PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed

Brejen
01-04-2005, 04:36 PM
I have just read in the latest BNB that Greg -Reefmaster will not reporting on D.I anymore due to some problems that he didn't want to go into. Well I'd just like to say thanks to Greg and that I, and I'm sure many others, are disappointed at this news. One of the first articles that i read in the mag is Greg's and always enjoy them and learn from them. I hope that I'M not out of line posting this but felt that Greg and his Father deserved the recognition and respect for his articles and experience, that he took time to share with us. Am looking forward to reading your new articles but will miss the old ones. Thanks Greg have taken a lot of things that you have written about and put them into play. Hopefully you will still post some great fishing photo's on this site, and keep a lot of us wishing we were there as well.
Brett

Daintreeboy
01-04-2005, 09:06 PM
That is a bit of a shame. Greg, if you read this, any chance you can go into it on this forum? Interested to know why you've made such a big call mate?
Cheers, Mark.

Da-Jew-Man
02-04-2005, 02:25 AM
Greg, I found your articles professional and straight to the point with none of the writers bull sh?t.The photos were always excellent.
I fish the beach and have only been out in a boat a few times.
You have nearly convinced me to start floating on the water.
Keep us posted here.
Best regards, Da-Jew-Man

Reefmaster
02-04-2005, 07:15 AM
Guys thank you very much for the kind words and support it's much appreciated.
Its not a big deal just one that i respected and decided that writing on DI could ruin things for others who have fished up there for along time aswell.

The biggest problem is the fact you can not camp on the bayside of DI. As i wrote in the lastest BnB its been like this for last 15 years (approx) Some like ourselfs sleep in the boat on trailer or on the water while others set up campsites. (if you sleep on the sand at the bayside its classed as camping no matter how you do it) Now this starts problems because the ranges can not say its good for some and not for others which is far. With the increase in fishos to DI it could turn into a real problem with all of us being fined and kicked out on regular basis. I did not want to be the slightest responsable for all the regular DI fishos being kicked out so thats one of the main reasons why i stopped.
Most of these people who have made comments about there concerns have been nice so i suppose i respect there comments even more. It was my decision to stop writing on DI and none of these guys asked me to stop but just expressed there concerns.(well some may have ask me to stop but they weren't real nice to talk too) I have had alot of good feed back which makes me really want to continue writing on DI which may see me continue but on a less basis. (just a thought at the moment) I will play it by ear and see how it goes. Once again thanks

Cheers Greg

Anne-T-Dote
02-04-2005, 08:35 AM
GREEEEEEEEGGG........ - N-N-N-O-O-O-OOOOooooooooo........ :'( :'( :'(
OOOhhhhh what a shame. Your reports (and Dave Fox's) are ALWAYS a cut above ALL others in the SE Qld area. I CERTAINLY will miss reading yours. My blood always starts pumping when I see that there's a post from you or foxy on the main page. And without fail avery time, after having read them my adrenaline is peaking and the imagination is running wild for days with anticipation that I may someday experience what you guys so often do.

BUT, in saying that, I truly take my hat off to you and ABOSOLUTELY TOTALLY respect you for your decision. The sign of a TRUE gentleman of the sport, not only generous in sharing your experiences and knowledge, but respectful of other peoples hard earn't local knowledge and secrets.

I would also like to personaly thank you for all the information that you've passed on to me over the past couple of years or so through this web site and BnB - not just about DI, but about fishing offshore generally. I've never been off DI, but my fishing in other offshore areas (areas that I can get to in my little 15ft side console) has improved greatly through using some of the methods you do, especially with respect to searching for fish - I always used to keep going to the same old spots all the time, but now thanks to you and my new found confidence in doing a bit of exploring, I'm starting to build a bit of a repertoire of fishing locations of my own.

I've still got a LONG way to go though in terms of quality and consistency compared with you guys, which is why I'm going to miss your reports so much. No doubt though you'll continue writing in some form or another, but I'm assuming in doing so you'll probably just not be specific about location - is that right - I really do hope so.

Anyway, all the best and thanks again.

Rob McNamara.

Anne-T-Dote
02-04-2005, 08:38 AM
PS Brett (aka Brejen): Thanks for the heads up - I haven't seen the latest BnB yet, and congrats on being such a sport. Good stuff.

Rob.

mackmauler
02-04-2005, 09:31 AM
Macca, youll have to head up to DI and get gregs autograph, dont worry gregggy we still luv ya mate ;D

PinHead
02-04-2005, 09:44 AM
Greg only signs autographs on the 3rd Wednesday of each month between 3pm and 3.10pm..and that is with an appointment with his manager.
Will miss your reports Greg.

DaneCross
02-04-2005, 09:49 AM
As long as you keep post your reports on here I'll be happy ;D

Lucky_Phill
02-04-2005, 12:09 PM
And from another perspective. ( as always ::) ).

Yes Greg, great reports and pics from ya favorite haunt, BUT, as you now know, it is hard to write a full story, month after month on the same area. The pressure on ANY mag writer, is to meet deadlines set by the Editor.

There have been many writers come and go for the above reason, I mean, how many times can you write about Snapper in Moreton Bay.

I personally hope to see a report from DI area, every so often in BnB. And I'm sure you will oblidge Greg ;)

A writer in any fishing mag is also pressured to reveal more detail info on his/ her fav area/ fish etc. This can lead to a " rush " into the area written about. This in turn will have spinoff effects of, over fishing etc. Yeah, sure it's great to get all the info on a new spot, but how many of us have been to a " remote/ lightly fished " area in years gone by, only to see it hammered these days ?

( 1770 and Fraser island for instance )

Let's not forget, Greg and Terry have been fishing this area for many years, and maybe Greg can confirm or elaborate on the increased boat traffic in this area ?

Further, I know that the farmers from the Gympie district have been knocking off Reds from DI close reefs, since Jesus played fullback for the Israelites. And I am sure they are none too happy to see the boats that are plying the waters now.

Also, the charter boats are now starting to appear in numbers. YES< I know, population growth means more fishoes out there, and with new technologies, more are getting out further and increasing their " effort".

As a side track, Webby writes ( from Mud to Macleay for BnB ), yet he has come up with some ' novel' articles, and they are still a good read. I know that Greg has more varied stories that should adorne the mag.

How about a pic of a ' UNDERSIZED " fish Greg ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cheers Phill

michael_Brewer
02-04-2005, 12:34 PM
there are no undersized fish at D.I! ;)

onya greg, have always enjoyed the bnb read and sure hope you'll still keep us ausfishians upto date!!!
thanks mate
mickyb

Reefmaster
02-04-2005, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the support guys but jesus Macca anyone would think foxy and myself are paying you to say such words. ;D :o Thanks for the kind words mate. Would be good to meet you one day or better still fish with you.

Phill- Sorry but i disagree with you on on a few of your comments. Writing articles on the same area for me isn't that hard as long as you keep it interesting. some other areas maybe different but DI has so many options to write about. Most writers use topics which are explained in one issue then they need another topic for the next one. After a while you run out of topics ( unlike webby). I try to report on DI with most recent trips to let people know whats being caught and where while also writing tips/hints within the article. This i beleive will not make the articles boring for the readers. Its only when the weather doesn't allow you to get out that i can't report this making it a good time to write about certain topics that require a full article to explain. Making dead lines for articles isn't that hard although if you have just done a trip and the article is due the next day you gotta get cracking but theres always alittle extra time they will give you if need be.

None of the above mentioned has anything to do with why i stopped reporting on DI.
As you say this is the reason why so many others have stopped over the years. ;)

As for the rest of your post i couldn't agree more with what you have said. :)

As for the extra number of boats heading and launching from DI its hard to say but 6-8 months ago i saw more boats then ever but over the last couple of months things have settled down but i believe this to be from the fact there is very little protecting in the bay area at the moment, which is making it hard for a launch and retrieve and turning poeple off. The areas i fish dont seem anymore busy but i couldnt tell you how many are heading out the bar either. I couldn't tell you if my articles have had any effect on the extra fishos heading to DI but some seem to think so. Who knows.

Phill have got any pictures of undersized fish that i maybe able to use in an article. ;) ;D

Last weekend i did a trip out from the cape upto wide cal which was an area i never had fished before. Thought it would make a good article on fishing new areas for the first time. Gee im glad we got a few fish otherwise it would have been pics of undersize fish. ;D

Phill would love to see you back at DI for another crack soon mate.

Cheers Greg

Fisher_Boats
03-04-2005, 04:28 AM
Hey Greg,
Respect your decision re camping on the beach.... but the other.. I thought it was a free world. ::)
You put a lot of effort travelling up there to fish how you do. To me there is a big difference in people reading your articles and actually getting out and getting fish on board. It's not like you're handing out marks to everyone.
I guess one door closes and another opens.
Anytime you want to head out wide of Bribie where we fish to do a story let me know and I'd be happy to pass on some local info if it's of any help.
Cheers
Col

ps no undersize fish pics ;D :-X

Lucky_Phill
03-04-2005, 10:17 AM
No worries Greg.

maybe I didn;t explain it right, but you got my drift, and Yes, I will be out there soon. But not from that beach :o

Do a bit of wave jumping over Wide Bay Bar, I reckon.

Cheers Phill