PDA

View Full Version : PIP'S SHELLS AT WELLINGTON POINT

redspeckle
20-03-2005, 03:35 PM
I when for a walk out to King Island last weekend to clear my head a bit sudden passing of my brother,(see bribe bridge passage snapper post )
I was [smiley=angryfire.gif] [smiley=furious2.gif] [smiley=furious.gif]seen these people pick up pip's shells by the shopping bag full , no wander there is hardly no fish in the bay when these poeple take away these small living pip's shells so there's nothing for the little fish to eat its not like they can get take out, i want to have [smiley=argue.gif] with the people for taking these living shells away ,just think how many shopping bags are taken away each weekend + during the week Does this happen thorough out the bay [smiley=huh2.gif] & is their a number limit on these shells if so i would like to do something about this & can you help me

Mitch Go [smiley=cowboy.gif] in 2005

redspeckle
21-03-2005, 06:14 AM
Are these people breaking the law ??? by taking huge amount of these little pip's shells and god no what eles they take as well in living shells from moreton bay at low tide

Mitch Go [smiley=cowboy.gif] in 2005

Sideshow_Cod
21-03-2005, 06:53 AM
samething used to happen with pipis at places like stockton in nsw ,as mentioned earlier usually by those who"no speak a da english".. Its wholesale rape and do whatever you can to stop it or have laws introduced to stop it if none are already in place. Save the planet for another day. :'(

gif
23-03-2005, 01:07 PM
Nice to hear this information - but there is no point just stopping there.

There is a bag limit of 50 ( per person) for any Mollusc (excl Oysters)

Call Fish Watch Hotline 1800 017116 put this number in your mobile phone right now - you never know when you need it.

This Aussie thing about not dobbing someone is the weirdest and stupidest thing I have heard of.

The DPI guys are not evil. They will give people warnings etc where appropriate.

So - don’t call DPI in General call Fish Watch Hotline 1800 017116 as soon as you see it

Tell them

- all the details and exact location
- make a specific request that they take action
- tell then the next low tide so then can check it tomorrow.
- As for their name and write it down
- Give them your name and details
- Post it up here at Ausfish

Then we can ask Sunfish or Fishing Party (or both) to follow up what action was taken.

Only if we take our fishing environment seriously will we have anything left.

Gary

Nugget
23-03-2005, 01:41 PM
Thanks Redspeckle for PMing me about this.
It definately needs to be followed up.
I'll start the ball rolling through my media contacts.
Gary is 100 per cent correct - the first action is ring the hotline number.
When you do, make sure you leave your name and contact number as well as your complaint.
I'd also ask everyone that rings the holine number, to email or PM me the time and date you rung it.

Thanks

Dave ><>

adamleah
23-03-2005, 04:33 PM
Unsure if these would be "Live " Pippies ????
I have spent many years down there and havent seen enough to fill a handful let alone a bagful ? If I had of I'd be using them for baity 8)

There is however plenty of shells and dead coral that tourists always pick up.
I do realise that removing shells is illegal but that happens everywhere and doubt it ever gets policed.

Derek Bullock
23-03-2005, 05:02 PM
I think we are talking about those little black periwinkles on the rocks not beach pipis.

Derek

MulletMan
24-03-2005, 02:59 AM
You guys might recall when Thompsons Beach of Vicky Point was a brilliant place for Dad and the kids to chuck a line in.....yeh!
The Asian Aussies moved in raped and pillaged the entire foreshore on anything that moved. If you resembled a shellfish (size no matter) you had a very short life expectancy. Then the cast and bait nets came along and bingo, next thing is a totally denuded beach and foreshores. Some years back, prawns were prolific off the northern ramp and again the Yellow Raincoats came in and there has not been a decent catch for years. I am not saying they wiped them out but I hae seen them take the entire school from their tinnies in a matter of half an hour.......... and these guys use the big cast nets and know how to use 'em! I spent many, many years in Asia and to go through the seafood markets over there and see that if it is wet, lives in saltwater and moves, it is fair game!

redspeckle
24-03-2005, 05:29 AM
I think we are talking about those little black periwinkles on the rocks not beach pipis. thats what derek said (it might be my mistake not spelling the words right & expalning topic proplerly)
I am taking about these little white shells smiller to a pipi shell but heaps smaller and they are living shells are in the sand .
I read the latest post on this subject thank's for the reply's keep them going i think important keep fish life in food for Moreton Bay & around Queensland +other states
well you wouldn't belive it the number i rang for Fish Watch Hot Line at 8:00pm last night i was speaking to same person i rang on DPI at 2:00pm number name Don Garder .
this incdent ocuur on 12/03/05 at 4:30 pm thats time people where taking these living shells , i see this weekend hoilday period low tides over easter are in the late afternoon could be a prime time to catch theses people breaking the law maybe ?
thanking you Mitch

Derek Bullock
24-03-2005, 06:49 AM
Thanks Redspeckle. I know they give those other shells a caning as well. Most of Moreton Bay's foreshore is just about devoid of them now.

It's got to be stopped thats for sure.

Derek

redspeckle
29-03-2005, 02:29 PM
Well this afternoon going for my run/jog i notice at Thorneside at the Beth Boyd Park foreshore two person's picking up Mollusc shells a shopping bag full [smiley=thumbsdown.gif] .
( happen about 5:00pm )
so i rang the fish watch hot line they said a woman just reported on same incident she gave them a rego number [smiley=laola.gif].
Iwas gald wasn't the only person reporting this i know its not a victory but its a start so will see what happens so keep ear out on it

Mitch go the mighty [smiley=cowboy.gif]in 2005

imnotoriginal
29-03-2005, 03:36 PM
Excellent work mate and it's great to hear that there was at least one other person willing to report the incident. The number's in my phone too. Keep up the watch.
Joel

toorbul_terror
29-03-2005, 04:01 PM
Its all right to ring the gov bodies concerned but by the time they follow up its all over and no action taken. We have found here with crabs and crustaceans over the last five years on the run up to the full moon and the big low tides they run rampant should we go back to the good old days and say shots fired