PDA

View Full Version : silly question, out deep & tide...

eeww-worms
25-03-2005, 04:08 PM
ok.. bearing in mind I have never gone out in a real boat nor further out than just hugging the shores....

if you are heading out into real deep waters.... the reefs off the gold coast for example (yes I have been told there is no reef off the gold coast but then others say there is...so bear with me)....

assuming I am on a big boat... a charter boat.....

do tides make any diff out there in regards to fishability????

fishingnottake
25-03-2005, 04:44 PM
who told you there were no reefs off the gold coast? go buy a beacon to beacon, we have some of the best reefs anywhere :P as for tides making a difference, for me they play a big role in just getitng out there, as in the bar crossing, but i just seem to get different fish at different stages of the tide, i guess if you were targeting specifec fish you might want to watch it closer, but i;m sure many other anglers are more clued up than me about it, so i deffer to them
ash

Dug
25-03-2005, 05:50 PM
If bananas onboard can affect the days catch I see no reason why the tides cannot be blamed for any failure to catch fish ;D

There are so many factors and variables that any one can guess at anything.

Maria
25-03-2005, 06:03 PM
Without a doubt. Especially the tide changes themselves and their coincidence with the moon phase/time.

Cheech
25-03-2005, 06:05 PM
Worms, whoever said to you there are no reefs,,, from this point onwards you can safely disregard anything that person says to you.

as to your question, yes current can make a difference. We are currently in a period of high current. Lucky that surface fish happen at the same time as high current, otherwise ther would be a lot of stroppy fishermen around.

If the crux of the question is should you do a charter, and is this a good time, I would say yes do a charter, but probably wait a month or so when the current drops a bit. Will then be more comfortable.

Then as to the boat, if you are not use to off shore, you may be better off on a larger boat as it is a bit more stable.

So the above assumes, and I hate assuming.

Cheech

Cloud_9
26-03-2005, 12:58 PM
get some sea sickness tablets.
being on a boat in the rivers and creeks is 1 thing but offshore is different .

Cheers Cloud 9

Volvo
26-03-2005, 01:07 PM
:)Be aware that your high n lows could be somewhat ealier n later the further out you get too..
Cheers

tideline_two
27-03-2005, 08:30 AM
i've never been to austraila but trust me on this... never take a bananna on a boat if the tide is falling or riseing. tides ..anything in less than 30 fathoms is affected by tidal flow. they may bite on the ebb they might bite on the rise but they will bite...... i think .

dwells
27-03-2005, 08:36 AM
Tides do impact on your fishing but different fish react to different tides differently

saphire
27-03-2005, 10:01 AM
Hi eeww worms,
All of us women know that tides and the phase of the moon effect everything.
Have a fantast Easter and I hope you catch lots of yummy fish.
saphire:)

Burley_Boy
27-03-2005, 10:50 AM
You will find that the current on the reefs such as Mermaid and Palm Beach reef will run and slow down to the point where there is very little movement depending on where in the tide cycle you are. High current flows means more weight if you want your bait to reach the bottom, but like the guys said, at the moment we don't fish the bottom much at those spots. Spots being the operative word... ;) Fishing the tide change is reccomended in these areas.