PDA

View Full Version : Quota System for reco's..... Your thoughts?

Fisher_Boats
29-03-2005, 04:15 AM
Myself and a couple mates have been talking about a quota system for reco's rather then or combined with bag limits.
It could work like this...
You buy tags for the amount of fish you want to catch per year. Say you want to catch 30 snapper for the year you buy 30 disposable snapper tags for say $2 each. So now you can go and catch 30 snapper all in one or two or how many trips you want. Say you get to go twice a year, the way the bag limit system is now, it is not fair to the person who has just spent $60k on a boat $4 k on tackle and then #$200- $300 #for the actual offshore trip that he might get to do only two or three times a year. So why should he be told you have got your five fish now that's it. With a quota system there would obviously be a limit on how many tags you could buy for each species that you want to target. At least they would get a much closer idea on how many fish come out of the system, at the moment with bag limits they really don't have any idea on how many fish are coming out of the system. Policing it would be the same as bag limits, if there's no tag on the fish then you’re in strife. The tags are possibly a cable tie with some sort of id system on them that you put around the tail and have to cut off. Something that is not reusable. It could possibly work for all species of fish but I think offshore is where there needs to be a USER PAYS system.
Would be interesting to hear everyone's thought on this.

Cheers Col

PinHead
29-03-2005, 04:28 AM
It would never work and cost way too much to implement and police.

agnes_jack
29-03-2005, 04:51 AM
They need to police the current regs before it would be a workable option.
And beside that, if someone can afford a60k boat and 4k worth of tackle for the sake of one or two trips per year, I don't feel sorry for him ;D ;D ;D

Regards, Tony

NQCairns
29-03-2005, 04:55 AM
Why buy the tags they should be free (how much does the comercial guys pay for their tags :-X),
I dont like the idea of creating the extra fisheries positions, gov is already far and away accomplished at creating positons based on some percieved/political need.

Benny
29-03-2005, 05:46 AM
Nice in theory, lol. Policing is always a problem. As for the extra fisheries position it would be great 4 me (qualified fisheries biologist - need work in that field). It must be frustrating with the investment in boats and gear plus heaps of fuel to go out and take only 5 snapper when they are on!!.
Are bag limits realistic, my thoughts wonder whether they are a promotion for high grading, hmmm, what to do with that 37 cm snapper in the bag limit when just caught a 70 cm monster?????.

;D
Benny

markpeta
29-03-2005, 06:50 AM
Why would you want to give the goverment more money ?????
They wouldn't spend the money that we would pay for the tags on restocking just getting more patrol boats out there to put more fines onto us. We should hit the goverment up for maybe 2% of the 10% GST that we pay on our tackle,boats,bait and anything to do with fishing to restock and buy back commercial licences.
We pay GST on Fuel for the car to get to the boat ramp,tackle,bait,car rego,boat rego,trailer rego,safety gear,bot fuel and oil cant imagine why you would want to give them more. [smiley=wut.gif] [smiley=wut.gif]

Fisher_Boats
29-03-2005, 07:02 AM
Policing would be no different then now (there's hardly any that I see anyway)
What's the difference for them to check numbers of fish or tagged fish #???
How do they know how many fish people are taking ,or as Benny said, being thrown back dead for the bigger one?.....at least they would have a better idea of what fish are being taken.
Say you catch 10 snapper instead of 5 snapper and 5 pearlies (or whatever) what's the problem with that?
Yeh sure this will probably never happen but who knows what's down the track these days :)
Markpeta ..don't you only get fined for doing something you shouldn't?
So ok we don't pay for the tags, have to work something out for that

Cheers Col

Lucky_Phill
29-03-2005, 07:22 AM
Hey Col, #don't know exactly what your point is here ?

A quota system you say ! #Are you suggesting that us fishoes can pre-determine how many fish we are going to catch in one year, ( I'd like to see that ). ?

You go #further to suggest that people who spend the most on the boat and gear, should feel hard done by, should they reach their bag limit early. Let's take the offshore boys then !

say 4 mates on a 6mtr boat, fish offshore Mooloolaba.

What are they legally allowed to bring home #EACH :-

1......5 Snapper
2......5 Pearlies
3.......5 Spottie Mackerel
4.......3 #Spanish Mackerel
5.......30 School #Mackerel
6........5 Spangled Emperor
7........5 Red Emperor
8.........5 #Coral Trout
9.........5 #Cod
10........5 #Wahoo
11........30 Trag Jew
12........10 Dolphin Fish
13........30 Trevally
14..........10 #Cobia
15...........10 Yellow Tail Kingies
16...........5 Fingermark
17...........12 Grass Sweetlip
100kgs of mac tuna
50kgs of bonito
50kgs of Yakka
50kgs of Slimie macs, yellow tail, need i go on ?
( THE ABOVE FIGURES ARE A GUIDE ONLY, AND THE ACTUAL NUMBERS OF BAG LIMIT AND IN POSSESSION IS NOT ACCURATE, BUT WITHIN THE LIMITS )

and there is scope to take more.

The above is what LEGALLY can be taken and IN POSSESSION #by an Individual. #multiply that by 4, and jeez that is a boat full of fish.

Why would you want a quota system, when the current bag limits and in possessions limits are fair to the rec angler. In my opinion.

More thoughts ?

Phill

agnes_jack
29-03-2005, 07:28 AM
That also opens the field for taking extra fish from spawning aggregations too.
You could save all your tags and use them to target fish when they are easiest to catch, therby catching more fish than usual. Imagine 4 anglers with a quota of 30-40 snapper for the year, thats up to 120 snapper to a boat, very damaging at the wrong time. This would open the way for huge mis-use of the bag limit system.
The bag limits are fair as they are and in some cases need reductions in my opinion.

Regards, Tony

mackmauler
29-03-2005, 07:30 AM
I like the bag limits as they are compared to the quota idea, say like the good old days you have 3 on the boat at tempest and the snapper are ready to spawn 90 snapper in a trip was possible, sure you can call that your quota but if the fish are breeding and schooled up its best to leave em do there thing imo. given how many people are fishing out here, SEQ, the in possession limit is fair to everyone and if you cant make the effort to get out and burn your fuel on the unproductive days then tough shit, I might be more in favour of a quota system if closed seasons and moon phases were part of our rules.

I see a major loop hole in that a boat coming in with 30 fish each that are not tagged could say yep just a minute where tagging them now... at least once you have 5 thats it, any extras and your in trouble, the number of fish not declared as a quota catch would be huge imo.

Lucky_Phill
29-03-2005, 07:35 AM
Further, is the fishoe that buys the 60K boat ONLY going to use that rig for fishing. ? me thinks not. Family days out, skiing etc will be undertaken. The cost that one spends on the hobby should NOT relate directly to the result wanted.

If we all fished to the budget and train of thought that we wanted our fair share for effort and cost, 99% of us would have to give the game away.

I think ya missing the point Col. ;D

Most are right, in that the Policing of any policy brought in by the Govt to control rec anglering, will be minimal and have little effect.

As I have said on many ( soapboxes ), ocassions, if you, as an individual, do the right thing, it will not only give you peace of mind, but also encourage the next generation of fishoes.

We appreciate the post, Col, and always want to hear the thoughts of fellows Ausfishers.

The big picture here Col is " Trawlling in Moreton Bay ". Stop that rape, and the fish stocks will flourish.

Also, let's give the recently introduced bag and in possession limits a chance to work. We are already seeing the rewards for the " ring netting stoppage" and the great Spanish Mac season so far ( rec bag 3 ).

Cheers Phill

dfox
29-03-2005, 07:57 AM
Bag limits are the go, i believe. The smart sucessful fisherman never bags out on his target species, you always keep one up your sleeve and C & R. Just in case that once in a life time fish comes along.
Thats what i do, count the pearlies in my last fishing report, 3 fishos on board=14 pearlies.
The greedy ones will exploit any regulations regardless...

dugong
29-03-2005, 08:32 AM
bag limits,min/ max lengths and closed seasons in my opinion will do more to preserve fish stocks than a quota system. the reasons, the guys have allready listed so i won't bother repeating them again.

Fisher_Boats
29-03-2005, 08:59 AM
Hey Phil,
# # # # # I put this post up for everyones thoughts as an alternative and I hear everyone. It's something we have been discussing for a while and just keen to get feedback on the idea.
Please don't take this the wrong way I am in no way looking for a way to rape and pillage :o
They still don't know what's coming out of the system the way it is.
I think the main point made is that the fish probably could take a hammering at the wrong times.
I also believe water quality is a big problem that seems to get overlooked as well.

Cheers Col

ps I'm not lobbying for this... only discussing ;D

Burley_Boy
29-03-2005, 09:59 AM
I'd have to agree that with a tag system you could fill your boat with spots if they were firing on a particular day and if everyone did that on that day it would take a hammering on the stocks at least on that day... with daily quota (ok so it says "in possession...) you would limit the take on that day and I think that is constructive.
I'd be more intersted in knowing what really has effect on fish stock and what doesn't otherwise we might be discussing reworking regulation in an area that is currently working (for those that adhere to the regulations). If we want a better outcome for the environment then the key is to look at where the damage is really caused and address that, whether it is commercial, illegal or rec fishing.

Kerry
29-03-2005, 11:13 AM
One can just imagine those that might be suggesting such a tag system might say when it comes back and bites them as well as everybody else.

Some people in this little wide world want this type of activity totally shutdown and that could just be the first way towards controlling this activity by stealth.

Until some of the rats who really want to totally curtail fishing as an activity are under control then suggesting anything that might help their cause really doesn't warrant consideration. Things won't stop at 30 or whatever magic figure some might find "'convenient".

Some bright spark might start with a reducing quota system on effort ::) yeah everybody will get a transponder so they can keep an eye on you ;D

Cheers, Kerry.

Daintreeboy
29-03-2005, 11:45 AM
Bag limits are fine as most people here have said. Policing is the issue and imo the government can afford more inspectors anbd we should have them. Most of us are responsible fishos but the minority who give us a bad name need to be caught. Without inspectors on the ground this will never happen regardless of the system you impliment.
Cheers, Mark.

markpeta
29-03-2005, 01:09 PM
col_s hope you kept the lid for the can of worms you opened better get it back on quick [smiley=oops.gif]

Fisher_Boats
29-03-2005, 01:34 PM
No mate....just threw the bloody lid away. ;D ;D

Interesting reading the thoughts on it though specially#Kerry's :o

Cheers Col

banshee
29-03-2005, 02:10 PM
Would open the floodgates on mexicans who come up for only a short period,as it stands they are restricted to bag limits,quota system could have people legaly carting a lot of fish south.

Boxhead
29-03-2005, 04:32 PM
Col,

Why is it important to know what is coming out of the ocean?? We haven't got a clue what is out there in the first place.... so, if we gather a heap of info on numbers of species etc, how does that help us (as a rec fisho)?? All this would achieve is the fueling of the greenies fire, and along with that we will get more restrictions.

Generally speaking Rec fishos are smart, they will look after their beloved pastime and obey bag limits, size limits, etc...

If the system is working, why change??

If we truly value our pastime we should be nailing the pros, not ourselves...

Nath...... [smiley=end.gif]

Benny
30-03-2005, 08:19 AM
box head

Knowing what comes out of the ocean can provide valuable information on the status of fish stocks. For example average sizes, catch per unit effort etc.
Col, good to see some different thoughts, as there are problems with any effort to protect a 'common resource', such as, policing, high-grading etc.
Phill, mate like you say maybe more emphasis should go into protecting juvenile stocks and habitat that are destroyed daily by the trawl fisheries!!.
All in all at least efforts are being made, and we are constantly moving forward, as we dont want similar occurence to the infamous North Atlantic Cod fishery :-[ :-[.

I think it is about time the bushy eyebrowed leader should place some of that g.s.t surplus in providing adequate enforcement and research into these things. He didnt mind taking $20k off me (HECS) to become a fisheries biologist, where are the openings JONNY >:( >:(

Benny

Dignity
30-03-2005, 09:37 AM
Col, it is good to see someone trying to come up with alternatives. Not sure this is a good one though. I would imagine that if we all decided we wanted 30, 40 or 50 snapper each some greenie out there will use the aggregate number of tags sold and use the stats to reduce the number of fish an angler can catch. You would find that within a few years you would only be able to purchase a combined total of 50 tags for the year - if it could be policed. Something like show your drivers licence etc on purchase.

Are pros still able to get undersize by-catch, if so this is probably more important to try and regulate.

Sam

lordy
30-03-2005, 12:43 PM
It's not a bad idea, I just don't think its practical.

Don't tag you fish, if you don't see a fisheries guy then you keep the tags for the next trip. If you do, quickly tag them before he gets too close.

Who will stop fishos from reusing their tags? Unless some is at every boat ramp counting fish tags its a major rort.

Bag limits do help. Image a bag limit of 5 fish, 8 trips
17 fish
4 fish
1 fish
4 fish
15 fish

Bag limits: 19 fish. Tagging: 41 fish (if you have 41 tags).

Its too easy to cash in on the good days.

Charlie
30-03-2005, 02:46 PM
Bag Limit or Quota,really the same thing arn't they.No reason why you could'nt buy two licenses and keep two bag limits or get a discount license with half the bag limit.
Charlie