PDA

View Full Version : Who was it ?

bugman
29-03-2005, 04:23 AM
ABC News Monday morning.

"A rescue operation has begun off Brisbane, where a boat's run aground on a reef.

Water police say the 6-point-five-metre vessel, with two people on board, is aground on Flinders Reef, just north of Moreton Island.

Coast Guard vessels from Brisbane and Redcliffe are on the way to the area.

A rescue helicopter from the Sunshine Coast is also en route."

and then

"Two men are back on dry land after being rescued when their boat ran aground on a reef off Brisbane this morning.

Water police say their six-point-five metre vessel was pulled free from Flinders Reef, near Moreton Island, a short time ago, and is under tow to the Manly boat harbour.

The two men were winched aboard a rescue helicopter and have been flown to Brisbane.

They suffered no injuries."

Ciome on... own up - who ran into Flinders ;D ;D

Bugman

PinHead
29-03-2005, 04:26 AM
Hell..that is worse than the charter boat ad...reef..what reef.

On a serious note..at least they are ok.

mackmauler
29-03-2005, 05:20 AM
Brett, seeing you have a 6.5m craft and have the scoop on this story did they drop you off at work first thing ;D ;D

bugman
29-03-2005, 05:28 AM
Rob,

I've always wanted to go for a ride in as helicopter ;D

peterreb
29-03-2005, 05:36 AM
The same happened a couple of years ago,only got the end on the news,A boat high and dry Flinders Reef, he was right in the middle. ??? ???

Big_Kev
29-03-2005, 05:39 AM
Some guys will do anything for a free chopper ride. ;D

michael_k
29-03-2005, 07:26 AM
wont be a cheep ride once salvage and repair bills come in.
mick

propdinger
29-03-2005, 09:19 AM
just seen the short version on channel 7 boat looked ok and the guys were reluctant to have there faces shown ::)

what makes it worse is seeing the conditions they were towing the boat in i knew i should of went out today :'(

roz
29-03-2005, 09:42 AM
Is this investigative reporting by the ABC? Hmmmmm

Burley_Boy
29-03-2005, 09:46 AM
Just listening to the radio log as I went out today and there were a lot of once a year type boaties heading offshore today and the boatramp was clogged with broken down boats as we came back inside.
I assume flinders is a reef you should know about if you travelled in those waters?
Hell of a way to make the news though.

Outsider
29-03-2005, 01:53 PM
Just saw a report on Ten news showing a Seafarer on it's lid after the owner backed it over the edge of his driveway at Nerang. Footage of it being skull-dragged onto a tilt tray upside down.

Bugger

Spaniard_King
29-03-2005, 01:59 PM
dam must have just missed that ::)

I think chnnel 9 has a report on the boat at flinders reef

Garry

adriancorrea
29-03-2005, 03:25 PM
Wasnt me this time Guys lol
Glad to see they are ok though.

Tight Lines
Adrian

skippa
29-03-2005, 04:23 PM
Briefly saw it on channel 7 news. Guys are ok and boat ok too, safely back on trailer. Just looking at it tho, looked like Vic rego with big 'Boronia Marine' badge on the spare wheel cover. Visitors maybe........

Sportfish_5
29-03-2005, 05:37 PM
Maybe they were visitors but even so HTF do you do that at Flinders ???

Looks like the Reef Runner truly lived up to its name :-X 8) ;D ;D ;D

Cheers

Greg

Dug
29-03-2005, 06:12 PM
I'm sorry but how do you run up on a reef like that in clear weather ???

Saw the boat that fell off the driveway too I'm not sure what news it was but you would have to be bad at backing up the trailer. :P

-spiro-
29-03-2005, 06:56 PM
I' like to know how fast they where going.

Kerry
30-03-2005, 04:24 AM
Might fit into the "Grounded by GPS" category :-X

Cheers, Kerry.

Tracker
30-03-2005, 04:55 AM
ourboard leg don't look to flash ::)

SeaSaw
30-03-2005, 05:43 PM
I can't imagine how this could happen. :o I was around Flinders that morning (trolled right past it about 8am) and the water was like a sheet of glass but there was still a good break on the reef edge. You would have to had your eyes closed to not see the reef. Even during the night there was a full moon and great visibility. ???

Makes you wonder.

Mark

NQCairns
31-03-2005, 06:54 AM
Mark he might have gunned it, to clear the bottom, I know I am guilty of taking that chance over sand all the time but wouldn't consider it over reef, you never know what people do!

On TV the leg was stuffed cracked and parted completly half way up with only the gearchange rod keeping it together it seemed so he hit fast and hard, sure to have given them a big fast fright ;D

SeaHunt
31-03-2005, 08:43 AM
Pissed maybe?

NQCairns
31-03-2005, 08:49 AM
certainly he was....after [smiley=hammer.gif] [smiley=jester.gif]

peterreb
01-04-2005, 12:54 PM
Hi all,news scoop.I found out today that it was a couple of local fellows from Redcliffe.I was talking to a mate at his bussiness in Clontarf and told me all the mail about what had happened.
They were using a hand held G.P.S.,pretty dark out at that time of the morning,looking for Flinders Reef on there way to Hutchies,checked the hand held and thougth they were past the reef,water was like a mirror and decided to open it up.The G.P.S. indicated they were past it and going flat strap ended up on top of the reef.They didn't know if the boat had a hole or what the motor was like until day light,hence the call to get rescued.The two fellows are experienced boaties and are lying very low at the moment.
Cheers Peter

propdinger
01-04-2005, 01:53 PM
well they did find flinders....lmao

Cloud_9
01-04-2005, 04:54 PM
recon they will be kicking the ass of who ever gave them the GPS marks. ;D
Cloud 9

boatboy50
01-04-2005, 05:05 PM
Hey,
Does anyone know if the boat at Nerang was a Seafarer Vogue 5.5. Centre Console?
Saw one today but couldnt work out what had happened to it! Top damage as though sheyd been upside down, but no crancks or scratches on the hull itself!
Regards
Darren

saphire
03-04-2005, 04:13 PM
I want to know if anyone who drives a boat has NOT run into something. Sandbanks, mudbanks, reef or charter boat.
saphire.

Big_Kev
04-04-2005, 03:25 AM
I want to know if anyone who drives a boat has NOT run into something. #Sandbanks, mudbanks, reef or charter boat.
saphire.

Not me, nah never, Honest.

blaze
04-04-2005, 03:38 AM
I try and dig ditches in sand only, but having done 2 props in 30 odd years it also means i am blind and cant pick the correct spots to trench all the time.
cheers
blaze

bungie
04-04-2005, 04:13 AM
Ran aground for the first time last weekend :-/
Beautiful morning, suns shining, no wind, water was flat, had the music up loud, flying up Coby Coby creek, missed my turn and then realised, so I locked it hard to port, right up on the mud flats, motor screamed as it fliped up out of the water. And no funny comments from the two guys checking their crab pots. ;D

cooky
05-04-2005, 07:02 AM
i'm new at boating and my first couple of trips out had the experienced boaties with me. still managed to hit sandbanks.

one doing about 40km/h going back to camp and at night we thought we were looking at the entrance bouy light when in fact it was the second one in - chewed up a lovely big sand bank and opened a beer while we very slowly floated 300 metres across the sand banks until back in channel.