the brisie river are really good with things like that!
Anyone who leaves their lines in the channel while your trying to get through deserves to have them cut! The channel that is!

Cheers Richo

SeaHunt
24-03-2005, 01:09 PM
It is not just the land based who are inconsiderate up that way, there is usually a line of crap pots in the main chanel starting from about 200 metres past the bridge all the way out past the bottom tip of Bribie. :P

dazza
24-03-2005, 01:24 PM
hi all,
as far as the water police go, we are at the very northern boundary of the brissie river guy's and the very southern end of maloolabah's teritory, unfortunatley we don't see the water police all that often.

how's this for a solution- paint a section of the pilons and the walkway in the bridge a seperate colour, bridge fisho's can fish in these areas. there is plenty of bridge for all to share, just need a bit of give and take. these guy's are obviously fairly into their fishing, they are often there in the middle of the night through to the early hours. i don't agree with them fishing in the current situation, but believe they should be able to partake in their sport. it is a sort of green zone for land based fisho's
cheers
dazza

Zeeke
24-03-2005, 01:51 PM
ive seen bridge fishos fishing off the motorway bridge over maroochy river... had some guys one night fishing off the base pylon after rowing out in there canoe, all nicely setup to have guys on the bridge 50ft above them drop there lines straight down infront of the other guys... these guys were constantly scratching there heads when they saw a small undersize bream slowly swim his way 50ft into the air, then do an informal backflip quarter turn double dutch flip flop into the water, seen guys get jagged by hooks while driving under with there boats... not a whole lot of fun.. but the worse bit is copping a 15yr old launching himself off the bridge and into your boat.. they jump off where the blue nav lights are indicating the boating channel.. dunno if they are smart at all.. but 60kgs of meat will do alot of damage to a 14ft tinny..especially from a 50ft fall ive had some drop only 3 or 4 meters from my boat.. they think its funny.. but it aint!!

Tim

basserman
24-03-2005, 02:06 PM
if it was me i would be defintly speeking to your loacal MP or going to your next loacal goverment session and bringing it up
both the jumping and fishing in boating channels
one thing most goverments understand is public liablity
there was just a case this week where a young fella jumped off the bridge at foster that got over turned and now the councle is liabile for something like 5mill
even though they had signs saying that your not allowed to jump from the bridge it got overturned all because there wasn't a sign stateing what could happen if you did jump from the bridge :o
i'm sure the council wouldn't want anyone sueing them because they got injured but a flying hook or sinker from the bridge or something like above :-/

fishingnottake
24-03-2005, 02:46 PM
you need a ha;f cabin and just aim straight for the lines... then again a dozen stands of 20lb firewire wrapped around your propeller might slow you down.

Fatenhappy
25-04-2014, 10:01 AM
Hmm, that was 9 years ago and nothing's changed still with the problem getting even worse. Here we are in 2014 and I haven't got a sensible response to the idiots who continue fish the main channel area off the bridge ..... $&ck witts.

Gon Fishun
27-06-2014, 04:44 PM
Heard a rumor as at the 1st July, on the spot fines for fishing off the Bribie Bridge.

Tailortaker
29-06-2014, 07:53 PM
Haven't heard that one,,, who's going to issue these fines because currently our local police couldn't give a shit.

fishychrissy
30-06-2014, 08:54 AM
I guess unless the Police park at one end and walk along the Bridge to dish out the fine it's not going to happen.
There's certainly nowhere for them to stop on the Bridge itself unless they hold the traffic up unfortunately.
Maybe somebody could actually start issuing fines to the idiots who fish under there at night with no lights, or who anchor directly in the blue lit channels?