PDA

View Full Version : Squire size ?

Big_Pete
03-04-2005, 04:03 PM
Hello All, Just joined and have been checking out the postings.
Being a newbie boatie, I now have all of Morteon bay to try out my old faithful rod & reel. I have been trying to find out if squire have a legal size, or as they are juvenile snapper, does the 35cm snapper minimum relate to the squire. I tried fishweb but had no joy, can someone in the know help out. A little guidance on some places to try in the bay would be appreciated, generally I put the boat (5.1mtr runabout) in at Cleveland and have given Peel and Rainbow channel a try.

All help appreciated
Big_Pete

finga64
03-04-2005, 04:15 PM
Gidday and welcome Pete,
Mate, it's better to be safe then sorry. #:)
Yep, squire are big snappers in the making.
If you have questions at all they're usually answered pretty quickly here.
As for your question try this link and you'll have your answers about sizes.
http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb/11416.html#limits
If you venture down to NSW the new measuring stickers for the boats have pretty coloured pictures of all the popular species, a ruler and they're free at most bait shops ;)
You'll get some replies from the locals about spots. #;D
Cheers and good luck #[smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Lucky_Phill
04-04-2005, 01:10 AM
Welcome Pete,

with regard to info on Moreton Bay, may I suggest you spend a few hours scanning back through the " Fishing Reports " in here.

Then maybe, look at a fishing mag like " Bush'n'Beach' from your local newsagent.

I'm also sure that some folk here will help out.

Just saying you like to fish certain areas, is a bit ambiguos, maybe you should a Q about your ' target ' fish.

Peel Island will hold numbers of Grass Sweetlip and Squire at the moment, and with the cooler months approaching, Bream will come on. But there are any number of other fish that inhabit the areas you mentioned.

Then again, with a 5.1mtr runnabout, the whole of the Bay is within your reach, including the western shores of Moreton Island.

Good luck,

Cheers Phill