PDA

View Full Version : killing of sharks that attack humans

philip_thomson
22-03-2005, 03:50 PM
im not sure about other people but i get really angry when i hear about a shark killing someone and then everyone wants the shark to be killed.

33% of your average australians believe that yes the shark should be killed when it kills a human.

i am just curious as to weather or not the percentage changes among fisherman.

cheers phil

basserman
22-03-2005, 04:00 PM
I'm a VERY VERY VERY STRONG NO
have a look at any point on australia and count how many surfers there are then swimmer divers ect any how many get attack by sharks??? stuff all thats how many

i just can't belive in this day and age that many people still have the mentality that once a shark attacks thats it it will come back and eat all our childrens ::)

i fish alot and if people really knew how many sharks are out in the same waters they swim and ski in i think most would never go again
if your in their environment then things will happen

silly really a shark kills and we must kill it and yet when someone kills someone else we just toss them in jail for 25 or less years
croc kills we try to relocate it
and how about all the other animals that kill and yet we think nothing of them (eg box jellys, snakes, killer kangaroos :P)
well had my spit for the night ;D

col_aus
22-03-2005, 04:13 PM
big no from me to on this one,everyone feels for the families of the people involved but killing them isnt going to bring anyone back.
if its ok to kill sharks that kill is it ok to kill drink drivers that kill?
cheers col

Heath
22-03-2005, 04:16 PM
if its protected, its protected! Simple.

So, if they want to unprotect, go right ahead. I want a set of them choppers on my wall :o

snappa
22-03-2005, 04:20 PM
;D
maybe it might get up around fraser is. come august...??????

::)

Cheech
22-03-2005, 05:42 PM
I suppose I am in that 33%

Never really recovered from seeing Jaws all those years ago.

Black_Rat
23-03-2005, 03:07 AM
NEVER ! We don't have capital punishment in this country for humans so why kill a shark that acts on instinct in its own enviroment. >:(

imported_admin
23-03-2005, 05:12 AM
Doctors kill more people than sharks do.

Why kill a shark that is doing what comes natural and in its environment.

SeaHunt
23-03-2005, 05:44 AM
If it was hanging around a beach and regularly killing people , then yes.
This one was 50 k off the coast , you wouldn't know it was the right one unless it had a snorkel stuck between its teeth, leave em alone. :P

They kill dogs that attack people, that annoys me more, a shark is just a fish after all and I am sure we have all killed plenty of them. [smiley=confused.gif]

finga64
23-03-2005, 06:01 AM
Nope. same goes for unnecessary killing of any animal.
My worst hate is seeing shovel nose sharks and stingos killed and just left on the beach to rot in the sun. Why, what was the point?? ???
Easier to cut the line and let them go on their way.

tideline_two
23-03-2005, 06:31 AM
dang i reckon i'm in the minority. kill the damm thing...... its a FISH ! and if its eaten a member of my family i promise it wouldn't eat any more. would the world be less if all man eating sharks were gone? YEAH THEY WOULDN"T EAT ANYONE ELSE ..simple math . they aren't like a god or something...they have a place in the enviroment and so do we. if its a choice .....i chose people.

ps. ---i've never hugged a tree in my life. and don't plan on starting. people are just has big a part of nature has that shark is.

megan
23-03-2005, 07:24 AM
How are you going to know if it's the same shark that killed? Do people think there is only one 6 metre shark out there?

What about the croc in Africa that was supposed to have eaten as many as 88 people - they caught it and are now going to breed from it. It's a crazy world and I guess there is no right or wrong answer - everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Mick
23-03-2005, 07:46 AM
I have been surfing, fishing, skiiing, surf life saving, free diving, spearfishing, scuba diving (including night diving) boating, canoeing, and other things I can't think of at the moment that all has something to with the ocean, since I was too young to remember. I love the ocean and everything that is in it. I am confident in saying I have probably seen more sharks in the wild then most, which ranges from large tigers to small reefies and wobbys.

My life started in the ocean and could finish in the ocean, at any time.

I wonder if all the species we eat have these feelings towards humans. My guess is they don't because they understand nature better then what we do. Life is a eat and be eaten world. Revenge is something experienced by humans only and I think this is our downfall.

Mick

devocean
23-03-2005, 07:53 AM
I think you have to remeber that there are such things as rogue sharks which do hang around and act very differently to normal sharks. These shark do need to be destroyed. I think each case should be investigated on its own merit

Derek Bullock
23-03-2005, 08:46 AM
Revenge is something experienced by humans only

Seen some mad scrub bulls in the bush where I would have to differ on that. Then buggers are definately out for some sort of revenge. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Derek

mini696
23-03-2005, 09:05 AM
A big NOooooooo!!!

a) How can you tell its the same one that attacked previously?
b) Where is the proof that sharks turn "Rogue" I've never heard of a series of attacks in the same area "Jaws style"
c) We know the risks... We still enter the water.
d) Hippos kill heaps of people each year (way more then sharks), but no-one hunts them down do they?
e) While there are practices like "Shark Cage Diving" going on the sharks are being taught to associate Humans and Boats with food. This has more implications than ONE shark biting ONE person.

Mick

Mick
23-03-2005, 09:14 AM
Same as magpies derek, but the motives are for survival, not a thought out plan to inflict pain or death for the reason of revenge. We aren't killing a shark because our lives are in danger, we are killing it because it already took a life. Some may not know the difference but I honestly think there is a huge difference.

tideline_two
23-03-2005, 09:56 AM
lets put it this way====== if you were in the water and the shark was heading toward you in a feeding mood would you kill it?

would you kill it it if just ate your girlfriend and was just hanging around finishing up the last bits?

would you kill it if you thought it might kill someone else tomorrow?

according to the above poll at the present time 77% say not to kill the danged thing. i just can't figure that out.

Kiktz
23-03-2005, 10:18 AM
The day a shark walks up onto the street and kills someone by all means.
but as far as I am concerned we are on their turf. They are only do what they know.

jimmybob
23-03-2005, 11:59 AM
nah i dont reckon we should kill em...they r dinosaurs....we should kill child molestors i reckon

markpeta
23-03-2005, 12:29 PM
Big yes here and the guys that said no if a shark took a family member bet you would change your minds. Humans should be no differant an eye for an eye I reckon. How many dogs a year get put down for just bitting people.

Just my Thoughts Mark

Blue_Escape
23-03-2005, 12:51 PM
Definite NO! The sea is still a wild place enter at your own risk!
If you choose to act like a sharks natural prey eg. floating on the surface like a seal/snorkler or turtle/surfer (just picture the profile you have from underneath.......) in the shark's NATURAL habitat then you are greatly increasing the odds of getting bit. Do this on a steep drop off at the edge of a reef and you better have your will in order! A shark is just looking for an easy meal, keeping 1-2 tonne of fish going is a full time job. GW's in particular test things first - with their jaws! - to see if food. That's why 99% of people are bitten! not eaten! Unfortunately that one bite is often enough to kill!! My sympathy to family and friends......but not the sharks fault!

mini696
23-03-2005, 12:52 PM
I should clarify my position.

These people are heading out searching for a "6m shark", they may know the species, but how do they tell its the same one without cutting it open?

if you were in the water and the shark was heading toward you in a feeding mood would you kill it?
would you kill it it if just ate your girlfriend and was just hanging around...

Yes and yes given the oppertunity.

"In a feeding mood" How do you know?

Ive been in the water with sharks and been scared shitless by them, but would find it hard to justify attacking one unprovoked.

"An eye for an eye will only turn the world blind"

Mick

Burley_Boy
23-03-2005, 01:23 PM
If you're going to kill an animal or a human for that case you should have a better reason than pathetic revenge. If you are saving lives then there is a cause, if you think you are saving lives then there is a cause. So if you are going to kill lets get beyond pathetic media scaremongering as the reasons and justify with actual facts.

I don't think its right to kill a wild animal for mistaking you for a meal especially when you're on their turf unless you are killing the animal to protect yourself ie rhinos bears lions or whatever, they'll happily shred you if they get a chance but lets try to coinhabit with them. If my kid fell into tiger island at dreamworld and got killed it would be stupid to kill the tiger for revenge but sensible to kill the tiger if it would save the child.

dugong
23-03-2005, 03:11 PM
a big no, you enter the ocean at your own risk and the shark is top predator, killing it will serve no purpose.

dasher
23-03-2005, 05:16 PM
Is not revenge a major factor in the lack of world peace. ::) Why single out an animal for a humans stupidity. ??? We all know if we put our little toesies in saltwater we become a target for toothies, our problem not theirs. ??? If a shark comes into a populated area and starts attacking people in the main street I see that as a problem. If it is in saltwater it is not a problem. Regardless of the relationship to any victim I would not seek revenge. >:(

dasher
23-03-2005, 05:29 PM
Big yes here and the guys that said no if a shark took a family member bet you would change your minds. Humans should be no differant an eye for an eye I reckon. How many dogs a year get put down for just bitting people.

Just my Thoughts Mark

Mark with all due respect mate, an eye for an eye is the reason the worlds in such a bloody mess. >:(

And as for dogs getting put down for biting, I reckon 90+% is solely the owners fault. (Maybe we should put them down instead of the dog)

PinHead
23-03-2005, 06:10 PM
"I love the ocean and everything that is in it"..strange kind of love where you go into the ocean to catch its creatures with sharpened hooks and kill some of the creatures you say you love.

Bosunsmate
23-03-2005, 06:49 PM
The eye for an eye theory may be effective when we think of predators such a peadophiles, rapists and the like but not when we invade the sharks or any other creatures environment.

I have trouble understanding why this discussion continues to raise its ugly useless head continuously, are'nt we mostly responsible fisherpersons, and I did say mostly......... 8)

jimbo59
24-03-2005, 03:57 AM
I dont think u can say yes kill all of them or nooooo, because each case of a killing by these things should be looked at, eg an isolated killing on a lonley beach or a rare 38 foot monster thats taken 12 people off bondi.Ithink the demon posessed ones should be uthanased.

DICER
24-03-2005, 04:21 AM
I say feed em.... ;D ;D

They will always be there. And as humans become ever more water loving the risk of a bite will *slightly* increase. Compared to smoking, driving, drinking, rock climbing, skin cancer, surgery, etc etc... they are of little risk to most people.

ssbayguide
24-03-2005, 04:33 AM
Perhaps we should look at the causes:

- remove shark nets;
- stop blaming surf lifesaving volunteers for trying to save lives;and
- most importantly, put Vic Hislop in a Zoo - but don't breed from him.

In a previous life I was a bushwalking and fishing guide in a very remote part of the NT. Saw my share of very large and nasty snakes, sly crocs, wild pigs and nasty whaler sharks. Respect (or is that common sense?) will prevail 99% of the time. When the unfortunate happens, there is little you can do.

I say there are too many variables involved. Historically, our attitudes towards sharks has been disgusting. Seeing black and white footage of wobbegongs getting hit with powerhead spears just sickens me.

Now that I am working mostly with younger people (Uni students), I am impressed by their attitides towards ecology and respect for life.....well, in most cases anyway!

el_carpo
24-03-2005, 05:09 AM
Respect for life? Humans? Not much of that going around in the world as far as I can see. Least of all for their fellow humans. More's the pity. Sorry, there's a case going on here abut euthenasia that really has me upset. I won't elaborate as it is off topic.

As far as killing sharks go, I say take it case by case. If I saw one take someone and I were there at the time. Ka-boom! Dead shark. If someone gets it and weeks go by without further incident, I'd say let him go. You won't get the right one probably anyway. It is their turf, the ocean, you buys yer ticket, you takes yer chances. Having said all this, take care everyone and don't go getting eaten by some toothy, finned stinker. :o

imagineer
24-03-2005, 05:26 AM
yes !!
these are highly intelligent animals and will learn that a feed is just a pair of swimmers away.
Wild animals cannot be allowed to kill they WILL become trained.
They are already trained to come to shark cages and get fed by tourists.
Its very nice to call it a one off but there is only one way to be sure.

el_carpo
24-03-2005, 09:03 AM
That's right about the "Dive with the Sharks!" tourist nonsense. They toss chum (burley) out all day just outside of swimming beach areas to bring in the sharks and then tourists go diving in with them (many times without a cage). The human=food idea gets planted in their little shark brains and tragedy results. Totally nuts! That should be banned everywhere. If the threat of a probable repeat attack is there then sadly you do have to kill the animal I suppose but I still hate to see that happen and would hope that other options could be taken. (Relocation?, I don't know.)

But yes, absolutely, I think that shark diving for amateur tourists is stupid and dangerous.

SeaHunt
24-03-2005, 09:06 AM
"I love the ocean and everything that is in it"..strange kind of love where you go into the ocean to catch its creatures with sharpened hooks and kill some of the creatures you say you love.

He means he loves them pan fried with some lemon, tartare sauce and chips on the side. ;D ;D

Jr._Deckie
24-03-2005, 03:34 PM
i voted no ........... dont get me wrong i hate blood sucking lawers as much as the next guy....... but you can't just kill em all.............. ??? can you , will it cost much?

Jr._Deckie
24-03-2005, 03:35 PM
oooppps used the JR deckie sign on she will be not happy JAN

Jr._Deckie
24-03-2005, 03:36 PM
BigE